Smash Your Scale!!

Options
So last week I was feeling amazing about my weight loss, clothes were feeling looser, I felt stronger and had more energy... I really felt on track and empowered.

And then I bought a scale.

Didn't care for the number to say the least and went into a tailspin of self doubt and frustration. And I thought, this is insane, I'm not going to let a number on a box over rule results that I can see and feel.

So I've decided to go through the rest of my weight loss scale free and I'll know I've reached my goal when I see it in the mirror. Is anyone else doing this?

Replies

• XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    My scale is broken haha. I was just about to get back on the ball to find out it doesn't work anymore. So i'm scale free too :) I also started the 30DS again today and I know for that it is the inches that count, not the scale number!
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Weight loss lesson #1....the scale is a lying B!!!!

I weigh but I also take measurements. There are a lot of posts out here about this topic. For cripes sake don't say a lb of fat is more than a lb of muscle or the posts will riot! lol Some people don't weigh at all. Some live by the scale. I do both, but really go by how my clothes feel.
  • Jongfaith
    Options
    I typically weigh myself at work and lately every time I weigh myself I think "wait just a minute... I am down four sizes and the scale hates me?" So I have stopped weighing myself. Shrug I know I am building muscle, still losing fat and geting healthy and that is what is important. I have been the same weight for around 3 months but I'm still shrinking so I know I am on the right track!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in once a month. I take measurements to keep myself on track. The scale is evil!
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Here's to scale free weight loss!!!!!!

I only get on that thing under duress.

Boo to scales.
  • carstanger
    carstanger Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Found that my scale is close to my doctors and was told to up my protein. I return in May there so I consider that my official weigh in as that is where I got my preop weight and BMI. I thought I wasn't going down on sizes so much, but then put on what I could where when I first started. More clothes to donate!!!
  • greyoutside
    Options
    I like the scale because I have the opposite problem - I have IBS, and so I bloat really easily and end up feeling horrible about how I look. Keeping track of the number on the scale reminds me that I am losing weight and just need to take it easy and wait for the bloating to go away.
  • Beautifulsoull
    Options
    I hate the scale, but I still do my weekly weigh ins. If I find that I'm losing slowly (2-5oz aweek) I check my measurements weekly to see if I lost anything that away . But If I lost a lb or more a week then I check my measurements every 2 weeks. For women the scale is a P.O.S. There is so much that factors into a womans number on the scale. Time of the month can make gain water weight. If your body loves the water weight gain then it can take couple of days to 4days to come off. So always go by how your body feels and how loose your clothes are getting.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Weight loss lesson #1....the scale is a lying B!!!!

I weigh but I also take measurements. There are a lot of posts out here about this topic. For cripes sake don't say a lb of fat is more than a lb of muscle or the posts will riot! lol Some people don't weigh at all. Some live by the scale. I do both, but really go by how my clothes feel.

A lb of fat weighs more than muscle!!!! :tongue: :laugh: Had to do it!!!
  • deanadimples
    Options
    I like the scale because I have the opposite problem - I have IBS, and so I bloat really easily and end up feeling horrible about how I look. Keeping track of the number on the scale reminds me that I am losing weight and just need to take it easy and wait for the bloating to go away.

That's kind of why I used an ap to monitor daily weight. I don't have IBS but I can fluctuate easily. One time I was up like 5 lbs on my MFP weigh day and wanted to cry. The next day or 2 it was down. But by tracking it daily off site I learned my "patterns". After that I only logged new weights on MFP when my daily tracking kept a weight for a certain number of days...which was about once a week.
  • DaddyCrossfit
    DaddyCrossfit Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Our scale broke years ago and never got replaced. I weighed myself at my neighbor's house when I started this a few weeks ago and probably will again after 10 weeks. In between, I'm going by measurements and how my pants fit. In the end, that's really what matters (at least to me).
  • deanadimples
    Options
    A lb of fat weighs more than muscle!!!! :tongue: :laugh: Had to do it!!!

(ducks for cover and awaits the responses) =)
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    No I find the scale to be a useful tool in measuring progress. You just need to develop an understanding of what (besides fat loss) affects your weight.

Other measures (BF, measurements, the mirror) are better indicators of progress, but none provide as accurate of feedback in the short term as the scale

the scale is not a bad guy if you have the correct relationship with it
  • yesmikan
    yesmikan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    A pound of bowling balls weighs more than a pound of feathers!!!!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Gave mine up for lent and I'm kinda jonesing for it but I'm hoping there will be a nice suprise in the end.I feel good though and know I've lost weight by the way my clothes feel.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i hate it, but i weight every morning anyway...LOL