Any recipes using Bok Choy??

Options
HealthyChanges2010
HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
I was given tons of wonderful salad greens, radishes, onions and loads more today. Along with that I also received two bunches of Bok Choy. I've never tried it and am not as familiar with it as I'd like to be.

Any simple recipes anyone? Doesn't have to be complicated since I'm just starting out with it. Can I simply stir fry it with EVO and other greens, onions or?

Appreciate any ideas:drinker: :happy:

Thank you!:happy:

Becca:flowerforyou:

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Last year when I got a bunch of baby bok choy in my CSA box I made some stir fry with chicken, bok choy, green onions and cashews in some kind of stir fry sauce I mixed up (probably sesame oil, soy sauce, and a few other things... I am terrible at remembering recipes, but you probably wing it or look up a recipe for stir fry sauce). It was very tasty.
  • GreenieBean
    GreenieBean Posts: 64
    Options
    I make stir fry when I have bok choy. I cut it up into quarters or sixths if they are bigger along with carrots, onions, celery, mushrooms, broccoli, garlic, ginger, red bell pepper (I julienne all my vegetables). You can also add chicken or shrimp or whatever meat you like.

Heat up a pan, cook your protein then set aside (I flavor mine with more garlic and ginger, red pepper flake, sesame oil, salt and pepper). Then throw in all your veg and cook through. Add meat back in. Then I add a broth. I make mine with veg stock or chicken stock, a little bit of corn starch and soy sauce, more giner and garlic.

This recipe is basically whatever you have on hand and what types of flavors you like. I serve mine with brown rice. soooo yummy :)
  • bojkoj19
    bojkoj19 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Bok Choy :)

It's great to chop up into salads because it lasts longer than green or red leaf lettuce. Also I like to steam it with just a bit of ground ginger and lemon zest for a nice side dish. Also It's great in stir fries!!!! Enjoy :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bumpin for more ideas:wink:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Chop it, saute it and put it in your pad thai.

Its great in soups too.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    http://foodgawker.com/?s=bok+choy&cat=0

Also, here's a link of food bloggers who've posted recipes using bok choy.
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    Options
    I recently made bok choy with jumbo shrimp and it came out quite tasty. I just sautee the shrimp with some EVOO, add garlic, onion, salt and cayenne pepper. Then throw in some chopped bok choy and let cook down. I serve with brown rice and I am set.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I love greens including bok choy, barbecued or oven baked in a parcel.

It sounds complicated but it's really not and sooo delicious - get some aluminium foil (tin foil?) and tear off about 60cm. Fold it in half and then roll/fold the far edges in on 3 sides so there is only one side open.

Cut your bok choy lengthways and we always have it with asparagus and broccolini. Put the vegies in the pouch, drizzle with a little olive oil and soy sauce, close the bag and put it on the bbq for about 5-10 mins (or oven bake at a high temp for about 20).

Delicious!
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    Love Bok Choy. I just steam it. Drizzle a little sesame oil on it; add salt.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Last year when I got a bunch of baby bok choy in my CSA box I made some stir fry with chicken, bok choy, green onions and cashews in some kind of stir fry sauce I mixed up (probably sesame oil, soy sauce, and a few other things... I am terrible at remembering recipes, but you probably wing it or look up a recipe for stir fry sauce). It was very tasty.
    CSA box, exactly where I got it from yesterday!:wink: Got some incredible greens:drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    Thanks for all the terrific ideas everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!
  • leychole
    leychole Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Haha... I have never had Bok Choy and while at the farmer's market last Saturday my friend convinced me to get a couple bunches. Earlier tonight I tried a recipe that I found online that was pretty good. I'm not a fan of cooked leafy greens but I added couscous as a side and it tasted pretty good mixed together. It's really simple too.

* 2 heads of baby bok choy, each cut lengthwise into 6 wedges
    * 2 5-to 6-ounce salmon fillets
    * 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
    * 1 green onion, thinly sliced
    * 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
    * 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
    * 3/4 teaspoon cracked coriander seeds
    * 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves

Preheat oven to 425°F. Form bed of bok choy in center of each of two 12-inch square pieces of foil. Top bok choy with fish. Mix orange juice, green onion, hoisin, ginger, and orange peel in small bowl. Spoon mixture over fish, dividing equally. Sprinkle with salt and coriander. Top with cilantro. Fold up foil sides and pinch tightly to seal above fish and at both ends of packets, enclosing contents completely. Place packets on baking sheet. Bake until fish is just opaque in center, 12 to 14 minutes. Transfer packets to plates and serve.

I didn't use the onions or the coriander seeds. I squeezed an orange for the orange juice and just pinched of a couple bunches of cilantro instead of using a 1/4 cup. And I used ground ginger out of my spice cupboard. I squeezed a bit of the orange into the couscous while it was cooking. It was really quick and easy and tasted good too.

If you want to see the original recipe the link is below. Good luck!
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Salmon-with-Hoisin-Orange-and-Bok-Choy-356309#ixzz0p01iUYsy
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    bumping for more ideas please, though loving the ones shared already:flowerforyou: :wink:
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.JoyfulBelly.com you can take whatever ingredient you have and search a recipe base that is all natural - magically up come all the recipes they have for that ingredient. It's pretty awesome - very healthy and extremely yummy.

One that my family and I like is this:

Steam some Sweet Potato and Bok Choy.

While they are steaming, get 3Tbs Sesame Seeds & 3 Tbs Coconut Flakes and stir over high heat in a dry pan till golden brown.

Place the steamed veges together into a bowl and liberally sprinkle the juice of 1/2 lime over them. Then pour the Sesame Mix on top and stir through, being careful not to "mush" the Sweet Potato - add salt & pepper to taste.

Eat on its own or serve with Cumin Rice (Steamed Basmati Rice mixed with 1Tbs Rice Bran Oil and Cumin Seed & salt to taste) and Honey Ginger Carrot (Steamed Carrot with 1tsp honey and 1/8 inch fresh grated ginger, salt & pepper to taste poured over it then drained of the honey blend) or Sesame Garlic Beans (Steamed String Beans with a little fresh garlic in some Rice Bran Oil with salt & pepper to taste).

My family absolutely love, love, love this meal!
  • shaymh
    shaymh Posts: 7
    Options
    I made Bok Choy on the grill the other night. I cleaned it really well and then split in half lengthwise. I drizzled with EVOO, sea salt and pepper and squirted a little lemon juice on it. I put it on the grill cut side down for about 5 minutes and then turned it and cooked unitl it was still crisp, but a little soft, so that my daughter would eat it. It was super easy and delicious!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    oh! some more great ideas, thank you!! :)
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    oh! some more great ideas, thank you!! :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I love bok choy!!! My favorite recipe comes from a great chinese cook book which I've modified slightly to eliminate a lot of the oil for a slightly healthier version:

4 cups bok choy - blanched or steamed

2 TBS oyster sauce
    2 TBS sesame oil
    1 TBS soy sauce
    1-2 cloves minced garlic

heat the last 4 ingredients on medium for about a minute or two, then pour the sauce on top of the bok choy and stir. Serve it on a serving of basmati rice. Total calories = 76 per 1 cup serving.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    Options
    thanks again everyone you've given many ideas :)