Shamrock Shake Recipe under 200 calories!

Options
palmerar
palmerar Posts: 489 Member
OK so Shamrock Shake season is upon us and in order to avoid the 560 cals plus lord knows what else from the original, here is a recipe for one I found on Hungry Girl.

I'm sure you can adjust as necessary, and add protein powder if you wanted. I try to avoid artificial sweetners so I may tweak this and share the updated version. Enjoy!

PER SERVING (1 shake, entire recipe): 176 calories, 4g fat, 142mg sodium, 29.5g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 16g sugars, 7.5g protein -- POINTS® value 3*

Ingredients:
1 tbsp. Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
3/4 cup light vanilla soymilk
1/2 cup Breyers Smooth & Dreamy Creamy Vanilla fat-free ice cream
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
2 drops green food coloring
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)
1 1/2 cups crushed ice (8 - 12 ice cubes' worth)

Directions:
Combine Coffee-mate with 1 tbsp. hot water and stir to dissolve. Transfer mixture to a blender and add all other ingredients. Blend at high speed until mixed thoroughly. Pour into a glass and enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!

Replies

• kelleygi
    kelleygi Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Sweet!! Supa Thanks!!
  • kellyes86
    kellyes86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yum! Thanks for posting this!
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I generally stay away from Hungry Girl, because she doesn't promote real food. But this sounds pretty decent! Minus the powdered creamer. Bleh. :sick:
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    bump might give this a try
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    i was going to try a shamrock shake at mcdonalds for the first time but i didnt know if it was good or not... ?? is it...
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    YESSSSS. Totally worth the extra workout.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! I haven't tried it, but I think I would do this:

1 scoop Vanilla protein powder
    1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    a little sugar or splenda
    peppermint extract
    green food coloring
    ice
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I generally stay away from Hungry Girl, because she doesn't promote real food. But this sounds pretty decent! Minus the powdered creamer. Bleh. :sick:

Yeah I saw this post from a thread on my facebook, I don't like how she uses fat free and sugar free options to sub for the real thing because they tend to be more processed, but this one seemed like it could definitely be adjusted...I even thought about experimenting with spinach for the color.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    YESSSSS. Totally worth the extra workout.

ok because i told my dad to bring me a mcflurry instead lol - yes im bad - but its friday so i might tell him to get me the shamrock instead
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've never tried the Shamrock Shake, but this lightened up version still sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing :)
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    i was going to try a shamrock shake at mcdonalds for the first time but i didnt know if it was good or not... ?? is it...

They are awesome. I love the damn things. Before you get one though, look at the calories, and when someone picks you up off the floor they will probably be willing to drive you to go get one. They are calorie BOMBS, but sooooooooooo damn tasty.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I've totally been wanting to try the Shamrock Shake, but always cringe at the calories in any of McDonalds shakes and frappes....will definitely have to try this!
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    LOVE Shamrock Shakes--this is a great alternative :)...thanks!
  • SkinnyForMinnie
    SkinnyForMinnie Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I once heard someone say, "Anything that feels good will make you either fat or pregnant." So true. :smokin: These shakes are great!
  • leap314
    leap314 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    yuM!
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I love you!
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i tried one of these (from mcd) and wasnt all that impressed, and I am a wh0re for chocolate mint anything.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    green food coloring
    Why?

Honestly, I am failing to grasp the appeal of this concept.
  • MommaHoff
    MommaHoff Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Instead of green food coloring you could add spinach...You don't taste it but it turns it green and you get all the health benefits from the spinach.