Runners...shoe advice

Options
6'3"
222lbs
43 yr old male

Doing some dirt/snow/ice hill running, street, cycling daily as well as lifting a few times a week.

One thing I have to deal with in Rheumatoid Arthritous in my knee joints. I know as I keep dropping weight my knees will improve. I have pretty big feet(size14) and usually don't have the option to pick what shoes I want because lack of selection. Is there a type of shoe that would handle both terrains? Or am I better off seeking out multiple shoes?

TIA

Replies

• theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been running for only 1 1/2-2 years so I'm still pretty new, but in my experience it is best to have two different types of shoes. I would have a pair of trail shoes (stiffer, thicker soles with considerably more tread) for the dirt/snow/ice running. They will give you traction and protection from sticks/protruding objects. For the hill/street/cycling/lifting you can use regular running shoes. They have a softer sole that is easier to run in on asphalt. Running roads in trail shoes could cause further joint issues because of the stiffness. For cycling I don't usually have a preference for shoes, but then again I'm not a hardcore cycler. For lifting, I've heard that flat shoes, such as converse, or doing it barefoot is better because the slight lift in the heel of running shoes alters the way your muscles work in your legs. Again, unless your a bodybuilder or super into lifting, it depends on how you feel about it.

ALSO, you should go to a local running store (preferably a small business one, NOT a chain like ****'s Sporting Goods) and they can assess your gait to see which type of shoe would fit best with your body and minimize your knee pain. If you dont want to visit a shoe store just yet, there are some websites that help you assess your shoe needs. http://www.mizunousa.com/running/innovation/precision-fit <Mizuno's precision fit is a pretty good one :)

The sizing issue I can't help with... I have average sized girl feet of 7-8, brand depending. Perhaps checking websites? Plus, most specialty running stores can order sizes from the manufacturer if they don't have that size right away.

Again, this is all from my experience, and what works for you might be a little different. Hope I helped!