Office etiquette: Coffee

oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Just exactly how empty does a coffee pot need to be before you will brew a new pot?

Because I'm pretty sure people aren't clammoring for the two tablespoons of coffee I was just left with!!!!

Replies

• Ladyiianae
    Ladyiianae Posts: 271 Member
    Not sure what the official "cut off is" but here in MY office they tend to go by those last two tablespoons "Burnt to a crisp at the bottom of the pot" as the first "clue".

I got tired of always making and never getting, I bring my own now LOL!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,644 Member
    I admit I am guilty of this. You can thrash me later...but in my defense, I make the first since I get here before everyone else.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Most of the time it's when someone smells the last two tablespoons burning to the bottom of the pot!

^^^Haaa apparently mines not the only one- we posted that at the same time^^

edited to add: I don't drink coffee so I don't feel responsible for making it.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    I make my own and bring in only a mug full. When that is gone I don't drink any more coffee. And I don't make any either, which people like to say something about. I don't drink it, why should I make it?
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    we have two coffee pots at my work, and they have a metal outside so you can't really see inside, so once it feels too light i'll put another on just to be safe. but i seem to be the only person drinking coffee at work. everyone else is sucking down diet pepsi at 9 am >.>
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    I make the coffee in my office-and I make it when I get in (around 7-7:15am) and then again at 11am. 1 pot regular, 1 decaf each time. We also have K-Cups and an espresso machine so after the pots are made at 11am, I refuse to make more :laugh:
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    I refill it if no more comes out. It is not glass, so it is not easy to tell ho much is left.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    We started ordering Instant Nescafe (Colombian) coffee at work. Just add hot water from the cooler and presto! Some people chipped in and got themselves a Nespresso. One person got herself a tiny drip coffee maker. I wonder sometimes if I should bring my french press to work and keep it in my office.

The reason: no one has enough energy to go clean the darn drop coffee machine every morning and make new coffee. Everyone looks around at everyone else to get up and make coffee. Lazy a$$es!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Got tired of the offic etiquette here. Nobody ever cleaned the Coffeemaker and often left half a cup in the pot. Last year, I bought two new coffemakers. I replaced the communal one and put the other one on my desk. So as not to hurt everyone's feelings, I told them I had switched to Decaf and would be using my own private coffeemaker and bought them a new one to replace theirs.

Worked perfect. I now keep a clean cofeemaker on my desk, use a premium selected blend and theirs looks like hell again.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I can't count the number of times I've made a fresh pot in the teacher lunch room, gone to run an errand for ten minutes, and returned to find an empty pot--with the pot warmer still on! This is why I have a pot in my room and make my own. If I make it, I know it's fresh and not the just-add-a-couple-of-scoops-to-the-old-stuff swill.
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Back in the days when I worked in an office, I was forever putting a pot on to brew and coming back a few minutes later to get a cup to find it empty/almost empty.

At first I was like

tumblr_lvca1nmCEE1r3tnkq.gif

But then, after the 200th time I was like

tumblr_lj56rzR03S1qbi009.gif
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    If there is one cup left for another person, you don't need to make more. If you are running short of time, then don't make another pot!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Sounds like what I do with my housemates at home lol! The dirty b-tards lol
  • Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    We have a K cup machine here, so no worries there. However, I am often the one putting out new K cups from the supply closet or am making sure they get ordered. This is despite the fact that I don't use the machine very often.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Got tired of the offic etiquette here. Nobody ever cleaned the Coffeemaker and often left half a cup in the pot. Last year, I bought two new coffemakers. I replaced the communal one and put the other one on my desk. So as not to hurt everyone's feelings, I told them I had switched to Decaf and would be using my own private coffeemaker and bought them a new one to replace theirs.

Worked perfect. I now keep a clean cofeemaker on my desk, use a premium selected blend and theirs looks like hell again.

Just wait until someone gets pregnant or if someone's doctor tells them they need to cut back on the caffeine! :laugh:
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    I make my own and bring in only a mug full. When that is gone I don't drink any more coffee. And I don't make any either, which people like to say something about. I don't drink it, why should I make it?

They probably see you with a mug of coffee and mistakenly assume you are drinking from the community pot.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Why should people keep refilling it? How do they know more people are going to drink it? It could just sit unused for the rest of the day.

Personally, I feel like like if you want to drink coffee you are lucky if someone else already had it made. That is a perk. Otherwise, just make it yourself. That's the way it is in my office. As a courtesy you can make a whole pot instead of enough just for yourself this way the next person looking for a coffee fix is happy to see some made but again, it gets to the point in the day where most people dont need any more coffee.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    I always bring my own.
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Just exactly how empty does a coffee pot need to be before you will brew a new pot?

Because I'm pretty sure people aren't clammoring for the two tablespoons of coffee I was just left with!!!!

We just had a service tech come out to look out our "brewer" and was told that nobody services those anymore. So to answer your filling question, the answer is easy. Replace the brewer with singles makers. ;)
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    This is annoying!

If there's less than a cup, I'll dump it and start a new pot.
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Most people at my place of employment don't understand the first thing about coffee etiquette. The brewer in our area has three burners, and my boss (the IT director) will make three pots as soon as he gets in (first person here usually). By 9:30, all three pots will be bone dry or close to it, and most of the time, the idiots who take all the coffee won't even bother turning the burner off, much less make a new pot. The part that pi**es me off the most is that to make a new pot, all you have to do is throw a new pack in the basket (filter and coffee all in one), and press a button (brewer is fed by the building's water supply), yet if you call someone out for not making a new pot, they make it sound like you're asking them to go down to South America, pick the beans, roast and grind them and brew it after they had to walk 20 miles to get the water. I spend most of my time in the NOC, so I just bought my own Mr. Coffee machine and put it in there. Only IT can get into the NOC, and only two of us drink coffee. Now, since we don't drink from the office machines, it's fun watching the rest of the non-coffee makers fret and fume because there's never any coffee for them. :bigsmile:
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    I worked in a small office of coffee addicts a few years ago. If you wanted coffee you made a pot and offered everyone else a cup. That way one person gets a nice little displacement activity and everybody gets fresh coffee. We were never short on coffee.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member

NICE!!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Why should people keep refilling it? How do they know more people are going to drink it? It could just sit unused for the rest of the day.

When it's before 10am, and you're in an office of ~40 people, I think it's safe to say a new pot will be consumed. Hell, if you've been at your place of employment for more than a few months, you probably already have a good idea of the coffee drinking habits of many of your cowokers.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    I solved this problem by making my own coffee at home before I head out to work! I mostly only drink coffee in the mornings. Plus, my coffee grounds are WAY BETTER than the "bulk" kind at work!!!!

We do have an issue with the water cooler though, it seems like everyday I go to fill up I have to change it out. People are just lazy and disrespectful!
  • We have a Keurig so we don't go through that!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    We have a Flavia machine, so someone can always make their own individual cup. We also have 3 pots of coffee on the counter, so if there is room in another pot to dump it, we are supposed to start a new one. Usually though, the Office Professionals end up starting most of it I think.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I just drink my coffee at home before leaving for work. That way I don't have to worry about whether the coffee needs to be changed out or refilled. If they run out, it's not my problem. Plus I couldn't tell you the last time the machine was serviced/cleaned. Yuck.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    If you have the room at your desk, or a back desk, get a Keurig. There was a guy who did that in my last office, and the office ended up getting one of the commercial ones for the whole place and put one in every break room. Was the best thing ever.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    This is why I love my keurig! Do you have room for the mini one on your desk? If so I recommend it.