Meal prep - how?!

Options
Hey ladies...need to jump into healthy eating and exercising again...SERIOUSLY!

So I've been keen to meal prep but have a question...how do you do it without wastage? I'm planning on having chicken and veggies as some work lunches but don't want it to go bad if I have them cooked but in the fridge for a few days.

How do you guys do it all? :)

Replies

• lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    We freeze a lot of food. In fact, we often make double or triple batches so that we can freeze it for when we don't want to cook.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Leave out the chicken then the veggies last longer. Add Beans or Nuts - result!
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Prep the food, put each serving into a separate container and freeze them. Best part for me is I don't have to put them in the fridge at work if they are frozen. They stay nice and cold in the thermal bag until it is time to eat. No worries about other stealing my food.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Meal planning. I sit down with a pad of paper once a week and sketch out all the meals for the week, including sides. I account for leftovers -- either i include them for dinner later in the week or I plan to take them for lunch. That way, if I have to buy a whole pack of something for one meal I can plan to use the rest of it efficiently.

Generally, if you quickly package up leftovers and get them cold, they'll be good for at least 4 days (5 at the outside), so you're good for almost the entire work week.

Doing this, I can shop once a week (twice a week if you count my farmers market runs) I save money and reduce waste.
  • MKPRN
    MKPRN Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I only prep for 4 days at a time. That way everything will get eaten before it goes bad.

If you want to prep things farther out than 4 days I would make things that freeze well like soups, chili, low carb turkey lasanga, taco meat. I do not like the taste of a plain precooked frozen chicken breast so I find that having the meat cooked in some sort of sauce makes it more tasty when frozen.