quick weight loss

Options
So I have lost 40 pounds the right way over the last 2 years. I have hit a plateau. I am going on vacation in 10 days and really want to lose 5 to 10 pounds before I go. I know crash diets are not the best but I really want to do this. It is a temporary fix that is all. I just ordered p90x and I am starting that when I get back from my vacation. Does anyone have any ideas for me to lose this weight quick.

Replies

• lisathiessen71
    Options
    Stage 1 of South Beach diet always knocks off my first 10 lbs in 2 weeks. Good Luck!
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ooooo I'm in the same boat of 15 lbs to go. Phase 1 Southbeach does knock it off. I'd forgotten about it and it's healthy!!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    ok.. i'l bite. what is phase one of the SB diet?:flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    5 to 10 lbs in 10 days? Not going to happen in any reasonable way. There's simply no way to lose that much actual body mass in that time besides almost total starvation, and if you do that a lot of the weight loss will be lean and organ mass instead of body fat.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    5 to 10 lbs in 10 days? Not going to happen in any reasonable way. There's simply no way to lose that much actual body mass in that time besides almost total starvation, and if you do that a lot of the weight loss will be lean and organ mass instead of body fat.

I lost 5-10 in 10 days without starving. I did strength training and was getting stronger. Some of what I loss may have been water weight but it didn't come back.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I lost 5-10 in 10 days without starving. I did strength training and was getting stronger. Some of what I loss may have been water weight but it didn't come back.
    For someone totally new to weight loss, they can lose several pounds of water weight and excess glycogen stores in a few days. The OP isn't totally new to weight loss, she's plateaued and wants a kick-start. It doesn't work that way. She'd have to work pretty hard just to start losing again; she's not going to get those noob losses again.
  • tharrington82
    tharrington82 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Well I need something.....at least lose something so I feel good. The south beach thing sounds good. Remember this is not a permanent solution for me.
  • ajhugz
    Options
    So I have lost 40 pounds the right way over the last 2 years. I have hit a plateau. I am going on vacation in 10 days and really want to lose 5 to 10 pounds before I go. I know crash diets are not the best but I really want to do this. It is a temporary fix that is all. I just ordered p90x and I am starting that when I get back from my vacation. Does anyone have any ideas for me to lose this weight quick.

Kind of hard to give you advice without knowing what you currently eat or how often you exercise.
    Things you can try

Do more cardio, workout 5-6 days a week, drinks lots of water, sipping throughout the day not chugging all at once.
    Stay under your calorie goals. Eat small meals every 2-3 hours.
    Get adequate fiber and protein
    You can try a juicing fast if you have a juicer.
    Eat less sodium and processed foods.
    Eat more raw foods, berries, green veggies
    Eat less bad fats
    Most importantly don't starve yourself because it can screw your metabolism over
    Even if you don't lose lbs you might still lose inches so measure yourself so that you have a comparison.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Well I need something.....at least lose something so I feel good. The south beach thing sounds good. Remember this is not a permanent solution for me.

Can't see your diary so I can't see what you're doing now. How many calories are you getting every day? How much exercise do you do?
  • ajhugz
    Options

For someone totally new to weight loss, they can lose several pounds of water weight and excess glycogen stores in a few days. The OP isn't totally new to weight loss, she's plateaued and wants a kick-start. It doesn't work that way. She'd have to work pretty hard just to start losing again; she's not going to get those noob losses again.

I wasn't new to weight loss when i loss when I got those results but to each their own.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    eat very low sodium and drink alot of water
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    10 days is a short amount of time and remember no quick weight loss is permanent weight loss. Start by upping your water and potassium and cutting out all high-sodium products. CHECK LABELS. You will be surprised. This will get rid of any bloat you're carrying, if you're still carrying it.

Avoid strength training (I hate to say this) and do cardio for faster results.

Also, consider juicing - Maybe not a juice fast, but replace a meal with a fruit and vegetable juice that'll be full of nutrients and potassium. What you're doing now is basically a detox so cut out as many processed foods as you possibly can. Consider going vegan even, the change may cause your body to drop a few pounds and dairy can lead to bloat as well.

I know it's a short amount of time but DON'T do anything extremely unhealthy and be very careful. Take good care of yourself and try not to worry too much about how you look on vacation - you're supposed to relax and enjoy yourself, after all.
  • kathygingras5
    Options
    Kick up your work out(more wieght or quick intense cardio/aerobic bursts and increase your protein and have barely any carbs. This will kick start you again into more rapid weight lose.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options

Avoid strength training (I hate to say this) and do cardio for faster results.

If the O.P. is going to do a crash diet I would highly advise to do strength training , you need it, to help minimize the loss of lean body mass.
  • tharrington82
    Options
    That is reasonable advice. I do strength train 4 days a week. I will watch it and change my workout to cardio instead of strength. Thank you.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    That is reasonable advice. I do strength train 4 days a week. I will watch it and change my workout to cardio instead of strength. Thank you.

10 days of hard dieting and neglecting the strength training will *destroy* your muscle mass. Lean mass is *so* hard to build. This would be a terrible idea and I strongly suggest you don't do it.

You'll lose a few pounds, but it'll mostly be muscle. The last thing in the world you want to do is quickly shed a few pounds of muscle.
  • tharrington82
    Options
    You got a great point because my arms do look phenomenal from the strength training. Uggg! Maybe a detox?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Uggg! Maybe a detox?
    Or just a shower, since they serve the same purpose.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    "Still trying to reach my goal of 135. I'm okay with it if i takes another year 1 1/2 to reach it, because I know I am doing this the right way. No fad diets here."

Why change all of a sudden for a vacation? You've made progress; you should feel good about what you've done. You just acknowledged you are a fan of your arms. Focus on the positives and forget about the negatives.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Uggg! Maybe a detox?
    Or just a shower, since they serve the same purpose.

That was pretty good.