Best shoe for Turbo Fire or Insanity?

Options
What is the best shoe for these programs? I have really good running shoes but with all the back and forth and side to side, I feel as though I need something different? What have you found that you think is the best? Please be specific.

Thanks!!

Replies

• JustAGirlyGeek
    JustAGirlyGeek Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would look into cross trainers.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I prefer to go barefoot. It just feels like I have better balance without shoes.
  • dream_big
    dream_big Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I do turbo fire barefoot, tried using my shoes I use for running but made it a lot more difficult cause I have to do it on carpet and hurt the arch of my foot, which I found weird cause I can run 6+ miles in them.
  • azwildcats7
    azwildcats7 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I do Turbofire and I started with my running shoes but those did not work well on my carpet at all. I went barefoot for about month and then my ankles started to get a little achy. I found these Nike Musique IV shoes, the reviews all said they were good for Zumba so I figured they'd work for TF too. Oh my gosh, I LOVE them! They pivot on my carpet so well. I wouldn't go for a run or anything in them but they work great for this workout.
    http://www.footlocker.com/product/model:97922/sku:24751141/nike-musique-iv-womens/white/light-blue/?cm=GLOBAL SEARCH: KEYWORD SEARCH
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Barefoot!
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have done both programs and have used asics as my main brand. They have been GREAT shoes for the movement, but I have found that my foot keeps cramping up and blamed it on my shoes. Apparently I walk on the outside of my foot more and is causing me difficulties. I got a new insert for them and they are better than ever now! I tried nike last year and they just didn't do it for me!
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I can't go barefoot. It would kill my ankles and knees...(wish I could :smile: )
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have two pairs of shoes, runners and crosstrainers. Running shoes have quite a bit of mesh for breathability, also, it's lighter; I have a hard time using these for Insanity. Crosstrainers have more support for side to side activities, being less mesh on top and different lace patterns. If these are activities that you are confident you will enjoy doing a great deal, my best advice would be to visit a specialty shoe store and invest in a shoe to specially fit your needs. It will be more costly, but your knees and ankles will thank you for it :)
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The right shoe really is important! It's amazing how much we don't think about it and how much we can learn with some simple advice. I used to use my cross trainers for everything, thinking that's what they're designed for. Then I bought real running shoes for running and the difference was amazing! My speed and distance improved very quickly!

I also learned recently that running shoes just aren't meant for cross training. I wear my running shoes in the gym and was talking to someone who I know likes the same brand & model (Brooks Adrenaline) and she said she was told by the shoe guy that running shoes can really suffer if you use them for cross training. Because they're designed for forward movement, anything other than that (like doing circuit training) can really wear them down quickly. Who knew?!

Those Zumba shoes someone above recommended sound like they'd be about right but I wouldt think anything designed for cross training as it would cover side and forward movement.
  • jorgele
    jorgele Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I did one round of insanity and used asics running shoes. They fit great and I never had any foot pain or shin splints.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Bump for later...doing Insanity soon.
  • ludoles
    Options
    I always check out this website before starting a new fitness program - www.topfitnesssites.com - My personal favourite is p90x because it's hard enough that you know your getting results but not so hard that you give up after a few days
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Running shoes aren't good because they have too much wiggle room for the toes. With all the jumping and twisting, you need snug shoes. I found a good fitting pair of cross trainers best for Turbo Fire. Mine are New Balance brand but you really just should try a few on and find one that fits your foot.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do turbo fire barefoot, tried using my shoes I use for running but made it a lot more difficult cause I have to do it on carpet and hurt the arch of my foot, which I found weird cause I can run 6+ miles in them.

You did Turbo Fire barefoot on carpet? How did you avoid carpet burn with all the twists?
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! yea - I was using my running shoes and they just didn't seem to be doing the job. also, I am a size 5 in shoes so I have to order online...but I did find some asics crosstrainers that I ordered. I'll let you know how I like them. :smile: