Eating habit change. meat to vegetarian

Options
Please, no rude comments. I'm asking for help and for advice. I'm not saying what you do is bad, or anything, I want help for me.

Hi. Has anyone on here, extremely over weight (i'm close to 270) gone from eating meat to a slow transition to vegetarian eating habits? The only meat I ever eat is chicken because it's easy for me to digest. I have allergies to seafood and fish so that's not an option. After about two months of being sick, a double pneumonia, and just over a case of Ecoli which landed me in the hospital for a week after a week of not eating (thought it was just food poisoning) So I'm a bit more concerned with what goes into my body.

Has anyone here given up meat? I don't mean that as a restriction, or I can't have that type of thing, but have you or do you prefer a vegetarian plan? I just checked out some books on vegetarians but it seems it might be a nice change for me.

Replies

• okremix
    okremix Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did vegetarian for several months during the summer because I like the seasonal foods and I don't digest meat well. I found the biggest help was using emeals online to transition because I didn't know how to increase my variety and the fresh produce I was buying was going bad quickly. The service gives you 2 weekly menu with a low budget shopping list for your favorite store and it is designed to use everything you buy that week in the recipes so there is minimal waste. The recipes were delish and I continue to use them. New ideas plus money saving was good for me!
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian my whole life! Add me. We'll talk!
  • jellybeanmusic
    jellybeanmusic Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been a pescetarian (I eat fish, just not meat or poultry) for 22 years and have a pretty healthy diet. However, I wouldn't say it's any easier to lose weight on. A lot of veggie menu options have tofu or cheese etc which can be as high in fat and cals as meat, especially if you're using lean meat and draining the fat off.

However, as a lifestyle choice, I'm happy with it and don't feel I miss out.
  • speedy001
    speedy001 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Very happy meat eater turned vegetarian then vegan. Had my cholesterol checked when I was vegetarian and realized replacing meat for cheese didn't work for me.
    Feel welcome to add me. I promise that the chickens won't mind if you decide not to eat them and of it doesn't work for you you can always change your eating habits again that is the great thing about life if you don't like something you can always change.
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been a vegetarian for 13 years. There are two types of vegetarians, those who replace meat with carbs, and those who educate themselves on healthy eating without meat. Becoming vegetarian doesn't automatically mean healthy or weight loss. (I got fat as a vegetarian, and it took me years to learn how to cook right.) If you have issues with eating me like allergies and digestion, it may be a good option for you. However I encourage you to learn about what types of nutrients you can't easily get without meat - iron comes to mind.

