Morning Workouts!?

Options
I have a hard time waking up in the morning to work out! I have no problem working out after a long day at work, but the days i don't work out in the evening, i could have had a morning workout in! Does anyone have any suggestions, how to wake up in the morning...and not hit the snooze?

Replies

• fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    I need to know too. I have to get up around 8 to get my kid of for school...and if I can get my husband to take care of the tot for a while..I will go walk the trail. I'd like to get up earlier and get it all done before anyone even gets up but I just can't drag myself out of bed!

I've been working out after lunch when the tot lays down for a nap and the hubs is gone. I just renewed my gym membership in the hopes that I can find other opportunities.
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's hard...but just like lots of other things, if you can make yourself do it that first few times, it gets easier. I'm up at 5:30 in the morning to exercise before the rest of the day starts--I hate getting up, but for the rest of the day, I LOVE not having to think about when I am going to exercise...it's already DONE!

As far as the snooze button goes, set you alarm really loud, and then put it across the room. You'll have to get out of bed to turn it off, and that's half the battle. I also slept in my exercise clothes for a while when I started, so that all I had to do was throw on my sneakers and GO.

Good luck!
  • SpencerR
    SpencerR Posts: 37
    Options
    Its best to work out in the afternoon when the body is fully awake and producing the most of the chemicals it needs during exercise. However not everyone can do it in the afternoon like my self since I work 3-11pm. I go around lunch time but as far as a morning work out they are the hardest due to the body still being tired. You get your most benefit from an afternoon work out
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I get up at 5:30 as it is, and at the end of the day it's soooo tempting to blow it off. I'd love to be an a.m. workout person but ... OY! :wink: Good luck, friend!
  • chgraham
    chgraham Posts: 122
    Options
    I get a lot of "You get up at what time to exercise???" I have my alarm set for 3:30am. I get up immediately, this took some time, but I am used to it now after a couple of weeks. Exercise, shower, eat a quick breaky, get my lunch in my lunch bag and out the door by 5:30am.....(I also sit with the cat on my lap for a few minutes while having my breaky and coffee). This was not easy at first, but over the weeks has become easier and I look forward to my early mornings.

Luckily for me, I am and have always been a morning person, so getting up to exercise that early is not a problem. Trying to exercise in the evening is more of a challenge as hubby is home and we live in a Modular home with no basement. It is nice when I am the only one up.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I recently made that transition about 30 days ago. I suggest making the effort to get up and getting going, your workout does not have to be a real fat burner go at the pace you feel (it is the morning you hate this but you're gonna do it even if you give it 10%). The point is to make the effort in getting up and going... after a few days of that you will be at 20%, then 27% and then before you know it you are up early, and giving your workout 110%. BABY STEPS!!:bigsmile:

Hope this helps!
  • edelq
    edelq Posts: 111
    Options
    I'm the same, I set the alarm for 6, maybe give myself 5 minutes and then straight up! Otherwise I've woken myself an hour early for nothing...
    At the minute, I'm just doing 30 Day Shred first thing, I find that easy enough as I just do it in my room, dvd is set up and weights are by the telly,, it's quick but it's tough!
    I used to go for a run but found it tough to get a decent run as I was too hungry / weak, but I can manage exercise DVD / EA Active or exercise bike for about 20-30 minutes first thing,, then I just get washed and dressed quickly, am out the door within an hour of getting up,, and I'm wide awake and ready to go (and starving!!)

Then I try to fit in a walk / run in the evening time if I can,, but that's a bonus really, once I get the mornign workout in I'm happy!
  • LawBug17
    LawBug17 Posts: 26
    Options
    i hear you! i leave my house at 6:45 am to go to work and don't get home until around 8:00 pm. i alternate going mornings and at night. i feel like when i go too much in the morning (aka get up at 4:45 so I can be at the gym 5:30-6:15 am), i start to drag by the end of the week, but when i work out until 10:00 pm, i have no energy either. when i go in the morning, i pack my gym bag at night and make lunch the night before, so i can just wake up and go! sometimes you just need to get out of bed in the morning. i try to jump out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, and once i am walking around, i never want to go back to bed. it sucks going at such awful hours, but if i want to get my work out in, it's what i have to do, so i'm kind of resolved with it. good luck :P
  • bzutter
    bzutter Posts: 1
    Options
    The only thing I can suggest is to ensure you get to bed early enough to get a full 8 hours of sleep. It will make it easier to wake up in the morning to workout. Good Luck
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I also do the 30 Day Shred. I find its quick and by the time I get ready I have a lot more energy. Its the shortest of all of my workouts and one of the hardest so I get it done first so I wont be lazy when I come home.

Next is ChaLean which will have to be done at night.
  • lovetodance
    lovetodance Posts: 33
    Options
    This may sound rather odd, but I have exercise clothes, tennis shoes, and socks laid out so that I won't have to waste any time finding what to wear. I get up at 5:10, get dressed, have my coffee and by 5:30 my program comes on FIT TV. Sometimes I have time to play a few games of "words with friends." I just feel better if I exercise in the morning. Then if I feel like exercising in the afternoon, fine and if not, I know that I have at least 30-60 minutes of exercise done. :smile:
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    I am the snooze button queen. I actually place my alarm so that I have to physically get up to shut it off. This does help. (sometimes!) The other reality is that as tough as it is to get up in the morning, the most energized and good choice days for me are the ones where I get the workout over with in the early part of the day. It takes 21 days to form a habit so for about 20 days you'll drag your butt than all of a sudden you'll love your time to yourself in the morning. Atleast that is what I am hoping as after reading these comments i think I will start getting up in the mornings too! Best of luck to all of us!

PS What isd Cha lean?
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    As of now I go working out when the kids are off to school.....but I get up at 6am to drop the bigger kids at the bus stop and then come back and finish helping my husband with our son....and when they leave I go working out......But I put out my clothes the night before, so at 6am when I get up I just put my workout clothes on....so when I get back I am fully dressed and leave as my husband leaves....

But when summer starts and the kids are home I plan to start walking at 6am when the kids are sleeping....so I can get back before my husband goes off to work....because I dont really like walking in the sun or comfortable leaving the kids home alone....

I hate evening workouts...I find I dont have as much energy to workout as I do in the morning

I agree with what someone else said.....put your alarm way across the room....its less likely you will crawl back in bed after that.....I am sure some days you will....but for the most part I think you will just go do the workout

What works for one wont work for another.....so you just have to force yourself to get up and go for it.......
  • rebasporty
    rebasporty Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I find that I NEED to get up in the morning and workout or I seem to find excuses and then I get no workout in. Besides I love to ride my horse after work and that is considered exercise so it is a win-win situation for me.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep earlier.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love morning workouts! During the week I get up at 4 am so I can be at the gym by 5:20, work out until 6:30, shower & then off to work by 7:30. I also exercise one weekend day, so those days I get up when I feel like it but am usually at the gym within a couple of hours & done working out by 11.

After work I am too tired/hungry/busy/unmotivated to work out, so doing it in the morning just sets me up for success.

I do have to go to bed early - I usually hit the sack around 8 pm - but if I was up at home until 10 I would get bored and just sit watching TV & munching.