Walking

Options
I have a question we all know that excercise is very important when trying to lose weight and cardio is needed in order to burn fat. I am new to myfitnesspal and I'mtruely enjoying it actually and have invited some friendswhom are also using the site,but Iwas wondering does anyone knowor think youcan lose weight just by staying with in your calories and walking. I walk at a slow pace for about 30-45 minutes at least 3-4 times a week, I am ready to lose some real weight but Im not quit at the point where I work out really hard and intense yet.
Any and all feedback is welcome

Replies

• ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I lost alot of weight by just walking and staying within my calories .. so yes its do-able ... wishing you much success :bigsmile:
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Yes and your ability to walk faster and greater lengths of time will increase if you will just keep doing it! Exercise is my weak link in this journey, and while I do use the elliptical at least once a week, the other days I exercise it is walking. So put one foot in the front of the other as many chances as you get!
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    My mom lost a TON of weight years ago just by eating well and walking. She has horrible knees (should probably have surgery, but she's too afraid to go through with it) and asthma that can be triggered by coughing too hard. So, yes! You can successfully lose weight just by using as your main exorcise source. :)
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    Yes! MFP puts you at a deficit when you start. So, you are already eating a lot less then what you were before. Sticking to that will help you eat less, in return losing weight. Walking I think is a bonus on top of what you are already doing. But I do suggest after you have become comfortable with what you are doing, try something different. As your body gets used to what you are doing putting at the dreadful platue. :smile:
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Before I started on MFP about a month ago I wasn't really exercising on a regular basis and I was not counting calories. I had just changed how I was eating (serving sizes) and what I was eating and I lost 5 pounds in one month. So yes you can lose weight by counting calories and walking.
  • ladyscorpion81
    ladyscorpion81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advise and support I know that I need to kick it up , but it is good to know that my efforts are not in vain. Keep up the good work guys and thanks for the qucik responses.I feelas though I can actually be successful this time.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other responses. you could always try switching it up after you have gotten a little too comfortable with your walking. this will allow you to push yourself to a new level of fitness and perhaps some new curves. :bigsmile: basically, the more weight you lose, the more you will need to do in order to get your heart rate going. some things you could do to step it up from walking are adding in spurts of skipping, or jogging. other suggestions are high knees, kicks, simple circuit trainging, hops, or cycling.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Walking is beneficial in so many ways. But as stated before, make sure you mix it up a little otherwise your body will adapt and slow down your weight loss. I have been walking for months...some days slow, other days fast, some short walks, others miles long. Take different paths...find some hills...it does work.
    Good luck!
  • KeriD
    KeriD Posts: 324
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes you can!!!!! Good for you that you are getting out for a walk. I believe you need both exercise and proper nutrition. I have tried it both ways and if you are physically fit enough to move your body then by all means do what you are physically capable of doing!!!! My friend and I started at the same time. She walks and tracks her food, I do more physically than she does, like lift weights, cycle and hike yet we have both lost the same amount of weight in the same time. So here's to a great beginning!
  • drucilla8
    drucilla8 Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes you can definitely lose weight with walking. I agree with the other posters that you don't want to get comfortable walking a slow pace everyday. Increasing the amount of time you walk doesn't always help. You'll want to increase the speed that you walk or change your area where there are more up's and down's in your path so you're building up a sweat and making your heart pound faster. Try to push yourself each week to go a little faster, because as you gain strength in your legs you'll need to increase your pace to feel the burn in your legs.
  • ladyscorpion81
    ladyscorpion81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great tips, I think I will try to spice up my walking a bit, and eventuallly through in some more intense workouts.