Is drinking water THAT important for weight loss?

Options
I'm not talking about getting my 64oz per day. I'm talking about 96oz or more water.

Thanks,

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    no, drinking in excess doesn't give you some magical power to lose more weight. the benefits that a lot of people see is that it helps fill them up and thus eat less overall.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated keeps your body operating properly. Drinking huge amounts of water taxes your kidneys and makes you spend a large portion of the day in the bathroom. The only secret weight loss feature drinking a lot of water has is that it may keep you from eating because you feel full and the extra calories you burn off running to pee.
  • DotPett
    DotPett Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have noticed, at least for me, that i lose weight faster by drinking more water. Could be the filling me up thing, but I also think its flushing some of the sodium out that makes me retain water.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have noticed, at least for me, that i lose weight faster by drinking more water. Could be the filling me up thing, but I also think its flushing some of the sodium out that makes me retain water.

Flushing sodium so you don't retain water isn't losing fat.
  • JMSemones
    JMSemones Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Please read this....it will tell you the importance of drinking water for weight loss...http://www.weightlossforall.com/benefits-water-drinking.htm
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to drink large amounts of any kind of drink and never have. I average about 32 oz a day if that, and I am losing fat and functioning just fine. Some days I do consciously drink more because I knowingly consumed too much sodium and I hate bloat, but it's really about you and what your body is telling you.
  • Lisa2bHappy
    Options
    Water will help you pee out any fluid you are holding on to but as a general rule I drink 2 litres a day just to keep everythin movin and is great for your skin (also prevents constipation as bowels need water to push everythin along) haha soz to those who are about to eat btw.. Thats just my slant on it.. Take care and good luck on your journey B-)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No. Drinking water doesn't make you lose fat or tip the calories in / calories out balance one way or the other.

Yes it's important to stay adequately hydrated for health but drinking more water (or any other hydrating liquid) than you need doesn't have any magical properties.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Unless you're obese, then I don't think drinking more will do much
    Unless it's really cold, you'll burn a few bonus calories drinking cold water lol
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Water is important for life period. It helps to flush toxins from your system, it helps to move the feces through your intestines, it makes your skin look better....whats not to love about water?
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    No. Our bodies need hydration whether that comes from water, fruits, vegetables, soup etc. When your body is hydrated your urine will be a light yellow color. Yes, drinking water helps to flush out sodium if you have over indulged but it does not magically speed weight loss. There is no specific # of glasses of water we must drink as long as your body is hydrated(based on urine color) we are good.
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I drank over a gallon of water today, just because I was bored. When I got hungry, I grabbed a water bottle. And of course the during/post workout water. And water with all 6 of my meals. Guess it adds up huh? haha
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    No. Our bodies need hydration whether that comes from water, fruits, vegetables, soup etc. When your body is hydrated your urine will be a light yellow color. Yes, drinking water helps to flush out sodium if you have over indulged but it does not magically speed weight loss. There is no specific # of glasses of water we must drink as long as your body is hydrated(based on urine color) we are good.

I was drinking about 70 oz of water a day and found I wasn't hydrated enough (based on urine color). Now I am drinking over 100 oz a day and am hydrated, plus I feel better. :smile:

ETA: It keeps me full and I don't snack as much.... haha
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    staying properly hydrated is very important.

you don't need to drink pure water to be properly hydrated, you can get hydrated drinking most drinks (not alcohol though). It's generally a good idea to not consume to many calories in the process, but nothing wrong with calorie containing drinks if you log them and don't go over your calorie goal.

there's no one specific number of glasses of water you should drink each day. I keep on seeing "eight cups a day"... however, the amount of water you need depends on how much you sweat. That depends on how active you are and the climate. Where I live (Bahrain) I need way more than 8 cups of water a day in the summer, more like several litres a day. When you exercise, you sweat, so you need to replace that water, which may mean someone needs more than 8 cups a day. On the other hand, if you're not doing much and it's cold, 8 cups of water is too many... it won't do you any harm but the extra trips to the bathroom to get rid of the excess might be a bit of a pain.

Sorry to explain this in a crude way, but if your pee is clear or very pale, you're adequately hydrated. If your pee is dark coloured, then you probably need to drink more water. If you're thirsty, you need to drink more water. If you know you're going to sweat a lot (e.g. going to the gym, or it's a hot day) then drink more water. No need to find a magic number, listen to your body.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have serious issues with sodium. When my water intake is too low and/or my sodium is too high, I easily gain 2-3 pounds of water weight within a day. So /for me/ having at least eight cups of water a day is a necessity and is very important for my weight loss. I think in the end it probably depends on the person, some people will be affected less by it.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    The only time I drink more water is on my workout days. I sweat A LOT when I work out, so I'm usually really thirsty during and after workouts. I also try to drink more if I overdo it with sodium, just to flush some of it out.

Otherwise I usually drink around 6 to 8 - 8oz servings of water per day. With all the veggies, fruits and water/stock-based soups I eat (as well as the herb teas I drink), I find that I stay pretty hydrated without having to drink lots of extra water.
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    staying properly hydrated is very important.

you don't need to drink pure water to be properly hydrated, you can get hydrated drinking most drinks (not alcohol though). It's generally a good idea to not consume to many calories in the process, but nothing wrong with calorie containing drinks if you log them and don't go over your calorie goal.

there's no one specific number of glasses of water you should drink each day. I keep on seeing "eight cups a day"... however, the amount of water you need depends on how much you sweat. That depends on how active you are and the climate. Where I live (Bahrain) I need way more than 8 cups of water a day in the summer, more like several litres a day. When you exercise, you sweat, so you need to replace that water, which may mean someone needs more than 8 cups a day. On the other hand, if you're not doing much and it's cold, 8 cups of water is too many... it won't do you any harm but the extra trips to the bathroom to get rid of the excess might be a bit of a pain.

Sorry to explain this in a crude way, but if your pee is clear or very pale, you're adequately hydrated. If your pee is dark coloured, then you probably need to drink more water. If you're thirsty, you need to drink more water. If you know you're going to sweat a lot (e.g. going to the gym, or it's a hot day) then drink more water. No need to find a magic number, listen to your body.

THIS^^ I was gonna say almost the same thing.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I don't have science to back it up, but I feel better and have more energy when I'm properly hydrated.

I'll stick with my 150-200oz a day :D
  • keya729
    keya729 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Great response because a lot of people don't understand the benefits of drinking water. No it doesn't help with weight loss but it does help with the flushing of your system.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

^^^ this !

Urine is naturally light yellow in colour - you should not aim to make it colourless. Our bodies are very efficient at removing waste products - extra amounts of water are not necessary. In hot and/or dry climates or with heavy exercise routines you will need more water. If you are having difficulty forcing yourself to drink then you probably don't need it!