How did YOU determine your ideal weight?

Options

Replies

• Junisahn
    Junisahn Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I chose mine based on past weights that I've been that I:

a) Feel confident and healthy at
    b) Can maintain with minimal effort.

Sure, I'd love to be 10 lbs thinner than my goal weight, but I find that to be an impossible weight to maintain without feeling very restricted. So, it's obviously not a good goal for my body!

Best of luck figuring out where you want to end up!
  • mattnday
    mattnday Posts: 9
    Options
    Funny you ask

I wear a size 52-54 suit jacket even at my new weight.

I can lose all the weight I want but my shoulder width and bulk is never going to change.

My BMI chart says I need to be 197 to be on the absolute top end of healthy for my weight. That is insane. I am 209 now and sub 20% body fat. I would have to get to 15% body fat to reach 24.9 on the BMI chart.

With that in mind I chose to use body fat as my parameter. For a rough estimate I use my scale and for a more detailed estimate I was measured at the gym(by a trainer). Both my doctor and trainer said 210 was a good weight for me with 200-205 being the absolute bottom assuming I continued to strength train. I am shooting for 205 with a fitness level body fat which is 18%.
  • NNE16
    NNE16 Posts: 21
    Options
    I had no idea where to set it so I did not set it. I decided that I am able to keep positive focusing on weight lost per week and it will be clear when I am happy with my weight. I have an image, idea as a goal and not a weight, if you have motivation you get reminded constantly that every day, each thing you eat, each thing you do not eat, each exercise you do, you get more near to it. An advantage is that you never have to think your goal is so far, you focus on 'stepping' instead of the entire distance, your speed (weight-loss per week) realising that if you keep the pace you will get there

I am not saying here that not having a goal weight is the best idea for everyone, it works wonders for some. But this works for me
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I only chose a number so I could have a ticker. I don't know what I want to weigh because I have never used a scale in my adult life. I'm just going to keep on losing until I look in the mirror and think- hey I think I look awesome! My goal is comfortable/un-self-conscious bikini wearing. I imagine I have 30-ish more to go and I'll be thrilled.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I set mine to my healthiest weight (ok, I was in high school and doing 4 competitive sports and a martial art, but hey). It's probably unrealistic 14 years later, but I'd rather aim high!
  • tal202
    tal202 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I based mine on my BMI but opted to go for about half way on the scale. I'm currently at the higher end so I figured somewhere in between would be the healthiest option. And realistically, I just don't have the energy or inclination to get below 130. I enjoy food too much. I just need to establish a better relationship with it and get myself fitter.

Also, I have never been able to fit into anything smaller than a UK 10, even when I was at my skiniest at school, and am currently a UK 13 so I figured I would quite like to get down between those two. I know clothing sizes can be a pain but I have kept a skirt that I would love to fit back into and I'm using that as my measure.
  • Rea_K
    Rea_K Posts: 51
    Options
    I first aimed for a weight that I thought I was slim and toned at when I was that weight around 5 years ago, which was 133 lbs, but when that weight was approaching I realised I needed to lose a bit more. So I reset it to 119, which again I revised when I was approaching that weight. Now I've decided on around 107-112 lbs. I do not want to lose anymore than this as I still want to have my curves. I am quite short and even though I am around 120 lbs right now I still don't look slim yet! I have weight to lose around my arms, stomach, and quite a lot to lose around my thighs. I've decided to settle with my current goal, and if I still have weight to lose when I reach it then I will just try and tone as much as possible, and learn to love my body. Even though my weight is in the healthy bmi range now I have a very small frame and so any extra lbs I carry are very noticeable. Which is why I need to be in the lower range of the healthy bmi for my height.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I wanted to be the same weight and waist line as I was when I was 16.

Achieved it this month :wink:
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I just thought of the time in my life when I was the happiest with my weight...

I know when I thought I looked like a movie-star (well...in my head :laugh: ) I weighed 60kg - so this is technically my goal weight.

Having said that, in the back of my mind, I know when I was comfortable in my body but not obsessive - watched what I ate, but still had treats, did exercise but not to a point where it took up all my time I weighed 64kg - so I would still be happy if I only ever got back to this weight. If I could maintain this, that would be super! :smile:

BMI means nothing to me. At 70kg and 174cm (at present) I am still at a healthy BMI but don't feel that way!
  • dinos
    dinos Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I’ve been trying to calculate my ideal weight for some time now. BMI is not a dependable measure at all, while Body Fat is. Remember that weight consists of both lean body mass and body fat. Knowing your body fat percentage can help you determine if your weight loss goals are realistic. You can check yours at http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/.
    The American Council on Exercise considers a 25 - 31% body fat acceptable for women, 18 – 25% for men.

