Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Still trying to figure this weightloss stuff out

Hello! I'm about a week into this new adventure. I figured if I joined a website I might actually hold myself accountable for once.

I am 38 and a stay at home mom of two beautiful girls and in the past 10 years have been the poster child for yo-yo dieting. When my oldest was a little over a year old I went to my dr and askef for help loosing the baby weight and was very successful. Maybe to successful I ended up pregnant with in 2 months of hitting my goal weight.

Now my youngest is 4 and I'm still holding on to the "baby weight". What worked before for me isn't anymore. And I'm stuck!!!! :( I've been able to gain weight on the HCG diet I've tried cutting calories and working out only to stay the same. Now I'm reading about atkins before resorting to talking with my dr. again.

Thanks!
Dawn

Replies

• Hi, I hear you. I still trying to figure out the weightloss diets. There are so many different diets out there. I just recently joined TOPS diet program. It is very reasonable. only $28.00 a year to join and a dollar a week for the meetings compare to other diet programs. You can also do it online. It is a wonderful program. My fitness Pal is another tool I add to losing weight, getting fit, and motivating. I hope this help you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,293 Member
    Try strict calorie counting - it's really the only thing that works.

Keep this in mind when using the tools to set up your goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

You are responsible for choosing an accurate activity level. Don't try to speed up the process by choosing "Sedentary" just because it is an option.

Almost no one is Sedentary. If you care for children at home, or go to school or have any type of job, you are not Sedentary. Choose accordingly.

Eat the extra calories earned by exercise, that is how this site's calculator is meant to be used. Basically, just enter all your food and exercise and eat until you hit "0" at the bottom on your Food Diary (FOOD) page.
  • Hello,

I agree with calorie counting - in and out - that is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Be extremely careful with the Atkins diet - where it does work, but the minute you try to come off of the diet - you will balloon right back up. If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to message me or add me, we can help each other!
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Use MFP for what it is supposed to be used for. Tracking everything and adding friends will help hold you accountable. Take pictures and measurements to make sure that even if the scale isn't showing what you want you may find that you did well elsewhere! Good luck
  • jenillawafer
    jenillawafer Posts: 426 Member
    A great place to start is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It adjusts your calories according to your height/weight/activity level. It's a wall of text, but seriously worth the read!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    You have done a lot to your body - just like so many of us. Now is the time to nurture it!

Set MFP at a very moderate loss, like .5 a week; eat back your exercise calories. Eat nourishing foods, like vegetables, but don't forget the fats, like nuts and olive oil. Make sure you are tracking accurately by weighing and measuring your food. Take this opportunity to change your kids habits, if they are eating junk food.

Get exercise. Start some kind of strength training - resistance tubing is a good in home choice.

Once you have done that for a month, see how you feel and how your body is doing.

Please do not torture yourself by going to extremes! You need to keep up your energy and your health!
  • Drpingel
    Drpingel Posts: 12 Member
    Thank you for all your inputs!
  • Drpingel
    Hi, I hear you. I still trying to figure out the weightloss diets. There are so many different diets out there. I just recently joined TOPS diet program. It is very reasonable. only $28.00 a year to join and a dollar a week for the meetings compare to other diet programs. You can also do it online. It is a wonderful program. My fitness Pal is another tool I add to losing weight, getting fit, and motivating. I hope this help you.

What is TOPS? I never heard of it.
  • Drpingel
    Hello,

I agree with calorie counting - in and out - that is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Be extremely careful with the Atkins diet - where it does work, but the minute you try to come off of the diet - you will balloon right back up. If you have any other concerns or questions, please feel free to message me or add me, we can help each other!

Thank you, when I read into it, it reminded me of the "flat belly diet" another one that I managed to gain weight on.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Just remember, small changes will lead to a big result. Think of how long it took to put on the weight and realize it'll take time to get it off. You will fall of the wagon but remember that tomorrow is a new day.

Use this site to the full advantage. Log your food everyday, the good and the bad. Find motivating friends (feel free to add me) and visit the boards to hear the tips (just keep in mind... sometimes it's bogus lol!)

Side note... my mom joined TOPS forever ago and said it was one of the best weight loss groups she had ever tried. I myself haven't looked into it...
  • mjpbgtd
    mjpbgtd Posts: 115 Member
    A great place to start is here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It adjusts your calories according to your height/weight/activity level. It's a wall of text, but seriously worth the read!

I just read this today and it makes a lot of sense. You're right about it being a wall of text though! :smile: