Opinions about body fat.

Options
I need some opinions on whether I should travel and invest some time and money to get some accurate readings of body fat.

Currently, I tested my body fat using tanita scale, handlheld BIA, and calipers (personal trainer). They gave me readings from 18-20%. I know they are not that accurate but they can be pretty close to as well (+/- 5% variation). I've opened up my profile so you guys can see if you think I'm really in the 18-20% percentage or close or its way off. Because if it is way off, I am planning to drive up and get an appointment to get bod pod or dexa scan.

I know some people would just say use to mirror. But at my current weight right now, I'm really close to my goal weight and I'm starting to focus more on body fat percentage. I'm a numbers type of person so I would really like to be about 18% body fat.

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    seems a waste of time/money to me. Is the difference between 18.5% and 18.0% that important to you? If you're obsessed with the numbers, at 118pounds, the difference between 20% body fat and 18% is about 2.5 pounds. At 20% you have 94.5 pounds of lean and 23.5 pounds of fat. at 18% you have 96.7 pounds of lean and 21.3 pounds of fat. Looking at yourself, can you tell the difference? No, so why worry?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Even the most accurate body fat measurements will only give you usable information if you are able to repeat them at fairly frequent intervals. If you can't afford or aren't able to do it once a month, it might not be worth it. I would get a good pair of calipers and find a friend who is willing to really learn how to use them. If you have the same person measuring you with calipers again and again, the results might not be perfectly accurate but they should be fairly precise. Having frequent, precise measurements that you can use to see progress is probably more useful than a single measurement that is highly accurate.
  • RetroRob
    Options
    Easily in the 18-20% range judging by your photos
    I need some opinions on whether I should travel and invest some time and money to get some accurate readings of body fat.

Currently, I tested my body fat using tanita scale, handlheld BIA, and calipers (personal trainer). They gave me readings from 18-20%. I know they are not that accurate but they can be pretty close to as well (+/- 5% variation). I've opened up my profile so you guys can see if you think I'm really in the 18-20% percentage or close or its way off. Because if it is way off, I am planning to drive up and get an appointment to get bod pod or dexa scan.

I know some people would just say use to mirror. But at my current weight right now, I'm really close to my goal weight and I'm starting to focus more on body fat percentage. I'm a numbers type of person so I would really like to be about 18% body fat.
  • Bootjockey
    Bootjockey Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone here. Seems excessive.

If you've got that kind of money to spend, just for the curiosity of it, what the heck. But you already know the range you wil be in, and it's maybe what, .5% difference?

I wouldn't.

But, to each their own!

-BootJockey

If you're tired of starting over...
    STOP GIVING UP!!!

-Do It Now!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pics, that seems pretty accurate to me. Fairly lean for a female, but not shredded which would put you in the 14-15% range.

Be aware that the "gold standard" tests can often be really inaccurate too. I've seen some bod pod and dexa results that are just totally wrong. I remember one guy who was obviously in the 6-8% range test out at over 15% in repeated tests.

I'd chalk this sort of thing up to "it really doesn't matter." The calipers and scales are good at telling you if your body composition is changing, which is all that matters.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Here's a good resource for pictures with established ranges and descriptions: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • gallingers06
    gallingers06 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you are stressing about. Putting that much overthought over .5% body fat, in my opinion is absolutely unnecessary. You're beautiful, so love what is looking back at you. :flowerforyou:
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Here's a good resource for pictures with established ranges and descriptions: http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg

Thanks for this. The bod pod cost $75 and dexa for $100. It's not terribly expensive but like what the others said here doing it multiple times to get accurate readings regularly will probably not be worth it. I guess I'll stick to the calipers having the same person measure each time. Thanks for the feedbacks