Snowed in? What do you do when you're stuck?

Options
I live in Illinois, and we're having some killer snow right now. We're supposed to have like a little under 10 inches before the weeks out, but right now it's snowing too hard for me to go the gym.

I know not everyone likes the gym, but it's the only thing I can do to get motivated. I have to be there, away from distractions and with machines that walk me through the exercises.

What do you do when you need to workout at home (or you usually do) and you can't go outside? What do you do for cardio and toning exercises? How do you avoid the T.V and video games?

Replies

• leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I enjoy jogging for cardio, but for really cold days I have some videos I use for cardio. Run around the house in circles, as long as you get your heart rate up.
  • scjl132
    scjl132 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So far the days I've been snowed out of the gym have been on a rest day. However, if I were snowed in I would use the TV to my advantage and either workout to a DVD or just march in place during a movie, do some squats, or just make up some dance moves. Watch a ZUMBA infomercial for some ideas. I hope you get dug out soon.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Pushups, squats, and planks. Basic calisthenics.

I was snowed in today, but it's a rest day anyway. I made bread from scratch and roasted a chicken today.
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    If there's too much snow for the gym, I shovel for exercise.
  • Dexidah
    Dexidah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You all are very productive on snow days.

I've managed to bathe a dog and whine about how cold it is. I'm not sure how many calories that burns, but I'm sure it's not enough. ;)

Thanks much for all the helpful tips.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    If there's too much snow for the gym, I shovel for exercise.

^^^^ this
    You can burn 7 to 10 calories a MINUTE by shoveling snow. That's as much or more than any machine or exercise video!
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I live in Indiana and don't expect to get out tomorrow and I know this won't help but I am going to bake something and probably eat most of it cause that is what I do when it snows!
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I would imagine shoveling snow would burn a ton of calories and your neighbors would adore you. Get the shovel out and start working.
  • kwentz1960
    Options
    Bundle up and shovel! Great workout!
  • SunflowerDawn
    SunflowerDawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There are some great exercise videos available for free on YouTube! I'd pick a couple 10-minute workouts or a longer one to do!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Shovel snow. Then shovel more snow. If that's not enough, go inside and do some pushups, burpees, planks, lunges, etc.
    Then go shovel some more.
  • connief1967
    connief1967 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in Florida right now am from Illinois I watch my calories & walk.:smile:
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    In the deep snow, everything becomes a workout :laugh: Even trudging over to the mailbox takes 10 times the effort.

But seriously, besides snow shovelling, you could do jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, resistance band exercises, and maybe run up and down the stairs.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I do fitness blender workouts on youtube. I go to the gym 3/week but do my cardio at home 2x/week
  • copelvb
    Options
    Turn on the music and go wild and dance, make it your own personl snow day party! It will keep you away from the tv and video games. I dont have snow but I totally do this everytime I clean my house, my very own house cleaning party. If you have a hall way, you could do lunges everytime you go down or up it for any reason. If you want more of a challenge add ankle weights or a weighted vest. Also you could make up crazy rules while the music is on; every time there is a chorus do pushups or situps, every time there is guitar solo do jumping jacks, everytime the singer is whaling out do burpees, etc. The only tools you will need is a stereo, your imagination, and motivation!
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and look up home workouts, a bunch of free workouts and a lot of them you can just use your body for