One month, swim or weights.

Options
Hi guys!

So I have exactly 4 weeks till in in a wedding in Hawai (Not mine). I want to reallly crunch and focus on the gym the next month. Im looking to look a lot better in the bridesmaid dress. Its strapless, so arms is my real issue.

My question;
I LOVE to swim. I have the ability to swim 5 days a week. But, even though I swim an hour plus, fast and well, I hardly ever am sore from the workout. I can also do cardio, or weight workouts, which weights always make me sore the next day.
What exactly do you guys think would be the best for the next month? Swim swim swim? Hit the weights? Swim 5 days, weights/cardio 2 days?

Thanks for the input!

Im at 177#, 5'4", I workout out cardio/weights normally 3-5 days a week.

I have a military friend who helps make weight lifting workouts. Swimming I have been doing my whole life, and I just hate running, so only do 30-40 mins.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I'd do a combination of both, but you're not likely to see a huge difference in 4 weeks, sorry. Really, you need to dial in your diet, so focus on that, and do workouts you like, but definitely don't limit it to either cardio or lifting, do both.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I would say if you are swimming five days a week and you LOVE swimming you WILL see a difference in 4 weeks.

You won't see much of a difference hitting weights in 4 weeks however. I've nothing against weights it's just - well - it is a slower process.

Go swim girl!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Oh yea, diet! My diet is pretty on spot. Im usually pretty good with that. I stay in a 1200-1600 calorie range. A lot of meats and veggies.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    my opinion is to do what you love

My favorite form of cardio was scuba diving when I lived in grand cayman - I could do two dives a day and it didn't feel like a workout at all even though it was probably burning like 1200ish calories. If you do what you like to do it wont feel like you are working out.

Swimming is a phenomenal exercise, I think if you supplement that with some weights maybe 2 days a week you will be set!
  • CallieM15
    Options
    my opinion is to do what you love

My favorite form of cardio was scuba diving when I lived in grand cayman - I could do two dives a day and it didn't feel like a workout at all even though it was probably burning like 1200ish calories. If you do what you like to do it wont feel like you are working out.

Swimming is a phenomenal exercise, I think if you supplement that with some weights maybe 2 days a week you will be set!

Thanks!

I guess I have it in my mind that workouts should suck. lol. I have a HRM, and I use it while I swim, my HRm does go up, and I can tell that I burn calories I jsut dont get sore and want to cry at the end like my weight lifting sessions. lol

Im working on a schedule today for the next month for my workouts thats why I asked. Cool thanks everyone!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    not much will happen in a month but I'd suggest weights and cardio
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You are swimming 5 days a week and you still have weight to lose. What's wrong with this picture?

I would recommend shaking things up a bit. Cut way back on the swimming. Add some HIIT. Lift weights. And don't forget that your biggest changes will be accomplished in the kitchen (and not on a starvation diet either).

Good luck. Have fun. And next time give yourself more than 1 month.
  • CallieM15
    Options
    not much will happen in a month but I'd suggest weights and cardio

I see people say this but from Jan 12th-today Ive gone down 2 dress sizes. Im not looking to drop 50pounds in this time, just slim a little more.

Jillian Michaels 30 day shred changes you pretty darn well for only 20 minute on month workout. Theres a lot that can change in 30 days, even if its just an inch.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I swim almost every day and did before I started lifting. I added lifting and my shoulders went "pow!"

Go lift weights, eat at a deficit. Overhead press, dumb bell flies, etc. Big lifts for total body. If you can do both, please do. If you can't, then weights.

ETA: all the bare shoulder pics on my profile are pre-lifting. And the t-shirt pics hide the progress.
  • CallieM15
    Options
    You are swimming 5 days a week and you still have weight to lose. What's wrong with this picture?

I would recommend shaking things up a bit. Cut way back on the swimming. Add some HIIT. Lift weights. And don't forget that your biggest changes will be accomplished in the kitchen (and not on a starvation diet either).

Good luck. Have fun. And next time give yourself more than 1 month.

Ahh! I have been at this weight loss thing for a while now. Im just wondering what I can do the next month, since its crunch time, to step things up.