I turned vegetarian for ethical issues, however I prefer vegetarianism now. Even my boyfriend rarely eats meat as I do all the cooking. Add me and we can talk!
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I went through a faze a few years ago where I didn't eat meat. I just didn't have the money (just out of college & had loads of debt). Then, after about a year and a half, when I began feeling strange (eyes watery, always feeling weak, lazy, etc.) I went to see my doctor. She told me I was anemic and wondered if I gave up meat. I'm not saying this may happen to you, but my doctor told me she herself had become a vegetarian and her iron levels also became dangerously low. She took iron supplements and her anemia went away. She says she still has to supplement her iron every day, but at least its not as much as she had to take it (for 3-4 months she (and me) took about 3-4 days worth in one day). Extreme constipation set in for me and I couldn't take it. So I stopped taking it. Yes, I'm still anemic even though I went back to eating meat. I'm not so sure what to do still about it. My point of this story is just be careful and make sure you're getting enough iron, calcium, vitamins K and C in your diet. The vitamin C helps you absorb the iron, & your body needs vitamin K to use calcium to build bone.
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian for 15 or so years now, feel free to add me or ask questions. I would say it doesn't hurt to try it and see if it works for you. Especially if you're already just eating chicken for meat, the transition shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure to be healthy about it, especially if you're trying to lose weight. It's easy to just eat pasta as a meal! While a lot of people who go vegetarian seem to lose weight initially, if over time you're replacing your meat with carbs and dairy, you can easily gain weight on a veggie diet.
    Even people who eat meat need to make sure they're getting the right nutreints, but it seems even more imporant when you cut something out of your diet. And I find, I'm just more aware and more concerned about what I'm putting in my body now then I used to be.
  • Yecats1990
    Yecats1990 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 2 years (only just started eating meat again) I did it to look better but bad Idea I ended up gaining a stone in weight (14lbs) If I was eating out my options where limited I would end up buying cheese sandwiches or having goats cheese and pastry meals at restaurants. Chips became my friends lol If you are going to do it make sure you can cook a varied diet or vegetables and healthy foods. I would buy veggie meat substitute from my local supermarket. Chicken is actually quite good for you it has protein but is not high in fat. Good luck it is definetly worth giving a go :) Just make sure you remember that some candy may contain Gelatine (animal product, I believe it involves crushed bones) as do some yoghurts and Ice creams and some cheese contains Rennet (From animal stomachs) and you can't have marshmallows or Jelly. Good luck x
  • shanmackie
    shanmackie Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating meat when I was 15 and was just going to eventually move away from it . I had chicken once after deciding to stop, and I just didn't want it anymore at all. Good luck.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone. weight loss wasn't the main issue for me in this post, but it is a plus. I have a hard time digesting meat, and with my Ecoli scare, still not sure from where I got it, meat or veggies, I guess if I were to slowly make the transition, I wouldn't be a by the book vegetarian. i'd still eat chicken here and there. I like eggs. and I'm trying to be a cake decorator so I use eggs, marshmallows and gelation.

Thanks for sharing
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a vegetarian diet on and off for 20 years. I've eaten only vegetarian for the past 4 years. All I can say is that eating less meat isn't difficult. It's a healthy choice but you need to educate yourself. Cheese and dairy are good in moderation but I got fat eating too much cheese. Legumes must be your friend if you're going to succeed. I've never met someone who could sustain a veg diet without sufficient legumes. As for the concern about getting enough iron, most people don't have to worry about it. Legumes and veggies all contain iron. I have had yearly blood tests and never been anemic. You can add me as a friend if you'd like to see all the stuff I eat :-) I am very satisfied with my diet.
  • tiggerdug
    tiggerdug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    hey, im a kind of half vegitarian, im not as keen of meat, i dont like the texture. I will eat chicken sometimes. I love quorn meat substiute. Have you tried that?

Id also like any sujestions on veggie food.

xxx
  • wagonblaster
    wagonblaster Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I was never a happy omnivor. I didn't get enough protein as an omnivor, and am much happier as a vegetarian. I was a vegan for 3 years, and it was great. However, I decided to add a little cheese and sour cream to my diet a couple of times a month. I consider myself a vegetarian, because I don't want to worry about little things when I go out to eat w friends and family, which had been difficult. I don't go out to eat often, so that helps. My blood work has been so amazing in the past 3 years that my doctors always ask me what I am doing. Being vegetarian is a choice. You make the choice that is best for you, but it is possible to be an athlete and a vegetarian, because I have always been athletic. You need to track your fat, sugar, and protein grams on MFP. The fat grams are what get us. Stay as close to the recommended number as possible. I had platoed as a vegetarian. I wasn't building lean body mass, so I had to really watch my fat and sugar grams. I was surprised at how many grams I was eating. Since tracking my fat and sugar grams, I have really cut my belly fat and body fat index, which was too high, and not healthy. Eat healthy fats like nuts, and humus. Find healthy and fun ways to prepare veggies, potatoes, pasta, beans, rice, quinoa, grains, etc. Keep an eye on your protein. Sometimes I just have to have a protein drink to get through the day, so I do supplement. Otherwise, I cook everything myself. I also have to admit to having the occassional cookie and candy...which is definitely NOT vegan. I feel the key is to do the very best you can. Don't beat yourself up. If we cut meat out of our diet even just twice a week, imagine how many animals we would save. When you become a strict veggie, your body does go through a time of adjustment...skin, hair, etc. You may feel uncomfortable for a whie, but it gets better. I promise. If your hair gets thinner, you get cold, or you are tired...then you need to boost your protein. MFP tells you how much protein you need. Just take the time (and it is like a part time job...darn) to REALLY track your food. Hope this helps. You can do it!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The only downside is that it's hard to order at resteraunts. I feel lighter not eating meat, like I don' t have an uncomfortable sinking feeling in my tummy like I would with meaty meals. Just try it for awhile and see if you like it.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I am not a vegetarian, but my boyfriend is (over 25 years veg) AND i'm not much of a meat-eater in general. The first thing you might want to do is make sure you're cooking at home, even if you're cooking meat. Get used to cooking. Then start making "meatless" days....

