Why does MFP add calories

Options
I don't understand why when we do exercise does MFP add the calories you "earned" by exercising to your daily goal. Doesn't that totally defeat the purpose, makes it look like you can eat more just because you exercised. I don't eat the "earned" calories, but why put them in to begin with!? :huh:

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 1 lb a week you need a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories. That deficit can come from less food or more exercise. Since MFP already calculates that deficit for you it suggests that you eat back your exercise calories so that you don't create too high a deficit which can be unhealthy.
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    thought the exact same way in the beginning, and I didn't eat my calories back, I did lose weight but only for a few weeks. Once I started eating back my calories I have CONSISTENTLY lost a pound a week for 20 weeks. I think the general reason is that your body doesn't get enough calories to function correctly, and every time you do eat your body stores it as fat bacause it thinks its being starved, which is basically what is happening. I don't eat ALL my calories back all the time, but i try to come close to 200 under at the least.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    makes it look like you can eat more just because you exercised.

Right, This is all about energy. Fat is energy, calories are energy, food is energy, excersise BURNS energy.

And while it is about burning more energy than you consume...you have to do that within reason. If you cut too far back you will be uncomfortable. When you're uncomfortable you are more likely to fall off the wagon.

You might lose for a little while, you might be able to push aside the discomfort for a little while...but like the stock market, there will be a correction at some point, and it won't be a good for weight loss success.

Comfort = long term success...eat your excersise calories.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    What everybody else said..... MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your age, weight, gender, and daily activity level that you put in when you joined MFP. This goal assumes no extra exercise which burns calories. So when you burn more calories, you can eat more calories. That's why it looks like way... because you CAN eat more calories AND lose weight when you exercise. Isn't it great?! :bigsmile:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose 1 lb a week you need a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories. That deficit can come from less food or more exercise. Since MFP already calculates that deficit for you it suggests that you eat back your exercise calories so that you don't create too high a deficit which can be unhealthy.

this is the best, easiest to understand answer to this question I've ever read-- bravo.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Doesn't defeat the purpose at all. You're exercising to make your body (heart, lungs, muscles) stronger, not to create the calorie deficit. The calorie deficit you need to lose weight has already been factored my MFP. :smile:

For me, it's IMPORTANT to eat my exercise calories. If I create calorie deficits that are too large, my metabolism slows down to compensate and I *don't lose weight.* If I eat more, I lose more! Seems counterintutive at first, but I'm very active and my body needs fuel to keep the fire (read: metabolism) burning.

And you know what? I'm just fine with eating 1600-2000 calories a day while losing 1.5-2 pounds a week. YUM! :wink: If I eat less, I don't lose more (I actually lose less), so why fight it? I just do what my body wants me to do and we're all happy. :tongue:
  • cocacole77
    cocacole77 Posts: 53
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else is saying! I always eat HALF of my exercise calories and sometimes a little more. I have been losing two pounds a week doing this. That is why I love MFP so much...it has really taught me about my body and what it needs!

Good luck and good eating ;)