Low Carbers- How many calories are you eating?

Options
I'm on week two of low carb and I am trying to eat as little carbs as possible but I am getting a few in my almonds and such but my problem is my calorie intake is low... and I'm definitely not starving myself! I feel great and I'm eating when I feel hungry and I've lost a bit of weight but the food diary keeps telling me my calorie intake is too low. Yesterday my totals were:

Totals 1,076 23 68 101
Your Daily Goal 1,890 260 63 71
Remaining 814 237 -5 -30
Calories Carbs Fat Protein

Should I eat more even if I am not hungry or just go with it?

Replies

• maalbrech
    Options
    If you do choose to eat more, you only need about 124 calories. You should make sure to take a good multivitamin, if you are not already doing so.
  • MisanthropeKitty
    Options
    Yes, that is one thing I need to go pick up! I have a generic store multi but I would rather get a natural one derived from plants rather than man-made components.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Go with it. If you are eating well and feeling full that is a good thing! I am attempting to go low carb (again), and I know what you mean. I was eating alot more and feeling really good, not sluggish at all, and losing weight.

The food diary is a guide, so I would not worry too much about it just now.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    I eat between 1200-1400 calories a day.
  • maalbrech
    Options
    The most common suggestion is to keep your calorie intake around 1200 so that you do not lose vitamins and minerals. If you are taking a good multivitamin than 1000 would be ok from what my doctor has said, and from what I have read.
  • siblita
    siblita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I eat about 1600-1800 per day. As I lose weight I see that going down though.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    1800-2000 per day, and I may still increase that. See the IPOARM (In Place of a Roadmap) thread here on MFP which explains why one should eat above their basal metabolic rate (BMR) and how to calculate the appropriate caloric goal for you.

I've found MFP's calculator and the calculator on another popular weight loss site to woefully underestimate the calories I need to eat each day. Their recommendations are consistently 200-400 calories under my BMR. Not appropriate at all, as I'd like to improve my metabolism and hormonal balances, not cause any further upset to those processes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/895504-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    1800-2000 per day, and I may still increase that. See the IPOARM (In Place of a Roadmap) thread here on MFP which explains why one should eat above their basal metabolic rate (BMR) and how to calculate the appropriate caloric goal for you.

I've found MFP's calculator and the calculator on another popular weight loss site to woefully underestimate the calories I need to eat each day. Their recommendations are consistently 200-400 calories under my BMR. Not appropriate at all, as I'd like to improve my metabolism and hormonal balances, not cause any further upset to those processes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/895504-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

^^ This. Check out the roadmap. I cycle my carbs - low on rest days, high on work out days. So I eat 1700-2400 calories depending on the day. Always above BMR. This works!
  • mdjcpa75
    Options
    Keep doing what you are doing. As long as you feel great, what someone else is doing doesn't really matter. I am also eating low carb and have lost almost 50 pounds in the last year. I won't eat low carb forever, just until I hit my goal weight. I try to eat 50 carbs a day, which normally keeps me at less than 1,000 calories. I consistently lose weight and feel great. If I eat more calories, it leads to more carbs and I don't lose any weight. The bottom line is that everyone is different and our lifestyles lead to our bodies needing different intake amounts. It sounds like you are on the right track. Keep it up!
  • shanander
    shanander Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I aim to get 1200 since I am breastfeeding and if I dip below that, my milk supply suffers. Plus they say under 1200 calories means your body is in starvation mode and your body can suffer in other ways (slow your metabolism, lose muscle instead of fat, etc)

It was hard at first since I ate so many veggies and those are so low calorie, but I added in snacks of almonds, cottage cheese, peanut butter and now that I've been doing it for 6 months, I'm pretty good at staying around 1300-1400. Of course, if you are counting net calories, that's another story.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issue :( I am low carb because I'm watching my Glucose. I have been eating the best I ever have yet I can never hit my 1200 calorie goal and that makes me unhappy. I upped my goal to 1300 because I have been getting a ton of dizzy spells. I am going to incorporate an extra light meal or heavier snack, so that I am spacing out my carbs instead of having a big carb in one sitting just to hit the goal. I don't want to net under 1200 and get sick and all that. i just want to be healthy and control my glucose so I don't get diabetes.