Dating websites...good or bad?

Options
hungrybunni
hungrybunni Posts: 66 Member
After 27 years of marriage I've got to 'get out there' so my friends tell me....at my age I can hardly hang out at the bar!
Can anyone recommend a good dating website?

Replies

• Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    NO! I have only got a buncha weirdos on the one's I've been on before... It always ended up awkward or flatout horrid. But I seem to attract the losers anyhow, so...
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    My brother found his fiancé on a dating website. They're getting married in June after being together for 2 years or so.

I think, that past the losers and weirdos, it can be a great idea. And it does work for some people so why not you?
  • Bdmiller42
    Options
    people are everywhere.Meet folks at park or rec center. I find online dating kinda weird,but I enjoy meeting people in person.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    I recommend avoiding both the bar & online dating. Sure, the quantity may the there, but often times you are lacking goodness of fit in terms of finding a sustainable long term partners. The pain is more acute for men than women, & especially men pursuing a highly coveted female demographic (mid 20s, no children, average looking or better). That last sentence was written to qualify a potential bias I have.

I would recommend meeting people through your day to day activities. If your day to day activities are not putting you in contact with enough singles, change the routine. Some Meetup events could make sense for you, but try to avoid the bar mix n mingle events as much as possible, focusing on events centered around an activity that you like. I'd be asking for friend of friend network setups, as well as setups from co-workers, well wishing acquaintances, etc.
  • dovetail22uk
    dovetail22uk Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Just don't use a free one!

Match.com is supposed to be good. Don't meet up with men too soon - the ones that ask to meet up after 20 minutes of chatting are the ones who are only after one thing.... Unless that's what you want!

I wish you lots of luck!
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've enjoyed it, met some really nice people. If you just ignore the weirdos it's fine. Be proactive too, write positive (and true) things about about yourself, send a few messages and get chatting. I only use a free one.

You get to know more about a person before you meet than if you drunkanly met them in a bar. Always meet somewhere public and let someone know here you are going (standard for any first date in my books anyway).

Another option maybe join a group or club for something your enjoy, you'll make friends who might have friends :)
  • thunderroadx
    Options
    I actually know quite a couple of people who have met on a dating site and are now married and very happy! So, you could always give it a shot. You often have free 'trials' to go check it out before paying.
  • 8Sam12
    8Sam12 Posts: 61
    Options
    I've not had any luck with dating sites but I've used okcupid and it's generally an alright site. I've joined a bookgroup instead and hoping to make new friends through activities instead.

Try meetup.com for your area maybe and see if you fancy anything?
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I met the man of my dreams online and we're still going strong nearly 2 years later! It's a great way to filter out those who you've absolutely no interest in . . . a real time saver! It's great also for meeting guys who you know for definite are 'single and looking' - how many men do you meet by chance that a) you're attracted to b) are single and c) want a relationship?? I never liked those odds!

I went on only 2 other dates before meeting my OH. The key is to be very selective!

My mum met her partner online and they couldn't be more perfect for each other. My aunt met her partner online and, again, they're blissfully happy!!

Trying to meet someone in a bar really limits your options so, be proactive and definitely give online a try.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I say Yay to the dating website.

I've only used a free one, and I'm currently going out with a guy I met on there.. and he's exactly what I'm looking for, but I probably never would have met him had it not been for the dating site.

I also belong to meetup and have gone on a few dates through there with people I've met at events.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I'm an analog guy. I ike meeting people in the normal course of my life.
    If I meet them at a bike rally, I already know we have one thing in common.
    If I meet them at a soccer game, I know we have something in common.

Luckily, I'm married, so sitting at home developing a intriguing Personal Prorile is not needed.

I'm sure a lot of people have great stories about meeting their spouse/partner/significant other on some dot.com site, but, honestly, if you turn you computer off and head outside and enjoy life, you'll meet someone.
  • Jillian1104
    Jillian1104 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also say "Yay" to dating websites, provided that you'll be very careful.

I met my husband via an online dating website, and couldn't be happier. I was in college at the time, so I definitely had opportunities to meet other men, but at a small liberal arts school, where everyone knew everyone, it really wasn't working. Best decision ever made.

Now, that's not to say that there aren't weirdos out there, because there DEFINITELY are. Before I "met" my husband, I was communicating with another guy for a little while. It was apparent when we first began talking that we were not super compatible; we both agreed to this, but kept talking "as friends". Well, I'll spare you the details, but it ended with him telling me that if I didn't attend his work Christmas party with him, he was going to kill me. Luckily, he didn't know where I actually lived, so I had no fear of anything coming of it.

So yeah, weirdos out there. But that doesn't mean that there aren't some good ones.
  • hungrybunni
    Options
    Just don't use a free one!

Match.com is supposed to be good. Don't meet up with men too soon - the ones that ask to meet up after 20 minutes of chatting are the ones who are only after one thing.... Unless that's what you want!

I wish you lots of luck!

NNNNOOOOOO not looking for 'that'. Gads, can you imagine getting naked infront of someone new after 27 years......mmm well maybe if I was a size 12 ha ha no chance then!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    Good.

I used match.com after my divorce and met some interesting people. Some I even still talk to!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    After 27 years of marriage I've got to 'get out there' so my friends tell me....at my age I can hardly hang out at the bar!
    Can anyone recommend a good dating website?

Personally I would find local clubs and events in areas you are interested in and try to become involved in those. You are bound to find a like-minded person to hang with.
  • hungrybunni
    Options
    well thanks everyone for the good advice....maybe I should ditch the pool and hit the gym to look for sexy guys....mmm maybe not ha ha.

Tall, dark and handsome versus short, chubby and funny, I'll get out there and take my chances!!! :laugh:
  • hungrybunni
    Options
    NO! I have only got a buncha weirdos on the one's I've been on before... It always ended up awkward or flatout horrid. But I seem to attract the losers anyhow, so...

but you look so pretty and young and slim in your photo......oh dear, not much hope for me ha ha
  • hungrybunni
    Options
    I met the man of my dreams online and we're still going strong nearly 2 years later! It's a great way to filter out those who you've absolutely no interest in . . . a real time saver! It's great also for meeting guys who you know for definite are 'single and looking' - how many men do you meet by chance that a) you're attracted to b) are single and c) want a relationship?? I never liked those odds!

I went on only 2 other dates before meeting my OH. The key is to be very selective!

My mum met her partner online and they couldn't be more perfect for each other. My aunt met her partner online and, again, they're blissfully happy!!

Trying to meet someone in a bar really limits your options so, be proactive and definitely give online a try.

put that way and the odds make sense!