Does it matter when you eat re working out?

Options
I've read that to restore/build your muscles you should eat protein after working out. Does it actually matter when you have the protein? If I have a protein heavy lunch but don't work out until late at night and don't want to eat afterwards, will that still be okay?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Most likely you'll be okay. It depends on what your overall goals are. But if you eating enough total protein throughout the day you'll probably be fine.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    no
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've read that to restore/build your muscles you should eat protein after working out. Does it actually matter when you have the protein? If I have a protein heavy lunch but don't work out until late at night and don't want to eat afterwards, will that still be okay?

I have found that if I don't have protein right after I work out, I feel way more muscle soreness the day after a workout. I have a protein drink to get that post-workout protein hit, rather than a "real" food. I also don't usually feel like eating after working out, so this has worked for me.
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I don't have protein right after I work out, I feel way more muscle soreness the day after a workout. I have a protein drink to get that post-workout protein hit, rather than a "real" food. I also don't usually feel like eating after working out, so this has worked for me.

Soreness is what I'm wanting to avoid, but I'm not doing much. I'm doing Power 90 with 3lb weights, and even when I get heavier ones it's not like I'm really doing anything serious yet. My "protein hit" is a slimfast shake because it has 10g of protein and I had some left over before I decided not to buy them any more.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If we're talking about 3 pound weights, no special eating plan needed
  • kathygingras5
    Options
    Yes it is okay but even a glass of milk is enough protein to rebuild after a workout
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes it is okay but even a glass of milk is enough protein to rebuild after a workout
    Perhaps for 3 lbs dumbells :laugh: but not for someone squatting,or dead lifting 250 lbs...no seriously,a glass of milk will have what?about 10g of proteins?..even with a 3 lbs dumbells if you do such intense workout that you have sore muscles,10g of proteins will certainly not be enough..I would say 25g will do..for ppl lifting heavy a 40 - 60g portion is more adequate.
    ..but to answer the OPs original question,its not advised to not have any meal after a workout at all.you have to eat after a workout.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Chocolate milk! Yum!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Perhaps for 3 lbs dumbells :laugh: but not for someone squatting,or dead lifting 250 lbs...no seriously,a glass of milk will have what?about 10g of proteins?..even with a 3 lbs dumbells if you do such intense workout that you have sore muscles,10g of proteins will certainly not be enough..I would say 25g will do..for ppl lifting heavy a 40 - 60g portion is more adequate.
    ..but to answer the OPs original question,its not advised to not have any meal after a workout at all.you have to eat after a workout.

You don't have to. No. It's a matter of preference. Protein does not eliminate/alleviate sore muscles from lifting.
  • orangelobster
    Options
    I have a protein drink right after working out (usually it's a mid morning workout). For two reasons:

1.) I'm starving when I finish at the gym and my protein drinks are super tasty (and pretty much the only sweet thing I ever eat)
    2.) Helps with facing the mighty temptation of hitting a fast food joint on the way back to work....There is a Tim Hortons' right near the gym as well as a bakery.

edit: my protein drink is, 20-25 g of protein in total - about 175 cal. I'm not a super heavy lifter.
  • Rado_SVK
    Options
    @ WendyTerry420 Sorry but are you lifting?..just look up the role of protein in a thletes diet..
  • Rado_SVK
    Options
    # sorry I don't know how to delete this duplicate post :ohwell: