Strength Training Questions from a Newbie!!!

Options
Hello. I am happy at where I am at right now. I just have some pudge, flab, and jiggle in some areas that I know strength training will take care of. But, i'm a little lost on how to go about it. Currently, i would go to the gym and do about 30 minutes of cardio and weights for about 30-45 minutes, 12-15 reps (building more for endurance). I do arms, legs and abs. Lately, it just seems I dont build anything anymore and I know I should change it up. I am confused by all the stuff I find on the internet on how you should scehdule and pick a body part to work on. Some say this is bad as well. Help with my confusion!!! Could you give me an example on how you go about your schedule and how long each day.

P.S. I might as well throw it in here. Any tips on getting yourself to bed earlier and waking up for 5:30 or 6:00 am? I'm a big night owl, but I like to switch my gym time to the mornings before work so I can have planty of time for homework and other chores I need to take care of. I tried Yoga, night-time teas, etc. The big problem is actually getting myself out of bed. I just want to keep sleeping and sleeping and sleeping!!

BIG THANKS!

Replies

• lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What I do right now is 3 days of weights, 3 days of cardio. Slow your reps down, each move try for a 4 count up and a 4 count down. You should try to max out between 10-12. You want to break the muscle down, that way they will build up and burn more fat. Give each muscle group about 48 hours to recover, so generally I do weights every other day. For my cardio days, 1 is HIIT (high intensity interval training) It gets your heart rate sky high, but gives an incredible after burn. Another day is endurance training. So I use much lighter weights than a weight day, and I get a much higher rep count as well. The 3rd day is usually running, bike, swimming, yoga, whatever. Just kind of a fun workout day so I don't burn out.

As for sleep, it's 1252 am for me right now, so I am no help lol
  • CMMia17
    CMMia17 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Much appreciated!! I just find all this stuff online from different sources. I rather be given examples from people who are actually doing this.
  • Cake323
    Options
    I just asked for a new training schedule for similar reasons. I got a new program, 4 days per week, 2 days arms, 2 days legs, plus one day doing a high intensity class. Try focussing on one body section per day, plus some HIIT for cardio at the end. For example, my arms day is a superset of 3 sets of 12 lat pull downs (machine) with 3 sets of 12 pushups, superset of 3 sets of 12 reps of a single arm row (kneeling on a bench, holding a weight in one arm and pulling arm up toward the hip) and a flat bench press, 3x12 bicep curl, 3x12 overhead press, 3x12 assisted tricep dip, 3x15 ab crunches on an exercise ball, then 12 minutes of interval sprints on the bike.
    Then give your arms a rest the next day and do a leg workout. Only just started so I can't report on how well it works, but my trainer reckons you need to let your muscles repair in order for them to grow, and having a rest day will do that. I used to do a bit of everything each time i went to the gym, but she suggested focussing on individual muscle groups would be more beneficial.
    Sorry if this was a bit rambling, I'm not very good a describing the exercises.
    Good luck!!
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    well for starting out, i would start with total body routines then once you get the hang of it, move to specific body parts for certain days. SO to start you could do this:

Monday- Total body weight lifting routine
    tuesday- cardio
    wednesday- total body
    thursday- cardio
    friday-yoga or stretching or pilates or something like that

or you could do like lower body twice a week with weights and up your reps and movements and make it cardio, with 2 weight lifting days with a yoga day in there..

after that,try 6 days a week, about 1 hour a day
  • CMMia17
    Options
    I just asked for a new training schedule for similar reasons. I got a new program, 4 days per week, 2 days arms, 2 days legs, plus one day doing a high intensity class. Try focussing on one body section per day, plus some HIIT for cardio at the end. For example, my arms day is a superset of 3 sets of 12 lat pull downs (machine) with 3 sets of 12 pushups, superset of 3 sets of 12 reps of a single arm row (kneeling on a bench, holding a weight in one arm and pulling arm up toward the hip) and a flat bench press, 3x12 bicep curl, 3x12 overhead press, 3x12 assisted tricep dip, 3x15 ab crunches on an exercise ball, then 12 minutes of interval sprints on the bike.
    Then give your arms a rest the next day and do a leg workout. Only just started so I can't report on how well it works, but my trainer reckons you need to let your muscles repair in order for them to grow, and having a rest day will do that. I used to do a bit of everything each time i went to the gym, but she suggested focussing on individual muscle groups would be more beneficial.
    Sorry if this was a bit rambling, I'm not very good a describing the exercises.
    Good luck!!

Youre not rambling at all. Your'e giving me more ideas! I just want to get into it, but feel so loss in the gym sometimes, lol.
  • CMMia17
    Options
    well for starting out, i would start with total body routines then once you get the hang of it, move to specific body parts for certain days. SO to start you could do this:

Monday- Total body weight lifting routine
    tuesday- cardio
    wednesday- total body
    thursday- cardio
    friday-yoga or stretching or pilates or something like that

or you could do like lower body twice a week with weights and up your reps and movements and make it cardio, with 2 weight lifting days with a yoga day in there..

after that,try 6 days a week, about 1 hour a day

Lol, I remember you, Youre the yoga man. Thanks for the example. I thought about doing one day total body and the other days specific to body parts. I'm kind of doind total body right now, but with the same machines. I'm thinking of asking one of the personal trainers to show me how to work some of the new machines they have in the gym now. As for cardio, I am training for a 5k thats coming up, I'm thinking of keeping the cardio days for 5k training. I have incorporated Yoga a little more with soem basic poses I know. Its very helpful and energizing. More relaxng for bedtime,
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • mohojojo
    Options
    Can you share what exercises you are currently doing for each body part? How is you're eating? Are you taking in enough nutrients whether from food or supplements to feed the muscles?
    I will say that you will need to mix up you're workout? Or...intensify you're current training. Either way, the muscles need to be worked and confused. If you are doing the same thing it gets used to it and it stops your progress.
    Here's an example. If you are going for a set number of reps for each exercise, change it up and go to failure for without counting each rep. Or, if you can do 12-15 reps without much of a struggle, increase the weight just enough to where you are having difficulty getting in those last few reps but still be able to get them all in while still keeping good form.
    As far as the sleep, I don't know you're schedule but you can try splitting up your workouts. Cardio in the morning and weight training at night. The possibilities for growth are endless!
    good luck to you
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop bits jiggling you may be better off with a full body compound routine such as Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting. Get the book of New Rules anyway as the nutrition info and why you should lift is great.

You can mix in some cardio but may find your muscles too tired, don worry, plenty of people lift and do limited cardio although cardio has its benefits.

Get the people at the gym to show you free weights. You will benefit from barbell squats, deadlifts, presses etc.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Re: the exercise routine. You didn't go into details, but your routine seems to be a bit hodge podge. Find a solid beginners program based around compound exercises and stick to it. More importantly, make sure you progressively increase the weight.

Re: the going to bed earlier and getting up. Go to bed earlier and get up. There's no trick to it. You're an adult. Go to bed earlier and get up. Set an alarm. You get up for your job. Start getting up for you.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I asked the "wake up early" question in December and implemented the advice I received and I've been waking up at 5:00am for several weeks now. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819446-how-do-you-wake-up-early-for-exercise

Among the best advice was actually DavPul's who basically told me to stop being a big old baby and get my butt out of bed (yes that actually works) and Yoovie who told me to throw the covers off like they personally offended me.

I'm still new to the strength training ('bout to go do some right now!) to provide you anything there :-D
  • CMMia17
    Options
    Re: the exercise routine. You didn't go into details, but your routine seems to be a bit hodge podge. Find a solid beginners program based around compound exercises and stick to it. More importantly, make sure you progressively increase the weight.

Re: the going to bed earlier and getting up. Go to bed earlier and get up. There's no trick to it. You're an adult. Go to bed earlier and get up. Set an alarm. You get up for your job. Start getting up for you.

Direct but good, Your'e right. I just need to get up. I'm thinking of setting up two alarms, lol.
  • CMMia17
    Options
    I asked the "wake up early" question in December and implemented the advice I received and I've been waking up at 5:00am for several weeks now. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819446-how-do-you-wake-up-early-for-exercise

Among the best advice was actually DavPul's who basically told me to stop being a big old baby and get my butt out of bed (yes that actually works) and Yoovie who told me to throw the covers off like they personally offended me.

I'm still new to the strength training ('bout to go do some right now!) to provide you anything there :-D

Lol, I like the idea of throwing the covers off like they offended you. Thats a good idea and it would be a little rush of energy to help me get up. I'll try that out. Thanks for the link.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Can I please get in a newbie question also? I just started also but was wondering if you can't get in your workout should you eat less calories that day or will this cause you to lose muscle the next time you workout? Sorry if it's a stupid question but lifting is really new to me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I would say that you need to build a program around deadlifts, squats, bench press, over head press, rows, chin-ups/pull ups etc..and then incorpoate these into a total body routine where you are hitting chest, arms, back, legs, shoulders, etc about three days a week, which I think someone already mentioned...then throw in two days cardio ...

so maybe something like..

mon - weights
    tues - cardio
    wens - weights
    thurs - cardio
    friday - weights
    sat/sun - rest....

my routine right now is
    mon - upper body
    tues - lower body
    wens - rest (i do about five minutes on treadmill and 15 minutes abs here)
    thurs - upper
    friday - lower
    sat - HIIT
    sun - rest

Once you start to lose some body fat you could back off the cardio and go the split routine ....

hope this helps...

good luck to you
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Can I please get in a newbie question also? I just started also but was wondering if you can't get in your workout should you eat less calories that day or will this cause you to lose muscle the next time you workout? Sorry if it's a stupid question but lifting is really new to me.

rest days I try to be under my calorie goal...
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Just as far as the sleeping thing, if you have a smartphone I know there is an app where you can print out a QR code and put it somewhere, and the alarm won't shut off until you've scanned it. You can post it up in your bathroom or something so your butt is out of bed before you can turn the alarm off! I think on Android it's called "Early Bird Alarm."

If you don't have one of those, make it uncomfortable for you to stay in bed. Do whatever you've gotta do to make it a habit!
  • AScarbrough19
    AScarbrough19 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    You should change your workout every 8 weeks or so, and to the exact science of this I can't attest to but I know my body responds better to it. Get on a good program like Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting for Women.