Treadmill vs outdoor running

Options
Have any of you noticed a difference between running on a treadmill vs outdoor (i.e., on a track, cross-country, streets, etc.)? I've been running on a treadmill for about a year now and have increased my time for a mile. The other day I went out and ran on pavement for the first time and I had shin splints so bad I could hardly walk 5 minutes in. That and it was much harder to run outside in general!

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference. For the most part, a treadmill is smooth. No pot holes or uneven terrain. You control the pace and the incline easily. Outside, you can control it, but obviously not as easily.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is much easier. Move the incline to 1% if you want to simulate outdoors. Still not the same, but closer.

Running outside should not be giving you shin splints in five minutes, however. I'd say you need new shoes.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is much easier. Move the incline to 1% if you want to simulate outdoors. Still not the same, but closer.

Running outside should not be giving you shin splints in five minutes, however. I'd say you need new shoes.

Running outside made me realize that I do need new shoes! I went inside, got on the treadmill, and had zero shin splints. I've also heard that the treadmill is easier on joints/less impact? Seems to be understandable with my shin splint incident!
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    With treadmills, one doesn't propel themselves forward as one would when on pavement. They simply pick up and put down each foot. On pavement, you have wind resistance, (minimal effect, usually) uneven terrain, and other anomalies one negates while on a treadmill. I seem to run better on a treadmill. Also, I feel as if there is less impact on a treadmill as well.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill vs running outside is 2 different things. When you are running outside, you are propelling yourself forward by moving your legs. On a treadmill, the ground is moving and you are forcing yourself to stay in place. This works different muscles and to a certain degree, the form is slightly different. I recommend going to runner's world or various health sites to learn more about this.

Although you can train to run outdoor races on a treadmill, you cannot actually simulate an outdoor run by just increase incline; unless your whole outside run is running up a mountain.

In regards to your shin splints, there a ton of possible reasons for them. Instead of me listing them and you self diagnosing the issue, I recommend going to a running store or sports doctor to be properly fitted for shoes and to have your form looked at.

One of the most common culprits of going from indoor to outdoor running is that people are not used to going from a flat cushoined surface of a treadmill to a rough and anything but flat outdoor surface. A good way to transition to outdoor running is to try and start by running on a track. This will give you the flat surface you like, but usually your stride will increase due to not being restricted by the treadmill width and length...this can cause your form to alter, which causes injuries. Once you get accustomed to the track, hit the roads. OR...there are tons of fitness articles that give a simple or detailed ways to transition without injury. Good luck!
  • LisasRoadtolosing100lbs
    Options
    I cant run on a treadmill. Running outdoors is much easier for me. I enjoy my runs and love the views. I also find that trying to maintain a pace on a treadmill which throws off my game. I can run for nearly 4 miles and its so nice. I cant wait til summer and I can run the beach to build my endurance and speed. AHH... bare foot running!!!!!!!!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I find running outside to be much easier. I run much faster outside vs in.
  • cinrn68
    cinrn68 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issues in the past with trying to start the C25K program running outside. I also had shin splints very soon after starting the program. I'm chalking it up to the shoes as well, but have yet to try running outside again (winter here now). I have a treadmill now (didn't when I did the program last time) and have been running without any issues. I have new shoes, but I also think the cushioned platform also helps. Like others have mentioned, it's a different "process", not to mention surface, between running on treadmill vs. pavement (or a track). I will be transitioning outdoors once spring arrives, so I'll be anxious to see if I have the same issues once again.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Running outside is much harder then a treadmill. I can not run for more then a half hour on the treadmill before I get bored.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,837 Member
    Options
    I run so much better outdoors. I can set MY pace as I want and not go by the treadmill. As for burn, it's been pretty close on calories for either. I just FEEL better outside.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have a different set of running shoes for the treadmill and outside. My outside shoes have a lot more support / cushion for my knees because of the pounding of the pavement vs the pad on the treadmill.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i prefere the great outdoors,, the fresh air,,, even if it is minus 30 and a blizzard.
  • unidiverse
    Options
    I run both outdoors and on a treadmill and there are things that I like about both. Like if it is raining and cold. I have found that I run about half the distance ( a little more than half) outdoors than what I run on the treadmill. The treadmill is easy, it is springy and if I want to run faster I just up the speed. Outdoors you are the one pushing yourself. No spring and no button. If you have only run on a treadmill don't try running that distance outdoors, you will hurt yourself.
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Running outside is so much easier for me. I have completed 3 half marathons and 1 full marathon in less than a year, but I cannot run for more than 3 miles on a treadmill without wanting to die. Outside, the time flies by and I don't even notice how far/long I've been running. I am also faster outside than on a treadmill.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I think the treadmill is easier BUT it also pushes me to keep going. When I'm outside I get hot and lazy. When I'm on the treadmill I control my pace (I do HIIT anyway, so its running/sprinting).
  • Lostone31
    Options
    Shin splints == heel striker

Try to keep your feet under you and land midfoot. I had the same problem which caused me to have to walk 1.5miles in agonizing pain. Cured the problem overnight by landing midfoot. Thick heeled shoes are the devil!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Shin splints are usually caused from pounding down on your heels. The treadmill is cushioned so it's more forgiving of bad form than the road is. For road running you need to be sure you're landing midfoot and shorten your stride. You can also lean forward a bit outside which helps with propulsion and landing softly.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Much more fast twitch fibers involved in outdoor running....uneven payment, propelling oneself forward. Works many more muscles. Gotta start slow when you move from a treadmill to outside.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Very interesting, guys!
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill vs running outside is 2 different things. When you are running outside, you are propelling yourself forward by moving your legs. On a treadmill, the ground is moving and you are forcing yourself to stay in place. This works different muscles and to a certain degree, the form is slightly different. I recommend going to runner's world or various health sites to learn more about this.

Although you can train to run outdoor races on a treadmill, you cannot actually simulate an outdoor run by just increase incline; unless your whole outside run is running up a mountain.

In regards to your shin splints, there a ton of possible reasons for them. Instead of me listing them and you self diagnosing the issue, I recommend going to a running store or sports doctor to be properly fitted for shoes and to have your form looked at.

One of the most common culprits of going from indoor to outdoor running is that people are not used to going from a flat cushoined surface of a treadmill to a rough and anything but flat outdoor surface. A good way to transition to outdoor running is to try and start by running on a track. This will give you the flat surface you like, but usually your stride will increase due to not being restricted by the treadmill width and length...this can cause your form to alter, which causes injuries. Once you get accustomed to the track, hit the roads. OR...there are tons of fitness articles that give a simple or detailed ways to transition without injury. Good luck!

^^

I agree...I envy you guys that have nice weather all year. I have to switch between treadmill and outdoor running since I'm in the Midwest. It's definitely an adjustment when I switch.