Increase meatless days one every two weeks or faster if you feel comfortable with it. Eventually, you won't even think about meat except in a way that's not appetizing.

With that said, it's easier to be flexible ... I'm not a vegetarian, as stated, so it's not a big deal if a slice of pepperoni lands on my sandwich, but I'd prefer that it didn't.

There are so many great websites with just AMAZING recipes. For example, recently, we made tacos using lentils & spices as "taco meat" but honestly, I thought it was better than any taco meat.. and full of protein and spice.

It really depends on how much meat is a part of your life. The transition is easy if you're not that into meat in the first place (like me). I eat a primarily vegetarian (and now typically gluten-free) diet... everybody is ALWAYS jealous of my lunches. No joke!

So you just have to decide... you're welcome to look at my diary for ideas if you want. Best of luck.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm making a list of my favorite vegetarian recipe sites for you...

and remember whenever something calls for meat, you can probably use mushrooms, lentils or squash, depending on what kind of meat it calls for.

http://www.summerchilde.com/tag/recipes/ (this is my boyfriend's site ... he likes soup)
    http://plantbasedonabudget.com/
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/type/vegetarian/
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/vegetarian/
    http://www.epicurious.com/tools/browseresults?att=161

and for books, the indispensable Madur Jaffey's World of East Indian Cooking... oh. my. my!

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

and learn how to make hummus. and quinoa. and lentils. omg, and add parsley. hahah! yumyum
  • Alesanarose1
    Alesanarose1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian my entire life, and find that there are more than enough things to eat. If you're eating healthy with the chicken but want to try not eating chicken, just try adding vegetarian proteins to your meals or eat fruit & nuts for snacks -nuts are good for protein. Although getting protein "isn't as easy" when following a vegetarian diet, it's more than feasible. And as many people have said, if the vegetarian diet doesn't work for you, you can always revert back, no harm done. Good luck!
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    My husband is in the military and is gone a lot so i decided to give it a shot for a while when he wasnt home. it lasted pretty much as long as he was gone because he is a meat a ptotatoes kinda guy. i LOVED the way it made me feel, my digestive tract was better, i lost about 10lb in about 13 weeks, I never felt better. i did choose to eat fish tho so i was more of a pescetarian but since you are allergic you might have better results.

i would just watch your carbs.

and try to get some protein through shakes or something.

i am going to try it again soon but since im pregnant i want to give the baby what it needs.

the only real complaint was having to eat so often and how fast my produce went.
  • squirrelzzrule22
    squirrelzzrule22 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I tried going vegetarian and could barely get out of bed after about a month. I suspect my iron plummeted. It was on the lower end of normal when I was eating normally. I started eating meat again and taking an iron supplement and felt better within a couple weeks. My only advice is to watch that iron (especially if you are someone who gets heavy periods. Gross, but true.) Good luck!
  • SexyPrettyMama
    Options
    I became Vegan who eat fish, my profile explains this is the only way to describe my way of eating.
    I gave up meat, animal products and grains. I've lost 20 lbs. my first 2 weeks. It is easy to me because I want results, longevity and the lifestyle change. Good luck, you can do it too!