5/2 Diet Stopped losing weight. Any advice please?

Options
Hi, I started the 5/2 diet 6 weeks ago (500 cals 2 days a week) and it was going really well. Lost half a stone in the first 4 weeks but the last 2 weeks nothing. I'm 52 and not very active. Walk my old dog every day but she doesn't move too quickly these days. On the normal eating days I've tried to stick to the 1200 but on a few days I've gone over this. Can't give up my social life completely! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started the 5/2 diet 6 weeks ago (500 cals 2 days a week) and it was going really well. Lost half a stone in the first 4 weeks but the last 2 weeks nothing. I'm 52 and not very active. Walk my old dog every day but she doesn't move too quickly these days. On the normal eating days I've tried to stick to the 1200 but on a few days I've gone over this. Can't give up my social life completely! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On the 5/2 you are supposed to eat the 500 calories for 2 days, but eat normally the other 5, not eat at a calorie restriction.
  • maimeemagic
    maimeemagic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So do you think I'm not eating enough on the 5 days then and perhaps slowing my metabolism too much?
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    So do you think I'm not eating enough on the 5 days then and perhaps slowing my metabolism too much?

yes eat at your TDEE on other days
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options

That is what it sounds like to me.. probably putting your body into starvation mode
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

That is what it sounds like to me.. probably putting your body into starvation mode

Uh oh . . . .

To the OP

Yes, you're under eating. For as active as you are 1200 sounds a bit low.
  • maimeemagic
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. Will enjoy increasing my calorie intake on the 5 days and will also restart my excersice DVD. Haven't been able to do it for a couple of weeks as I had a minor op and stitches in my leg. All better now so can start jumping around again.:laugh:

How do I work out my TDEE?
  • pinkymac11
    Options
    How many times a day do you walk the dog.? Maybe, if the dog is slowing you down, you might want to do a brisk walk on your own once a day, as well. Are you drinking plenty of water to help flush your system? Think high protein on your food intake. Hope the leg is healing well.:flowerforyou:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    How many times a day do you walk the dog.? Maybe, if the dog is slowing you down, you might want to do a brisk walk on your own once a day, as well. Are you drinking plenty of water to help flush your system? Think high protein on your food intake. Hope the leg is healing well.:flowerforyou:

Awesome - whoever heard of a dog slowing you down?!

She's just not following the 5:2 diet as it was designed, that's all.
  • maimeemagic
    Options
    The old girl just has 1 walk a day for either 1 or half an hour. Depends on how she's feeling. Some days she's keener than others.

Good point about the water. Don't think I'm drinking enough. MFP says 8 glassses a day and I'm sure I'm not drinking anywhere near that so must make a conscious effort to increase it.

Just googled TDEE calculator and mine works out at 1661 for the no exercise one and 1900 for the next one up. So I now know what to work to.

Feel motivated to go and put my trainers on a do a bit of my fitness DVD. Might even get my Wii Dance out this afternoon.

Thanks everyone.:wink:
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    The old girl just has 1 walk a day for either 1 or half an hour. Depends on how she's feeling. Some days she's keener than others.

Good point about the water. Don't think I'm drinking enough. MFP says 8 glassses a day and I'm sure I'm not drinking anywhere near that so must make a conscious effort to increase it.

Feel motivated to go and put my trainers on a do a bit of my fitness DVD. Might even get my Wii Dance out this afternoon.:wink:

My dad has been doing the 5:2 diet for the longest time. 500 calories (for women) on "fast" days and AS MUCH AS YOU WANT on the other days. It has been proven (apparently) that you can't overeat (and subsequently put on weight) from this way of eating and that it doesn't make any different what kind of foods you are eating.

I think it's important that the 5:2 diet isn't actually meant to be a weight loss solution - it is all about the long term benefits you can get from it; cutting down your risk of cancer, dementia, heart disease etc and most people, as an added benefit, lose some weight.

There's no secret to losing weight! CI<CO
  • fenna77
    fenna77 Posts: 1
    Options
    : I've doing the 5:2 diet for 2 months now, occasionally thrown in the extra day. I've lost 13lbs and feel great, my non fasting days are pretty healthy as well and my alcohol intake has pretty much vanished. My exercise has increased which includes, mountain & road biking, fell running and walking and according to Endomondo is around anything from 600 to 1800 calories depending on how far and how I'm training. I go to the gym on fasting day for around 45 mins,but for the past 3 weeks haven't lost anything and last week did 3:4 , but after reading the post I think I have been not eating enough and slipping into a bad routine. I'll increase my cal intake on nfd and see if that helps me.