I checked mine and at 252 lbs its a bit below 24% (acceptable), my goal is to get to 17% (fitness) which in my case translates to 235 lbs target weight.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    the BMI calculator has my ideal weight below 147lbs, and before checking my BMI I said I wanted to get back down to 140-147, it's a weight I was happy with 6 years ago.

My weight has fluctuated for about 10 years due to many factors... at 130lbs I felt I was too skinny, at 198lbs I was seriously unhappy and at 140lbs I was confident, happy and energetic. THAT'S what I want to get back to :smile:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat, BMI charts are completely useless for me. So I just go by appearance & feel. When I can see my abs & don't have much to pinch around the middle that's when I know I'm good. Even though according to the BMI I'm still at the upper end of over weight.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weigh128...I was shooting for 125 but can't get there. My doctor told me that my body will decide where it needs to be and that my weight loss will level off...boy was he right! I have been maintaining since September and can't get the scale to move. I weigh more than I did in high school (muscles) but wear a smaller size. I feel great and am loving this lifestyle.
    BTW-I lost 55lbs from Feb '09 to Sept, '09 all by eating right and exercising (6 days/week)...no pills, no programs...the old fashioned way.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Since I've never been happy at what I weighed in the past, I'm not shooting for what I weighed in high school or something. At the moment, BMI is my rough estimate that is telling me that 140 is the transition from overweight to healthy. I'd like to get there, but that's not a concrete goal. I just know I'd really like to get to 150, see how I look and feel and then possibly set a goal past that. It could be 140, it could be higher or lower. I really just want a weight that looks good on me, I'm comfortable in, and that I can maintain without having to spend hours in the gym every day and keep eating 1200 calories. I'm taking it 10 pounds at a time at this point. So far, I'm down to what I weighed in Senior year of high school, I'll take that :) Next goal, i want to look good enough to wear a bikini. Maybe by the end of the summer.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weigh128...I was shooting for 125 but can't get there. My doctor told me that my body will decide where it needs to be and that my weight loss will level off...boy was he right! I have been maintaining since September and can't get the scale to move. I weigh more than I did in high school (muscles) but wear a smaller size. I feel great and am loving this lifestyle.

Ditto to that! We sound almost identical. I'm 5'3.5 and I think 115-120 would be awesome. I've been hovering around 125-126 for several weeks now and my body seems to want to stay here. I feel great and I can wear a bikini comfortably. I'm not quite as "cut" as I would like to be, but this is also a good place to maintain.
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Interesting question! I'm anxious to see what people say. I know the old "trick" was 100 + 5 lbs for every inch over 5'........which would mean I should weigh 135. YEAH RIGHT.

I have a goal right now of 160......but honestly, I kind of pulled that number out of you-know-where :laugh:

I started out shooting for a healthy part of the BMI chart then someone sent a link for a body fat calculation [http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator] and thought I would check this out, feeling pretty confident only to find out the body fat % had me at obese... 'sigh' so I'm back on the losing issue. So this calculation figures close to the body fat % for me that they want me to be at... 123 to have me healthy as far as body fat... and using the 100 + 5 would put my goal at 125... very close... Anyway... I think goal weightt is personal and between you and your doctor. I weighed 122# before getting pregnant with my daughter.... (she's 23) so it seems impossible but I'm awfully close - still questioning if it is right (Body image - you know...).
  • BbNuke
    BbNuke Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I also picked a weight from the past where I was happy with myself. I have never exercised before (as an adult) and I'm really starting to like it! I have a lot of toning to do, so think I might try to go 20 lower than what my goal is now.

However, I don't want to go too low, as I am 60 yrs old and don't want a lot of loose skin as a result of losing too much body fat. I'll play it by ear after I get to my current goal.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 34 5'8 170lbs, BMI says I should be around 160 for my height....I was there once, and it was a bit ridiculous for me....it was wintertime, and believe me, I was cold all the time. I picked my weight based on how I felt, what looked best, and what is most maintainable for me. Also, I'm 5-10 lbs lighter than when I graduated high school....placed a 3 lb limit both over and under where I am now....and it's working pretty good so far. All the body fat estimators have me at 13-15% body fat, which is good for me.
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My ideal weight is 5lbs over where the BMI says I'd be in a healthy range. I chose this by looking back, in high school I was always a bit over weight, and the least I can remember being is 170lbs. Figure 20lbs less than that would be good for me now. Alot of people seem to think going less than that I'd be pretty sickly with my build, so I felt thats a good number. The number is only that though, a number, my real goal is feel healthy, and be able to shop in regular size stores, when ever I reach that I'm good.
  • princessxena
    Options
    I agree I am supposed to get to 138 pounds!!?? I am 51, can't see me that thin. Also could I maintain it?
    On related topic how did you add all the info ?
    Thanks
    PrincessXena