Special K

Options
So I just started the special K challenge on Monday, and I've been pretty loyal to it (except that day I had a frosty.....) But I was wondering how well it actually works.

Replies

• pittapatta
    pittapatta Posts: 15
    Options
    i'd say eat conflakes instead. lower in fat, cals and sugar
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I think it's all just hype. It's only what 1 week? 2?

Most people doing it will lose some "weight" because of a) increased fluid intake as they actually start drinking enough water causing the release of retained fluid b) the sudden shock of a diet change and c) increased exercise.
    I doubt that weight loss would continue in the long term.
    Its no different to starting any other lifestyle change. It has those fantastic sudden "results" but they're not REAL weight loss, most of it's just fluid because of the very short term of the plan.

Special K isn't actually that great. There's plenty of healthier things out there.
  • pittapatta
    pittapatta Posts: 15
    Options
    you're right sassyg, i think it's ludicrous that they can even advertise something like that. if you're eating 3 bowls of ANY cereal a day you're bound to loose weight. You could even eat 3 chocolate bars, cakes, donuts and still loose weight. it's just a fad. so stick to 3 meals a day i say
  • mythicals
    mythicals Posts: 70
    Options
    The only reason it works is because it's cutting down on the amount of calories you would normally eat. If you replaced a bagel for breakfast with a bowl of Special K, you'd save a few hundred calories. It's also a hard diet to stick to. I'd get bored eating Special K for over a week and be STARVING.
    The cereal has high fructose corn syrup and other stuff that isn't so good for you.
    Eat a more balanced diet, still loose weight and be healthier.
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    you're right sassyg, i think it's ludicrous that they can even advertise something like that.

I think their MAIN target market is the vanity-weight-loss group - you know the ones who are already nice and slim but just want to lose 5-10 pounds just to see it on the scale, y'know? They don't realise that it won't make any difference to their shape nor that it's real weight, they just want to be able to "see" a small number.

It may well interest a fair few people who want to honestly and truly lose weight, who will either burn out on eating next to noting, or get discouraged when that fluid loss stops, OR use it as a stepping stone to a healthier lifestyle.

I don't like how it makes losing so much weight, so fast, seem normal and HEALTHY, and gives people seriously wacked out ideas about what is a healthy, maintainable and sensible amount of loss per week. People will see that, lose a dress size in 2 weeks (about 12-15lb) and think that's noormal, then think they can lose 30lb in a month, or 100 lb in 3 months...
  • mimixdawn
    mimixdawn Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions!

It isn't just eating cereal all day. You eat cereal to start your day, and you're only supposed to snack twice a day (and I have to say, their Italian tomato and herb crackers are sooooo good, and only 0.2 calories per cracker!) then you can either have a meal replacement for lunch, something you made, or another bowl of cereal. And then for dinner you have something you made or a meal replacement or a bowl of cereal again.

I have to say that so far I've been on this thing for four days and I've lost 2lbs, but I'm CONSTANTLY hungry. My tummy is growling as we speak actually.

I also haven't stuck to the rules too well, I snack more than twice a day hahaha
    But what can I say, I don't want my tummy to rumble.
  • pmoore1225
    pmoore1225 Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi, there.. I started the Special K diet 3 days ago.. But I added my own little twist in it.. For breakfast Ill have cheerios, but I measure it out like im supposed to.. Then Ill eat fruit for my first snack.. and for lunch i will eat a Great value strawberry cereal bar (90cal).. and for another snack, I usually have 2 more snack before dinner.. lol. my tummy growls too.. and for dinner I have been eating A LEAN MICHELINA.. So last night with that I had2 cups of steamed brocolli.. and then one last snack after dinner.. 6 oz of carrots and 2 tblspns of ranch... Basically I just use there guidlines so i have something to go by.. OHHH might I add I have been under my calorie intake both days... so just do substituting.. you can still have the things you want.. just by them is 90 or 100 calorie portions.. I also plan on doing that.. I think the important thing is stay eat the right amount of calorie give or take.. and exercise.. After the first week your stomach will shrink and you wont be so hungry..I know that before I started this diet.. I was eating close to 2,000 cal. if not more.. so this is a big change for me to.. and I do find myself hngry... haha.. Best of luck..Trish...
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I don't know how sustainable this diet is for long term. That's the problem with any diet that requires special "bars" or foods made by the company that is promoting the diet. And my experience has been that once you lose the weight and go back to eating more normally, you will regain what you have lost.

What has worked for me is to eat real food, exercise, and learn about nutrition. It's about lifestyle change, and for me, that meant changing the way I look at food. It's fuel for my body and I like to give it only the best fuel.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the opinions!

It isn't just eating cereal all day. You eat cereal to start your day, and you're only supposed to snack twice a day (and I have to say, their Italian tomato and herb crackers are sooooo good, and only 0.2 calories per cracker!) then you can either have a meal replacement for lunch, something you made, or another bowl of cereal. And then for dinner you have something you made or a meal replacement or a bowl of cereal again.

I have to say that so far I've been on this thing for four days and I've lost 2lbs, but I'm CONSTANTLY hungry. My tummy is growling as we speak actually.

I also haven't stuck to the rules too well, I snack more than twice a day hahaha
    But what can I say, I don't want my tummy to rumble.

If you are hungry all the time, this is not a good diet. Instead of using meal replacements, eat real food...lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean meats. Have protein with every meal and snack
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Isn't that where you eat a bowl of cereal twice a day? You are just cutting calories. Stick with oatmeal or thin bagels with low fat cream cheese.
  • jenjaw
    jenjaw Posts: 10
    Options
    I generally have 2 bowls a day, not cos of the adverts ect... i just really like special k haha
  • mimixdawn
    Options
    Isn't that where you eat a bowl of cereal twice a day? You are just cutting calories. Stick with oatmeal or thin bagels with low fat cream cheese.
    You only eat two bowls if you don't want to eat your own cooking or a meal replacement
  • mimixdawn
    Options
    If you are hungry all the time, this is not a good diet. Instead of using meal replacements, eat real food...lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains and lean meats. Have protein with every meal and snack

There's the problem. I'm picky as all get out. Most veggies and most fruits are absolutely disgusting to me!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i can eat cereal all the time if i could i love cereal special k or mini wheats it really deosn't matter what kind i prefer it as a dinner snack ( i know thats bad but its better then eating a banana split i think).
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've actually taken the challenge a few times. Once when I was younger, like 15 and really was being picked on at school about my weight, and I stuck to it for a month and lost 5 pounds, but gained it back once I stopped and became depressed and now I'm taking it again and trying to stick to it, not only because its one of the only cereals I like, but because I want to drop about 20 pounds and I probably should have started this before bikini season, but whatever. I'm trying my best to eat healthier, I switched to whole or multi grain and I'm drinking a lot more water and actually watching portion sizes and I'm sticking to it, but it's hard because I have so many temptations around; my fiance isn't much on anything that can't be microwaved, ha.

Anyway. Special K is fine if you stick to their plan. Eat their cereal in the morning, have your own lunch, drink a protein shake or eat a protein bar of theirs for dinner and eat fruits and veggies for snacks. It's fine, but you have to understand losing weight, doing it the right way, wont happen over night. So for some people it might take 2 weeks to lose an inch and other it might take a month to lose that same inch doing the same things, it's just different for different people