No workouts = feeling down :(

Options
I've had to really cut back or modify everything for some time. I have a follow-up tomorrow for an ankle that's been driving me NUTS forever. Couple of weeks ago, I did just a *bit* of time on a rower and felt a little pop on the OTHER side of the same ankle, so I've been scared to use it for even swimming since. (Twinges a bit with kicks.) Feels unstable, and have weird pains just walking or going down stairs. Both ankles feel stiff.

There was a blood test to rule things out (about the other side, the one that's been bothering me for literally years now). I guess something was found, which I'll find out about tomorrow.

Without exercise, the body looks and feels like crap, *I* feel like crap, and super low-energy. Sleep's a problem. This is messing with my sense of well-being and ability to feel good about things in general, big time.

I have been trying to work around it, but as I say this seems to cause more problems. I don't even know what my limits are supposed to be. I still don't know what this is - tendonitis has been suggested, I know I have some OA, had a (possible) stress fracture before (unclear), and even a spine thing's been suggested re tingling - so I know no one can offer specific advice re mods or working within limitations at this point, but how do you keep your spirits up when working out is what did it best?

Replies

• trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    could you try a good cardio workout sat down? :noway:

sounds silyy but it can really get that heart rate up by punching arms in the air as hard as you can and as fast as you can also add in small hand weights doing it too!
    :wink:
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would continue with the swimming but use a 'peanut' - a foam peanut shaped floatation device you hold between your legs and ostensibly immobilizes them.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound silly, I appreciate the suggestion, even if it's not burpees :)

I may try that. I'm not supposed to lift heavy weights over my head (in case it's some referred nerve thing), but I think I could use light ones, or at least punch. Thanks :)
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Thanks, Ben and Billie - I'll give swimming another shot :)
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! Ive been off exercise due to ilness, going to get tests done today so hopefully i'll be back on it soon :/ i just feel sooo sluggish and gross, even with walking everywhere i can. All i want is to get better and back to training!
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    I feel your pain! Ive been off exercise due to ilness, going to get tests done today so hopefully i'll be back on it soon :/ i just feel sooo sluggish and gross, even with walking everywhere i can. All i want is to get better and back to training!

Argh, sorry! Fingers crossed things get worked out sooner rather than later!
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    also try a combo

swimming and GENTLE yoga

again let me say GENTLE yoga

no areobic yoga or bikam or shakti

i reiterate GENTLE yoga

lol

Gentle, you say? :p

I'll look into it! :)
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel your pain because I have the same problem...right ankle injury! After a slew of tests ( MRI, Imaging, X-rays) NOTHING!!! I was a runner and Insanity junkie. It all came to a full stop until I found Kettlebell workouts! They are awesome and give an amazing strength and Cardio workout. Just do a search and you will find a wide variety of YouTube workouts. I also go for long brisk walks....but it does suck not being able to get the runners' high:-(

Wishing you the best.
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would continue with the swimming but use a 'peanut' - a foam peanut shaped floatation device you hold between your legs and ostensibly immobilizes them.
    kind regards,

Ben

This - I am facing two ops on my knees and swim using a pull-buoy (this "peanut" shaped float) because it was hurting like hell to kick and push off the wall. You can use it between your ankles, knees or thighs .
  • jsherrill92
    jsherrill92 Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I second the swimming suggestion. It's an awesome way to get your whole body moving without any impact on the joints.
  • upgetupgetup
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Great suggestions.

The ankle's taken a back seat to funny blood (more investigations coming :grumble: ), but was given exercises for it, pointed to swimming :happy: and elliptical :noway: and some very modified strength stuff (limited ROM, limited load, no way to some things) :ohwell: . So it's up to me to not be a suck, I can actually do things. Yay!

Kettlebell might be possible.

And good luck to those also annoyed by being a little bit busted!