Does vodka, whiskey, rum etc REALLY have no carbs?

Options
I've heard that it is carb free, then I heard it contains sugar, which means carbs. Anyone know for sure before I enjoy a drink or 2 tonite?

Thanks!

Replies

• d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is carb free, then I heard it contains sugar, which means carbs. Anyone know for sure before I enjoy a drink or 2 tonite?

Thanks!

Vodka has about 69 calories per ounce, according to Drinks Mixer. It does not have any carbohydrate content, but alcohol calories are "empty" calories like sugar, because alcohol doesn't have any nutrients.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    Distilled drinks like whiskey, vodka and rum have no carbs.. still have calories and will negatively effect your weight loss... but are enough fun to counter act that!
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yes, no carbs but lots of fat calories, about 100 calories/ounce
  • runs_in_heels
    runs_in_heels Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    From what I understand & have read, yes, many distilled spirits have no carbs.
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/alcbev.htm

And this gal posted the Atkins chart-
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art580.asp
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    yes, no carbs but lots of fat calories, about 100 calories/ounce

It's not fat calories.. It's not lipid based energy. It's just an empty energy source.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    i think its 8 cals per gram for alchohol? carb & protein: 4 cals a gram. fat: 9 cals a gram.

just enter vodka or whatever and see what mfp says.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    But what about the sugar aspect? Are they all lost in the distilling process?
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    My birthday is next weekend and I've been trying to work drinking into it and was wondering this same thing!
    Looks like what I'll be drinking has 65 calories/oz (ciroc peach) but that doesn't include the mixer which will probably be sprite.... and those soda cals will add up quick.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    My birthday is next weekend and I've been trying to work drinking into it and was wondering this same thing!
    Looks like what I'll be drinking has 65 calories/oz (ciroc peach) but that doesn't include the mixer which will probably be sprite.... and those soda cals will add up quick.

That's why I always use diet sodas. Make a huge difference!:drinker:
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Correct.
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Correct.

Thanks so much! Going to enjoy a drink tonite after the kiddos are in bed. :drinker:
  • drbrandtstaff
    drbrandtstaff Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know any science at all?! There are three kinds of calories - protein, fat and carbs. Alcohol does not have FAT calories! Where would that come from? At 4 calories per carb gram, that would mean the rum I was looking at would have 16 grams of carbs per ounce! Myfitnesspal needs to back up their counts. Who is deciding that alcohol has no carbs? It makes me wonder about all your numbers. If it is true then somebody with real science understanding explain it. d2footballJRC is repeating what he has heard - from whom?
    I hope jojohnson090 had a good birthday all the way back then. How many drinks did you need to feel celebratory?
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Does anybody know any science at all?! There are three kinds of calories - protein, fat and carbs. Alcohol does not have FAT calories! Where would that come from? At 4 calories per carb gram, that would mean the rum I was looking at would have 16 grams of carbs per ounce! Myfitnesspal needs to back up their counts. Who is deciding that alcohol has no carbs? It makes me wonder about all your numbers. If it is true then somebody with real science understanding explain it. d2footballJRC is repeating what he has heard - from whom?
    I hope jojohnson090 had a good birthday all the way back then. How many drinks did you need to feel celebratory?

There are four macro nutrients -- but almost everyone focuses on the main three: carbohydrate, fat, and protein. The fourth is alcohol.

But your outrageous outrage at (correct) information from a thread that's been dead for 4 years is entertaining on a Sunday in any event!

I give you, Sir, the highest of high fives
This discussion has been closed.