Losing weight with chronic pain

Options
I have chronic low back pain, and physical limitations due mostly to this. Anyone else who can't exercise much trying to lose weight? Most people just dont understand when I'm proud to walk for 6 min at 2.0 MPH! I don't need suggestions, just support.

Replies

• mythdude
    Options
    reposting
  • leosaunt
    Options
    Hi.. I have the same problems due to arthritis in my spine and hip joints (one already replaced!).I'm losing weight but slowly, as like you walking and general exercise is not always possible. Add me as a friend if you would like to?...

the post above (mythdude) was mine too - sorry , that is my son's page and I had been updating his food etc for him when I saw your post. sorry for any confusion.
  • Binkyhog
    Options
    I understand completely!! I have fibromyalgia, arthritis and type 2 diabetes. I am limited to my exercise or I will go into a flare...so do what you can and don't let anyone tell you its not enough. All you can ask of yourself is to do your personal best. A little strength training may be an alternative. Low weight...as long as there is resistance, you will build lean muscle. You are welcome to add me as a friend, actually I would welcome it.
  • pjrbs
    pjrbs Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can do it! I have RA and I walk a couple times a week, do stretching/yoga and calorie cycle. Keep at it. :smile:
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I understand. I was in chronic pain for 7 years of my life. The good news is, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. It helps but limitations are real, and people don't understand what they can't see. I lost 75 lbs, so far in a year and a half. I just counted my calories and made sure I ate 500 less then I burned a day at my resting rate, and it works fine. Just do that, the math is not wrong. It will work for you as long as update your resting rate as you lose weight.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have Neurofibromatosis, and Scoliosis. My backbone is fused from T1-T10. My lower back is curving, and I have a tumor in my neck making LOTS of things impossible. I can barely lift 3lbs in a military press without pain.. I have a bad knee and a bad ankle BOTH on my right leg. And my left leg is slightly shorter than my Right leg. I am missing upper 3 ribs on my left side.

Do I know pain... YES.

How do I deal. I find a lot of alternative moves that work the same muscle but are comfortable for me. And I know that I won't loose weight, or build my muscle as fast as I like but I try damn it. All that matters is that you are trying.

Edit: Yoga and Pilates have helped a ton for my back pain.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am the poster child for chronic pain arthritis,buldging disc, siactica,bad knees,POS,PCSD,endometriosis, just to name a few. I workout 6 days a week 1 to 2 hrs a day. I find the more I move the better I feel. I have my days I feel like am going to die but I pray and keep pushing on. I no its hard but dont let it stop you push threw. Staying still will make you hurt more keep it moving good luck.