Questions about "Paleo" Diet and eating full fats!

Options
Recently just did a lot of research about both the "Paleo" and "Full Fat Diet" And I'm really curious to hear about anyone who knows anything about - specifically would love to hear if anyone has gone this route and had success without counting calories and primarily eating meats and vegetables and full fat products like milk and cheeses! Definitely considering trying this out long term - counting calories is just not the best long term option. So curious! Would love any advice opinions or stories! Thank you! :)

Here a couple of websites I've found and researched :

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2105132/Damn-low-fat-diet-How-reformed-vegan-John-Nicholson-gorges-foods-granny-enjoyed--felt-better.html

Replies

• Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but a bunch of other Moms at my sons school have been and they all look amazing. Of course including exercise is key.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are no magic diets. No matter what foods you eat, if you consume too many calories you will gain weight. It's that simple. People have to stop thinking in terms of special "diets" with "good foods" and "bad foods." Just focus on quality food that fits your calorie and protein requirements.
  • acannon
    acannon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried the Paleo diet while I was participating in Cross Fit. I lost a lot of inches off of my body very quickly. I wasn't really sticking with what my fitness pal was recommending, but just using it to keep a log of what I was eating. The diet gets kind of pricey if you do it the correct way. Eating all the grass fed meat, almond flour and other Paleo products. I was doing well with the diet until I developed gallstones, which my doctor said that he has had many cases of people developing gallstones while on this diet. Gallstones and a high fat diet definitely do not mix, so I ultimately stopped. I have seen many people have success but like anything else, it's a lifestyle change, not a diet.
    Good Luck!
  • kawaiiblu
    Options
    I tried the Paleo diet for a little bit. It was actually hard to hit over 1000 calories on it! I was full all the time. I'm going back on it for about a week to try to bust out of this weight loss plateau that I've been seeing for the last 12 days.
  • wo1wendy
    wo1wendy Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    how would this diet work with someone trying to lower their cholesterol?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I agree with eating full fat. Fats were demonized for a long time (like carbs are currently demonized), but in reality, we *do* need them. The Paleo diet, on the other hand, is nothing I would ever try. It restricts too many nutritious foods.
  • I've been doing the Paleo diet for about 5 months now. I've been following a couple different websites to help. I follow Mark Sisson as well as www.ThePaleolithicDiet.org they both have a lot of good info on the lifestyle. Ive lost 12lbs and I feel alot better. But the first two weeks going through the sugar detox was pretty rough. It's worth doing a little studying on the topic before jumping into it.

- Julie
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    i have been on paleo almos 100 days. i have lost 37 lbs and i feel great. i do not count cals!!!! i count carbs. i recommend reading "PRIMAL BODY PRIMAL MIND". I HAVE NEVER FELT BETTER. and my diary is public so take a look