How important is it to meet your calorie goals each day?

Options
I have always had a difficult time with dieting. Food all of the sudden becomes the enemy. I am scared by "starvation mode" but also desperately want to see results.

I am at 155lbs
Goal weight 125-130
Doing the 30 day shred, on rest days elliptical
My caloric goal has been set at 1390

Do I really need to try and eat 1390 calories each day to lose weight healthfully? Do I need to eat the extra calories I burn from exercise?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    it depends on how hard core you want to go,
    personally, the majority here are way too serious for me
    i work hard all week, and let loose on weekends.
    I LIKE TO HAVE FUN!
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? Unless you are 5'1 that sounds like way too few calories, especially if you are not eating back exercise calories.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Not really.
    Everything is an estimate.
    Do you really think each homemade cookie has exactly 170 calories?:laugh:
    As long as you're not way under, I say don't worry about.

Edit because I really need to learn how to read all the things: Do try to eat back your exercise calories. As much as you can. It really help you feel much better. Your body needs those extra calories to do everyday things (like breathing) and if you're not giving them to your body, you'll feel wore down and tired
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You want to eat close to your goal. If your deficit is too large you risk muscle loss. For exercise calories I'd say at least eat back half. You don't have a lot to lose so you want a smaller deficit.

Here's a good thread about exercise calories:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would try get what you have set, and then 1/2 or all of your exercise on top of that. Depending how you feel comfortable going.

I probably have the same weight loss % goal as you. Mine is set at 2100 sumthing, I burned 2050 extra cal exercise yesterday I ate 3100 total. I lose weight pretty easy as long as I hit it hard.

Every body is different so try things out and don't stress it.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This has helped me and many, many others on here. Right now I'm set to net 1525/day, and I'm eating between 1800-2300 (exercise calories, yes). And cardio will only get you so far. Start lifting - it will change your life! :)

Best of luck.
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just watch my carb count stay low, and watch my protein count skyrocket. Everything else is mehhh
  • chrisb75
    Options
    I normally try to come within 100 calories either way of my daily goal. I have been just now getting back on track, and my diet is crap, but I am working toward remedying that. Before I was injured and went off track, I took the mindset that food was not my enemy. It was my fuel for my workouts, and that mindset helped a lot.
  • jennifermarie16144
    Options
    your metabolism needs food in order for it to be most efficient. I would eat as close to your calories as you can.
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2

I appreciate everyone's responses! I especially appreciate the "let's not get to crazy here" mentality lol.
  • chrisb75
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This has helped me and many, many others on here. Right now I'm set to net 1525/day, and I'm eating between 1800-2300 (exercise calories, yes). And cardio will only get you so far. Start lifting - it will change your life! :)

Best of luck.

This x 1000
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I try to stay with-in my calorie goal (1750) every day. Over the months it helped re-train my body as to what "being full" felt like. When I excercise, I'll use some of that deficit for a treat, or save them up for a party or dinner out, but on a weekly basis I am always below my calorie limit - always.

And after almost a year I really don't feel like I am overly regimented. I know what I can eat, and when I should stop.
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!
    First off, stop using the work diet and change your thinking. You don't have to ban anything from your life. As long as you are within your calorie goal you will lose weight. I still eat pizza, chocolate, pasta etc. and have been very successful. Your 1390 calorie goal already has a deficit for you to lose weight without exercising. If you don't eat back your exercise calories you are creating an unhealthy deficit. Your body need fuel to function. If you don't give it enough food your body will hold onto everything you do give it hence no weight loss. Be as consistant with the amount of calories you get per day because when your body knows it is going to get the nutrition it needs it will shed the excess.
  • nitrogen_widget
    nitrogen_widget Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    it depends on how hard core you want to go,
    personally, the majority here are way too serious for me
    i work hard all week, and let loose on weekends.
    I LIKE TO HAVE FUN!

THIS!
    Well at least one day out of the weekend.
    But I usually go lower cal during the week a few days to make up for it.
    Sometimes if I binge real good on the weekend i'll stick to 1200 - 1300 cals for a few days to keep the fat loss rolling.
    Guess what?
    My internal organs don't fail & my muscles don't shrivel up either. LOL!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Daily - not so much.

Weekly - it's a good idea to be roughly on target.

There is a function on the Android App which shows you how many calories you have remaining for the week and your average per day. It's pretty groovy especially if you like eating less on the weekday but more on the weekend...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Daily - not so much.

There is a function on the Android App which shows you how many calories you have remaining for the week and your average per day. It's pretty groovy especially if you like eating less on the weekday but more on the weekend...

Yep, this.

Although be careful. I used to go super-low on the weekdays (1200 cals, roughly) and then go crazy on the weekends. All it caused was a wild up/down 5lb fluctuation for about three months. Granted, a lot of the weight 'gained' was because of salt/water weight come Monday, but I was still unable to get the scale to move that way.

Moral of the story - you can easily eat back whatever deficit you've created if you deprive yourself all week and then go crazy on the weekends. Enjoy yourself, but don't eat the house.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Daily - not so much.

Yep, this.

Although be careful. I used to go super-low on the weekdays (1200 cals, roughly) and then go crazy on the weekends. All it caused was a wild up/down 5lb fluctuation for about three months. Granted, a lot of the weight 'gained' was because of salt/water weight come Monday, but I was still unable to get the scale to move that way.

Moral of the story - you can easily eat back whatever deficit you've created if you deprive yourself all week and then go crazy on the weekends. Enjoy yourself, but don't eat the house.

Oh absolutely.

You don't want to set up a starve / binge pattern - so in essence avoid extremes.Clearly if you are wiping out your deficit by your eating on the weekend then that will be counter productive...

With water weight fluctuations that will play out eventually. If the trend is downwards month on month, rather than week to week or day to day then you're all good ;)
  • GreenLaura22
    GreenLaura22 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank-you all so very much!
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    IT doesnt matter !!!!!!!!!!! ( rocks voice )
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Very important. Also important not to go too much under either. I try to stay as close as possible to my goal.