stronglifts 5x5 and running

Options
Ok, i do stronglift 5x5 mon, wed, fri, i feel, like im cheating myself by taking more rest days, i may start running on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday,, good or bad idea? Oh, my stats; 5ft3, 170 lbs 39 perce. Bfody fat. Goal, 20 percentbf by sept, 150 lbs by mat

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not really good or bad necessarily... depends on how you are feeling and what your goals are.

I will say that you need to get over the idea that rest days are bad. You may not need them now (I assume you are fairly early in the stronglifts program and not lifting near your max?), but you certainly will in time.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    good idea, i think - i'm going to do the same myself as weights alone isn't doing it for me. want to see what others think too.
  • 93civej1
    93civej1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    can someone explain exactly what the 5x5 is?

Is it 5 exercises that are 5 sets each

is it one exercise that is 5 sets with 5 reps each

is it 5 exercises, with 5 sets and 5 reps? Im confused.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

It's a strength training philosophy... 5 major compound lifts, 5 sets of 5 reps. There are several 5x5 programs, the 2 most popular being Stronglifts and Starting Strength. Different programs may have slightly different lifts, but they all center around squats, deads, bench, and overhead press. The 5th lift can vary depending on the program and the lifter.
  • RMeDude
    Options
    I am in week 7 of SL and my training plan is as follows.
    Mon: Run in AM SL at lunch
    Tues: Spin Class in AM followed by pool workout
    Wed: SL at Lunch
    Thurs: Spin class in AM followed by Pool workout
    Friday: Core/ Cardio Class in AM
    Sat: SL at Lunch

No issues yet, but my goal is not to get huge. As a Soldier, part of my evaluation is my cardio fitness, so I cannot let it go. I am pretty impressed with the results from the SL and Cardio combination.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

It's a strength building program that has you working out 3 days a week doing heavy weightlifting exercises for 5 sets of 5 reps.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

Effectively, yes. Just google Stronglifts 5x5. It's a beginner strength training program.

Also, OP, I've been doing the same since October. I do SL5x5 on M/W/F early in the morning and then try to run Tues and Sat. Thursday is typically yoga/stretching and Sunday is my "I'm not doing anything at all today" day.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

There are two separate workouts that make up SL 5x5. Each workout consists of 3 exercises that you do 5 reps/5sets of.

Squats are in both workouts, then there are barbell rows, bench presses, overhead presses, and deadlifts.
  • mdh185
    mdh185 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I lift and bike on 3 days and run the other 3 with one rest day. Both my strength and endurance are coming back. Unless you are training for the Olympics it is really hard to do anything bad as long as you are doing something.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

D. All of the above
  • StephL0711
    Options
    im in my 5th week of sl and at first i was planning to do insanity on rest days(yup i didnt stick to it lol) so instead i sometimes do like 20 min of hiit on rest days from sl.
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Ok, cool,, thank all of y'all. I think i will be doing mwf sl 5x5.. Running on tue, thursday. I really want to try to get strength, and i know i won't get bulky. Its starting to get pretty out side and i want to get my butt hustling .. I gots goals and deadlines. Thank y'all
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    As the weights get heavier that is going to be a tough schedule. My only advice is make sure you are eating enough or any benefits to the weightlifting are going be lost when you start burning away lean muscle mass. I do VERY if any cardio outside of walking. I will occasionally do yoga with my Fiancee but that isn't very often. I mainly stick with lifting and now that the weights are getting heavy, I need my rest days.
  • MrsBach
    MrsBach Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started SL this week and know how difficult it will be by week 6. The book (yes I did read it) urges you to rest and not do any strenuous exercise on the rest days. I want to stay in the habit of going to the gym every day, so on T/Th, I do LISS. Low Intensity Steady State. For me that means no more than 4.0 at 1% on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I don't want to hinder whatever might be going on in my muscles on the rest days.