Hypoglycemic Diet

Options
I recently found out I was hypoglycemic and I'm still having a hard time finding foods that don't make me crash or gives me a headache. I need ideas for meals I can make at home and take to work. And also healthy snacks!

Maybe even some suggestions for times when I have to eat out for lunch!

Replies

• xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My advice would be high-fiber (low GI) foods--they're like "slow release" sources of sugar so you don't get a big blood sugar spike and the crash that follows it. Just type "low GI foods" into Google for a list. Avoid refined carbs, because they're generally always high GI. I've also heard that eating protein with carbs helps to slow the absorption of sugars and maintain an even blood sugar.

If you have to eat out, avoid anything that might contain refined carbs (ie. white bread) or huge amounts of sugar (no dessert...) and follow the same ideas as I mentioned above (aim for high fiber foods and lean proteins).

Good luck!
  • Skate_48
    Skate_48 Posts: 6
    Options
    I would go look around the ADA (American Diabetic Association) website. The diet you are looking for is probably close to a diabetic diet.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I am there with you. I ended up going to a dietitian awhile back to get some ideas. Definitely need to eat a mix of carbs with proteins and i found that eating a protein snack before bed makes mornings so much better. Working out has also been a huge factor in getting things under control:

In tea I used Stevia in the Raw. My food journal is public and feel free to search it for some ideas. I have had it for a year so there are a lot of posts (bad days and good days) to go through.

Some snack idea's:
    Yogurt or peanut butter with graham crackers
    Oatmeal with yogurt
    cereal with milk
    Hummus with vegetables.

Night time:
    Lunch meat (no nitrates)
    String Cheese
    Kids Cliff z- bars

Good Luck.
  • 1godiva
    1godiva Posts: 5
    Options
    i make a vegetable wrap with lettuce, bean sprouts, roasted peppers, hummus,and a slice of lowfat cheese. i use flatbread instead of tortillas, because the ones in our market offer higher amounts of fiber then the tortillas do. my friend who is also hypoglycemic uses brocolli and mushrooms in hers.

also i like to eat bean chilli, tacos (i add black beans to the beef because of fiber and protein), and tostadas.

for snacks i reach for a fiber one bar and skim milk, pita chips with salsa (i look for chips that have three grams of fiber), half a peanut butter sandwich on multigrain bread. (some taste like cardboard but i like the sandwich thins by arnold or country oven 12 grain.)