1200 calories and hypoglycemic?

Options
Hi, I was just wondering if there are any other girls on here that fallow a 1200 calorie plan and have hypoglycemia. If you do and you keep an open food diery I would love to be your friend! I am new to counting calories and could use some ideas. :) thanks

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    why 1200 calories?
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, so I'm interested to hear any suggestions as well
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I try to eat more than 1200 calories a day but I have been type1 diabetic for 39 years! There is a large group of diabetics on here, hopefully you will find a group of hypoglycemics but my diary is open if you wanna look at it :smile:
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    1200 because I am only 5'2
  • trogalicious
    Options
    what's your BMR/TDEE?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with hypoglycemia- for years. Turns out it was because I wasn't eating enough. I haven't had a single episode since I started eating more, even though I only eat 2 meals a day.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I used to have problems with hypoglycemia- for years. Turns out it was because I wasn't eating enough. I haven't had a single episode since I started eating more, even though I only eat 2 meals a day.

Yep....same exact issue here! I always had issues with low blood sugar and it was worse when I ate too little.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Options
    Ok so, I am sure to look like a fool admiting this but I just googled the BMR TDEE thing and this is what I got...Your Basal Metabolic Rate is: 1347 calories.
    Your Total Daily Energy Expenditure Is: 1617 calories...Guess that means that I should up my calories?
  • trogalicious
    Options

Yep....same exact issue here! I always had issues with low blood sugar and it was worse when I ate too little.
    I'm no scientitian, but I see a trend here..

Yes. Up the calories. Try to net in between those numbers. 1500 looks like a good start.
  • navywendy00
    Options
    5'7 177lbs and wanting to lose 40-50lbs. im hypoglycemic on a 1200 cal. diet with no issues. i excersize 3-5 days a week
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options

I'm 5'0 and eat almost 1800.
    I really recommend looking at this topic:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It helps you adjust your calories based on your height/weight/measurements
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Options
  • trogalicious
    Options

I'm no scientitian, but I see a trend here..

Yes. Up the calories. Try to net in between those numbers. 1500 looks like a good start.
    wouldn't that be a scientist?
    hear that whizzing noise? That's the joke.. flying past...
    This is an awesome place to start.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Options
    LOL, yes. I will start there. Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it. :)
  • trogalicious
    Options
    LOL, yes. I will start there. Thank you all for the great advice. I really appreciate it. :)
    Food is good. :) Double thumbs up, much like your profile pic.
  • TiffCK
    TiffCK Posts: 37
    Options
    I'll be your friend! I upped my calories to 1360 instead of 1260, but I'm actually thinking about lowering it again.. I'm 5'1"/5'2" and hypoglycemic. Actually, I'm almost considering myself cured. I haven't had an episode since I started slowly cutting down my sugar, therefore my body isn't freaking out when I don't get it for a while. But, I believe my hypoglycemia was caused because I ate too much chocolate/candy and things. While I haven't cut the stuff out, I have cut back a lot. I can get ravenous hungry, and still not eat, and the hunger feeling puts itself off until later. And still no episode. I think this diet/exercise is the best thing I've ever done. Because I surely don't want to turn into a diabetic.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    If you are hypoglycemic, regardless of your calories, the goal would be to eat small frequent meals to stabilize your blood sugar. Aim for protein at each meal. For what it's worth, I am the same and have done fabulously well on 1200 calories with heavy lifting or cardio 6 days a week. In fact, haven't had an issue since I started 5 meals a day regularly. And I make sure that I don't exercise on an empty stomach. I need just a few carbs to get me through.
  • TiffCK
    TiffCK Posts: 37
    Options
    Let me say this though, I don't think I was clear. I'm not starving on my diet of 1200-1300 calories. But there have been times since starting the diet that I got very hungry, and just put off eating because I was busy or something.
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Options
    Food most definitely is good! It also improves my mood, which is desperately in need of improvement.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    Let me say this though, I don't think I was clear. I'm not starving on my diet of 1200-1300 calories. But there have been times since starting the diet that I got very hungry, and just put off eating because I was busy or something.

Personally, I never go more than three hours without eating something. Even if it is small, it is better than getting hungry and chewing on the cabinet doors!!!