Stress, Immune System, and Eating Habits

Options
AlannaPie
AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
In the past year I have been having frequent serious infections. I've had two bacterial stomach infections called h pylori (which you're only supposed to get once in your life); two bouts with tonsilitus which lasted several weeks. I was sent to a gastroentorologist because they thought I have a problem with my gall bladder. I was sent to a ENT yesterday because of my throat and he said "your throat looks fine and I wouldn't even be sending out for tests if you hadn't complained." (Well duh, I wouldn't even be here if I didn't have a complaint) When I got home yesterday the area where my neck meets my head became swollen and painful. I had trouble swollowing, it was painful to the touch, and I couldn't move my head. I guess it's all in my head right?

At this point, I just want to know why I keep getting infections. I've read many articles that say you can directly link stress level with a decrease in your immune system and being more prone to infection. I have always surmised that my job is making me sick. All of these infections have happened during the school year, never summer or breaks. Needless to say my stress level is very high and my job weighs very heavily on my mind. Besides these infections I have spontaneously become physically ill while teaching (once from antibiotics, once out of the blue) and had a few panic attacks. I have started taking steps to control my stress, including looking for a new school to teach at.

I want to know what I can change in my lifestyle to help my body fight this. I am clearly unhealthy if it takes such a serious toll on my body. I've read a few things and I really want everyone's opinion.
- Organic is the way to go. I've always veered away because of the price. Can you also get organic meats and breads?
- Certain fruits and vegetables help clear your body of toxins: berries, broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, and beets. Can they be cooked and still have these good properties? Should I juice them? What exactly will destroy the integrity of the produce.
- Green tea. I've started drinking it again and since my throat is hurting I'm sweetening it with agave nectar to avoid refined sugars.
- Less fat, wheat, and milk products should be in your diet.
- Fish oil is a godsend
- Olive oil is the only oil that usually is not "spoiled" because it's in a dark bottle most of the time. I knew oil can spoil, but it never dawned on me that what is in the bottle could go bad without us really detecting it.

I would really love your thoughts on all this!

Replies

• debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have been through a lot! I have seen stress make people sick, but not to this level before.

I would start with some sort of centering for your body--yoga, relaxation techniques, even hypnosis. You are out of balance in multiple ways! Find some time everyday to center yourself if it is even only 15 minutes.

Organic is better--but going mostly unprocessed is good to. Buy things that come directly from the ground, or straight from an animal. Find some local farmer's markets and see what you can get. Usually things are cheaper and fresher.

Best of luck to you. You can make it through anything! You have power inside you, you are strong!
    :flowerforyou:
  • galo53
    galo53 Posts: 4
    Options
    Last year in April, I was diagnosed with a rare, chronic neurological disorder called Myasthenia Gravis. It is caused by stress and weakens the immune system and all of your facial muscles (eye, chewing, swallowing, breathing), and your arm and leg muscles. My husband and I worked for the same company and got laid off on the same day in Feb. of last year. Talk about STRESS.

I started eating healthier and have lost 86 lbs so far (10 more to go). I eat organic mostly and get organic meat and chicken at a store called Earth Fare. You can find organic meats and chicken, but have to ask questions. Some places say its organic, but it really was raised in a factory farm instead of by an individual farmer. I steam all my vegetables and then submerse them in ice water to stop the cooking time. This helps keep the nutrients in. I also eat six small meals a day (because of my illness I can only eat small amounts because of how it travels through my digestive system). My weakness is bread. Love it. I have a local baker in my town who makes wonderful whole grain breads (he grinds the grains himself) and yes it is more expensive, but well worth the cost. I also keep my sodium count low (about 350 - 400 mg per serving). I am limited in my ability to exercise due the weakness in my arms and legs, but I do walk (as long as it's a level area) at least 15 minutes a day.

Here is my advise: Do whatever it takes to get yourself healthy now. I am 56, can no longer work, but have finally figured out how to relax and enjoy my life. When I was 16 I started exercising and eating healthy and continued until my 30's. Then came marriage and kids and lots of stress!!!! Yoga is a wonderful stress reliever, it really clears your head and relaxes your whole body.

Wish you luck.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    WOW....sorry to hear all of this! I won't say that I know how you feel. But unfortunately, I have a pretty good idea. I have been dealing with the same sort of illnesses over the course of the last 7 years. Also adding in a strange lung infection that settles in for a year at a time and is a killer to try to get rid of. No answers from the doctors on any of the issues. Isn't it infuriating!?!

My brother has also had some strange ailments that have not been controlled, even with some very drastic measures being taken. He's had his sinuses surgically cleaned out. Didn't help. He was tested for Lupus and Celiac (both of which I am supposed to be tested also, but I don't have insurance). He tested negative on both. He has severe muscle and nerve pain, with no medical explanation as of yet.

His doctor suggested he try a gluten-free diet. Doctor said that gluten is a key trigger to many auto-immune issues, and that he was pretty confident that it would help. At least it certainly would not hurt. So, my brother gave himself 3 months of a gluten-free diet. OMG! The changes were just short of miraculous! He was still having some joint pain, so he decided to remove all inflammatory foods from his diet. No salt, dairy, tomatoes, peppers...no white starches (regular pasta, potatoes, white rice, white bread). He went from hardly being able to walk some days, to going to the gym 3 days a week. His sinuses are completely clear. It's been 4 or 5 months since he started all of this and has lost nearly 50 lbs.

I decided that it would be stupid of me not to try it for myself! I don't have the discipline he does. So I am only doing the gluten-free and very limited dairy. I use almond milk mostly. Though I do eat cheese and ice cream! It has been about a month and have started to notice some changes. My degestive issues are the most benefited at this point. Also, I am making it about a week or so between migraines...when I was getting them 2 or 3 times a week. My asthma seems to be a bit more under control as well...but it is allergy season so it is kind of difficult to tell! *sneeze*wheeze*sneeze*

I have read several times that it takes about 3 months to completely rid your body of gluten. Assuming you do the diet 100%. I will admit, that I have not. But after only 3 weeks of no gluten, when I caved and ate it, I payed for it! ugh. SO I am doing the best I can now...and will give it a few months to see if it really helps me as much as my brother.

Organic is good. Gluten-free (in addition), I would imagine to be better. There is so much out there to make it easy now too! Trader Joe's is my best friend these days.

I sincerely hope you find something that helps you!!! I honestly don't put much stock in a lot of doctors these days. I think we need to take things upon ourselves to make us truly healthy. Good luck!!!

Be well...
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate your umput. I actually have a friend who was diagnosed maybe with fibomialga, tested negative for lupus and MS but has symptoms. I'm going to tell her about the gluten thing!