Normal To Gain Weight Before Losing?

Options
I'm currently 294lbs 5'7 and just started my diet/working out this past Sunday.

Before this past Sunday I'd probably eat between 3000-4000 calories everyday.

Since Sunday I've stayed under 2000 calories everyday.

My question is, is it normal to gain weight before you start losing?

I've been to the gym everyday since Sunday doing about 30min-45min of cardio each time, and also doing some light lifting switching between arms and legs.

I weighed myself today just to see if the 5 days had shown any results and I actually gained a pound.

Now I know this is a small sample size being I just started and 1lb isn't a huge deal but it made me wonder if its normal.

Replies

• skinnydreams19
    skinnydreams19 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Somehow this always happens to me. Keep it up and don't get discouraged - you should see a drop soon (maybe it's water weight changes right now)!
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

Anyone else have any insight?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The new exercising can cause water retention.

Sodium can cause water retention.

Were you wearing the same clothes?

Was it the same scale?

Was it the same time of day?

Unless you like math and plan on keeping detailed records, you are probably bet off only weighing yourself once a week, or even once a month.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'd bet it's some water retention from the exercise, not actual fat gain.
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    why does exercise cause water retention?
  • concordancia
    Options
    why does exercise cause water retention?

Your muscles hold onto it as part of the repair process.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Causes people who don't know any better to freak out and stop or reduce exercise because they're so worried about the number on the scale not going down.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That's how my weight drops. Pretty much clockwork, lose a pound, gain half a pound, lose a pound, gain half a pound, you get the picture. But looking at the big picture, it is steadily going down.
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    I'm in no way discouraged, just made me curious if that was common.

Regardless for the amount I have usually eaten for some time now, it's been relatively easy to maintain less than 2000 calories.

There hasn't been any times where I feel deprived or anything.

It's nice just to eat when you're hungry and not just because.
  • concordancia
    Options
    Yeah, my favorite saying I have picked up for here is that weight loss is not linear. You will likely experience ups, downs, and stalls no matter how on target you are. It is even worse for women.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    It's a marathon, not a sprint.

That's a great quote.
  • cindybpitts
    cindybpitts Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It is very common! Water retention when the body is stressed with the new working out & dieting. I just read about it. Wish I could remember all the details. Some it last anywhere from a couple of weeks to months.
  • hibo25
    hibo25 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    When I started working out I gained 3lbs and the scale didn't move for three weeks. I was getting discouraged but I realized it was water retention. So my advice to you is to drink LOTS of water. Wait. Exercise and eat healthily. Wait some more. And BAM. Scale will go down.
  • Biglovin373
    Options
    When I started working out I gained 3lbs and the scale didn't move for three weeks. I was getting discouraged but I realized it was water retention. So my advice to you is to drink LOTS of water. Wait. Exercise and eat healthily. Wait some more. And BAM. Scale will go down.

Thank you for the advice
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I think its normal. It could be water retention or inflammation from your workouts. Measure yourself and find out if you lost inches. I gained 2 lbs and lost inches. I weight less in the morning and my weight fluctuates 3-4 lbs throughout the day. It might take 2-3 weeks for you to see your bodies changes on the scale.
  • lynnlove09
    Options
    Working out can also cause the muscles to swell, which also will hold fluids. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will gain muscle faster than you will reduce your weight, so when you weigh in and you find the weight may not be changing, but your clothes fit differently, then you are losing body fat an gaining muscle mass at the same time. When these percentages equal out what you will see on the scale will change more rapidly.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's likely water retention which is really common when you begin a new workout regime. This link does a great job of explaining why it happens:

http://www.choose2befit.com/exercise/why-you-gain-weight-with-a-new-program

Keep up the good work and the weight will start coming off soon!
  • pinkee17
    pinkee17 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life.. I go up and down constantly! It's totally normal. Just keep doing what you are doing and you will see your numbers falling. Keep up the good work, your fine...