CATFISHED!!!! internet dating horror stories

Options
so i just recently started watching that show on mtv..didnt know they had a name for that lol i can honestly say ive been catfished.......

Replies

• SANDRA_F26
    Options
    HAHA SAME HERE BIG TIME . INFACT IM STILL WITH MY FISH LOL :)
    IVE BEEN FOLLOWING THAT SHOW TO. I THINK ITS REALLY INTERSTING BECUASE THE SHOW GOT STARTED WHEN A DOCUMENTARY OF GUY DATING A GIRL WHO WASNT WHO SHE SAID SHE WAS AND IT STARTED THIS BIG FOLLOWING OF PEOPLE GOING THRU THE SAME THING.
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thankfully no horror stories, met my boyfriend of three years online and we are still together now and plan to e for a long time.

I have heard some pretty bad stories though, haha
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I've catfished before
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    i met this guy when i first moved to montana i was on this site called mocospace..(.DONT TELL BEAR SANDRA haha) i talked to him for like 10 months before we actually met up we didnt hit it off sexually cus i of course was catfished but we ended up becoming good friends :)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Do scam attempts count? Had the 419 thing tried on me several times. They never got money, just wasted my time until I figured out what they were. I admit, some of the mangled love letter and poetry attempts were amusing to read, though. Wish I'd saved them, if I'd known there are places you can post them, I would have.
  • gonzo0612
    Options
    oh yea ive heard about those scams!! i was reading in a magazine that those guys would pretend to be over seas and sucker money out of these poor ladies
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    oh yea ive heard about those scams!! i was reading in a magazine that those guys would pretend to be over seas and sucker money out of these poor ladies

Yep, spreading stories about them is the best way to keep people from getting scammed. If people know beforehand what to watch out for they'll be okay. Once they're sucked in, some won't stop sending money.

Also, men have been taken for a ride in these scams and in webcam scams where they are enticed to do something on webcam they won't want anyone to see, then the blackmailer threatens to put it on Youtube and send it to their families and friends.

My favorite latest is the "I've been hired to assassinate you but I'm a good person so I've had a change of heart, send me money and I won't kill you." I would hope no one has been quite so silly as to fall for that one, but maybe.
  • gonzo0612
    Options

Yep, spreading stories about them is the best way to keep people from getting scammed. If people know beforehand what to watch out for they'll be okay. Once they're sucked in, some won't stop sending money.

Also, men have been taken for a ride in these scams and in webcam scams where they are enticed to do something on webcam they won't want anyone to see, then the blackmailer threatens to put it on Youtube and send it to their families and friends.

My favorite latest is the "I've been hired to assassinate you but I'm a good person so I've had a change of heart, send me money and I won't kill you." I would hope no one has been quite so silly as to fall for that one, but maybe.
    woooow there going that far with the whole assanation thing??? thats sad but funny at the same time..ur right i hope no one falls for that one!
  • SANDRA_F26
    Options
    MY LIPS ARE SEALED MANDA. LOL. AINT SO SHAME JUST ONE OF THEM THINGS.
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Never been catfished!
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I have alot of online dating stories sigh HAHA

BUT
    I honestly don't know what the term catfish means, will google it... and also look up this show!
  • SANDRA_F26
    Options
    ITS ON MTV. DEF INTERESTING!