PB2

Options
Has anyone tried PB2????? I love peanut butter and I want to be able to have it with fruit for a snack but its so high in calories! Looking for a lighter option...

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Eat the real thing - it's beneficial fat.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I use natural peanut butter, which may have about the same calories, but the sodium is a lot lower. I've also found that I don't always need the two Tablespoons that is the serving size. I usually just use one tablespoon on my waffle in the morning, or for apple slices. One way to get the peanut butter to cover more fruit is to stick it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It melts a bit and you can just dip apple slices (or pretzels or whatever you like) in and I like that better than just spreading it on the fruit.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That was seriously unhelpful. Anyone tried PB2????
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Thanks Kcdrake, that was definitely more helpful. I will try that. I still would like to know about PB2 though.
  • jermee
    jermee Posts: 15
    Options
    I ordered PB2 a while back and it just arrived. It tastes like peanut butter without any sugar. Depending on how you use it you may like the results, my wife did not, I like it.
    Add it to protein shakes or use it when making granola or candied nuts for added flavor and not fat.
  • JenS2009
    JenS2009 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I just got another shipment in this week. I LOVE it. It truly is a great sub for the real thing. Smells like it, gets to the same consistency and is tasty. It isnt as good as the realy thing if you just eat it by the spoonful, but it is perfect to mix with things... jelly, ice cream, etc. Good stuff!
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • farrisl
    farrisl Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tired PB2 and love it!
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I use it & like it! It's ground down peanuts at pretty well half the calories. Check out Bell Plantation's website & you can read all about it. Oh yeas & doesn't contain icing sugar which most do.

151232.png
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    That was seriously unhelpful. Anyone tried PB2????

I meant no harm in my comment but I stand by it - why not eat the real thing? Yes it's high in calories, but if you choose the natural version, it's also beneficial.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    True, but PB2 is the real thing minus the sugar and any added oils.
  • Barneystinson
    Options
    True, but PB2 is the real thing minus the sugar and any added oils.

That would mean a separation of the natural oils from the peanut itself through pressing, in which case...it's peanut powder with added sugar or salt (per PB2 nutrition facts) which ends up reconstituted with water instead of oil.

ingredients are: Peanuts, sugar, salt

2 TBS of powder is 54 calories, 2.8 grams fat, .55 g Sat fat, 94 g sodium, 3.7 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 1 g sugar, 4.3 g protein.

Meh, sorry I'm a purist - the oil adds to the consistency and flavor, plus you can find natural PB without sugar or salt added (oil separates at top).
  • annalisa85
    annalisa85 Posts: 41
    Options
    You can also try making your own peanut butter.

1 c roasted peanuts
    1 1/2 t peanut oil (optional)
    1/4 t salt (optional)
    1 1/2 t honey (optional)

Blend until spreadable and store in an air tight container in the fridge. The honey makes a sweeter peanut butter. If the oil separates just mix it back in before serving.

Just processed peanuts 2 T is about 110 cal
    All the ingredients 2 T is about 120 cal

Just another option...:wink:
  • sabrinafaith
    Options
    Hey Barney,

i am a purest too, which is why I don't want a sugar free version. However, I sometimes need a snack that doesn't break my calorie bank but does make me feel full.
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    PB2 is really good - perfect for when you need that peanut butter flavor but not the calories. Sure, you miss out on the benefits of real peanut butter, but when you just want to add PB flavor, it's ideal. I used to mix it in my Medifast puddings and shakes. Even though I'm not on that diet anymore, I still use PB2 when I just want a taste of PB but not the calories.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    my fiance and i both like it, but he prefers "natural" peanut butter. for me, i need to eat MANY times during the day (stupid metabolism!), so, I cannot afford the calories in peanut butter, even if they are the "good" ones.

my favorite thing to do with PB2 is mix it in with low/no fat vanilla yogurt. i'm not kidding, it is like eating dessert. seriously. it is stinkin' delicious!!!!!!! i'm going to try it in a thai peanut-type stir fry this weekend, in place of the peanuts.

enjoy!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I've never heard of PB2.... where do you find it?
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of PB2.... where do you find it?

The company that makes it is called Bell Plantation. You have to go to their website to either order it or see if it is available somewhere near you. I lucked out and there is a store that sells it about 30 minutes from where I live. (I wanted to taste it before ordering a case of 4 jars.) But, that was a while back, maybe they sell it in smaller packs now.
  • spackled1
    spackled1 Posts: 13
    Options
    Personally, I think PB2 is vile.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I want to try it in protein shakes! :)