Anyone else find treadmills hard?

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with others here..... stand on the machine while it's stopped....then press start.... not jump on while it's moving. No wonder you are getting hurt.

But my trainer explicitly said "Let it warm up first before starting to run, otherwise you could cause an injury"

You trainer means "YOU should warm up first before starting to run, otherwise you could cause an injury" - why would a cold treadmill, cause you to be injured LMAO.

Change your trainer if they do mean the treadmill and not you.
  • __Di__
    Options
    has to be at a 10% incline when you jump on that way you won't fall off.
    Try it at a faster speed ( I like it above a 10.0 before I step on), and at least a 5% incline.

Brilliant advise, I never thought about trying it on an incline, I'll give it a go this weekend. If I still can't get the hang of it I guess I'll try attempting running on the pavement. Although I'm sure they're more perils on the tar mac than on a treadmill.

and now, just reading your reply to this, I go with some of the others, you are a troll.
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have to agree with others here..... stand on the machine while it's stopped....then press start.... not jump on while it's moving. No wonder you are getting hurt.

But my trainer explicitly said "Let it warm up first before starting to run, otherwise you could cause an injury"

Yes. Warm up WITH YOU ON IT. After the first time flying off the thing, you should have learned to not do that again. My suggestion would be to watch someone else get on first. I could bet my paycheck they do not just jump on a moving treadmill...
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    1. Stand on sides of the belt.
    2. Turn on the treadmill, low speed.
    3. Get on the belt and start warming up, adjust speed appropriately.
    4. Run when ready.

:)
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
  • sandersj57
    sandersj57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I believe the trainer meant that you as a person should warm up by walking first before running. I don't think the trainer meant for the treadmill to warm up first before running. Good luck!
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ..are you hitting the gym AFTER the bar? :P
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    This made me laugh hysterically!

I am SO anti-treadmill! I have a strange gait apparently-i either stutter step and hit the front, or i fall off the back. every time.

i would give advice, but i have tried for YEARS and cant figure it out.

only thing i can say-find a track somewhere ;)
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    there's some new research coming out on non-motorized treadmills, most notably the "curve" by woodway. don't know if that's an option for you, but if it is, try it out
  • RMeDude
    Options
    With every reply to the OP, I feel so much better about myself!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I HATE running inside! I will hit the road every chance I get, so unless it is absolutely pouring out, I refuse to be a damn "mouse on the wheel".
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    This has to be a wind up. Only an idiot would attempt to jump onto a moving treadmill - whoever you are, get a life

I get on and off a moving treadmill all the time for my sprint training. so thanks.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I can't believe so many are giving this TROLL their attention. Wake up friends..!
  • RhysGM
    RhysGM Posts: 39
    Options
    why would a cold treadmill, cause you to be injured

I assumed, like old diesels, they need to warm up first, otherwise the engine could seize up and cause you to fly forward.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I can't believe so many are giving this TROLL their attention. Wake up friends..!
    On my 'wall' I commented that I presumed it was a troll.

But, trolls that post questions like this prove no more than they can act to this level - the troll is on them ;).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this has got to be a joke, right???
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Slow down!!! You are going too fast. You can start as low as one and very, very gradually raise the level to a point where you are comfortable [can talk and feel coordinated] and get going. Good luck.
  • MrsRogers2010
    Options
    Honestly, I have NEVER had any luck with a treadmill. I can't seem to get coordinated. I start off really slow (and usually stay really slow) and I think, "OK, I got this" then the next thing I know my body is completely unaligned. My arms are extended out and my feet are behind me! I look like a dang fool! I have completely given up on the treadmill. I'm glad someone else has had this problem too, I thought I was the ONLY person in the world that couldn't "master it". I would not every try to get on one though while it was already running. The only way I am successful at this stupid machine is to just not turn it on at all and do the work manually!
  • __Di__
    Options
    why would a cold treadmill, cause you to be injured

I assumed, like old diesels, they need to warm up first, otherwise the engine could seize up and cause you to fly forward.

lol I have a treadmill, this is not the case.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    IIRC, OP is the one that started the "which is better, lbs or kgs, for lifting" thread.

loltrolls

uhhhh
    is the answer lbs? :wink: