Office etiquette: Coffee

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Most people at my place of employment don't understand the first thing about coffee etiquette. The brewer in our area has three burners, and my boss (the IT director) will make three pots as soon as he gets in (first person here usually). By 9:30, all three pots will be bone dry or close to it, and most of the time, the idiots who take all the coffee won't even bother turning the burner off, much less make a new pot. The part that pi**es me off the most is that to make a new pot, all you have to do is throw a new pack in the basket (filter and coffee all in one), and press a button (brewer is fed by the building's water supply), yet if you call someone out for not making a new pot, they make it sound like you're asking them to go down to South America, pick the beans, roast and grind them and brew it after they had to walk 20 miles to get the water. I spend most of my time in the NOC, so I just bought my own Mr. Coffee machine and put it in there. Only IT can get into the NOC, and only two of us drink coffee. Now, since we don't drink from the office machines, it's fun watching the rest of the non-coffee makers fret and fume because there's never any coffee for them. :bigsmile:
  • roolmc
    roolmc Posts: 47
    Options
    I worked in a small office of coffee addicts a few years ago. If you wanted coffee you made a pot and offered everyone else a cup. That way one person gets a nice little displacement activity and everybody gets fresh coffee. We were never short on coffee.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Got tired of the offic etiquette here. Nobody ever cleaned the Coffeemaker and often left half a cup in the pot. Last year, I bought two new coffemakers. I replaced the communal one and put the other one on my desk. So as not to hurt everyone's feelings, I told them I had switched to Decaf and would be using my own private coffeemaker and bought them a new one to replace theirs.

Worked perfect. I now keep a clean cofeemaker on my desk, use a premium selected blend and theirs looks like hell again.

NICE!!
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Why should people keep refilling it? How do they know more people are going to drink it? It could just sit unused for the rest of the day.

When it's before 10am, and you're in an office of ~40 people, I think it's safe to say a new pot will be consumed. Hell, if you've been at your place of employment for more than a few months, you probably already have a good idea of the coffee drinking habits of many of your cowokers.
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I solved this problem by making my own coffee at home before I head out to work! I mostly only drink coffee in the mornings. Plus, my coffee grounds are WAY BETTER than the "bulk" kind at work!!!!

We do have an issue with the water cooler though, it seems like everyday I go to fill up I have to change it out. People are just lazy and disrespectful!
  • christypaxson
    Options
    We have a Keurig so we don't go through that!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    We have a Flavia machine, so someone can always make their own individual cup. We also have 3 pots of coffee on the counter, so if there is room in another pot to dump it, we are supposed to start a new one. Usually though, the Office Professionals end up starting most of it I think.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I just drink my coffee at home before leaving for work. That way I don't have to worry about whether the coffee needs to be changed out or refilled. If they run out, it's not my problem. Plus I couldn't tell you the last time the machine was serviced/cleaned. Yuck.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If you have the room at your desk, or a back desk, get a Keurig. There was a guy who did that in my last office, and the office ended up getting one of the commercial ones for the whole place and put one in every break room. Was the best thing ever.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    This is why I love my keurig! Do you have room for the mini one on your desk? If so I recommend it.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    it's Roll Up The Rim season here in Canada, a sure sign of spring, so all coffee pots in offices across the land have been abandoned, as we line up for our chance to win a donut!
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This is annoying!

If there's less than a cup, I'll dump it and start a new pot.

^^This^^ We have a commercial coffee maker at work + an espresso machine (to make Cuban coffee shots). The owner of the company I work for are completely addicted to coffee and drink one cup after another, if there is no coffee... Oh, boy, they start screaming! So, everybody is responsible, everybody knows the exact tablespoon count to make it the way they like it, and everybody will hear it if someone left the coffee pot empty.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I keep a French press, bean grinder, and my own beans at work. I guess I take more prise in my coffe than you do.
  • XLMuffnTop
    XLMuffnTop Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't drink the coffee at work as I don't like the quality however there are signs everywhere spelling out what to do and what not to do. There are fill lines on a pitcher for water, how many scoops per pot plus it spells out you have to make another pot if there is only one cup left before 10 am or something.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Typically we "man up" enough when there is almost nothing left to take a big swig of coffee, kill the pot, and refill it... but no coffee typically leads to riots where I work. People get stabbed.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    get a tassimo... problem solved.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Got tired of the offic etiquette here. Nobody ever cleaned the Coffeemaker and often left half a cup in the pot. Last year, I bought two new coffemakers. I replaced the communal one and put the other one on my desk. So as not to hurt everyone's feelings, I told them I had switched to Decaf and would be using my own private coffeemaker and bought them a new one to replace theirs.

Worked perfect. I now keep a clean cofeemaker on my desk, use a premium selected blend and theirs looks like hell again.

Just wait until someone gets pregnant or if someone's doctor tells them they need to cut back on the caffeine! :laugh:

I've since switched to Decaf. I have no problem sharing.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    “No one has ever become poor by giving.” ― Anne Frank

Not a gender issue...if the pot needs tending...tend it gratefully.... DUH!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own.
    I bring my own as well. But when it's half gone I like to refill it. That way I get about three cups. lol
  • minikeeper
    Options
    I used to get all bent out of shape about this, then finally I realized there are worse things than not having coffee ready made. Now, I just don't worry about it, I either make more, or.....don't have coffee. "Don't sweat the small stuff"