Best Fiber & Protein

Options
Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
Trying to get more fiber and protein in my diet (I hear it helps with weight loss, but not really sure why. If anyone knows this I would love to hear it, in layman's terms!). What are the best sources for these nutrients? Is there a certain time you should eat them (morning vs. eveing, after workout)?

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Beans! Lots of fiber and protein, and if you combine them with rice (brown rice has lots of fiber) it makes a complete source of protein. Fruit also has lots of fiber (although lots of sugar, too) and I really like low fat yogurt for protein, and fruit and yogurt together are a great post-workout snack.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Fiber and protein help with weight loss for a couple of reasons. They help you feel fuller for a longer period of time so you it's a little easier to eat less. And second they break down slowly and don't spike you're blood sugar. Blood sugar spikes cause a lot of insulin to be released and the blood sugar crashes. Crashes cause you to be very hungry and eat more, so by helping conrtol spikes they again make it easier to eat less.
  • curlygirl71
    curlygirl71 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Both will help you to feel more full. The more fiber you have in your system, the more your body works to break it down and it aides in regulation. Protein takes longer for your body to break down so it helps to make you feel full and it also aides in lean muscle mass; which is a glorious thing to replace fat with too! :-)

Not sure about a better time of day for eating these. I get my protein at each meal and in my afternoon snack (since it's my longest wait between meals).
  • gecallo
    gecallo Posts: 135
    Options
    Good sources of fiber are fruits, veggies, brown rice, and whole grain breads. As far as protein goes, aim for fish, poultry, egg whites, or high quality whey protein. Ideally, every meal should have well balanced proportions of protein, carbs, healthy fats, and fiber. The most important meals of the day are breakfast and your pre and post workout meals, IMO.
  • livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    bump
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Gotcha! That makes total sense now! Thanks for the feedback. This will definitely help in my meal planning.

tross- props for the -96! Keep up the great work!