Anybody busting their butts and seeing NO results?

Replies

• Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Are you also taking measurements? You are probably building muscles, and shrinking, but just not seeing those numbers on the scale...
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Also, does the *kind* of calories you eat affect weight gain or loss when eating back your exercise calories?

Not to any significant degree, no. Focus on the macros.

^^Agreed. If you have a decent deficit, then you will lose. If you aren't losing then either your calories-in aren't being logged accurately or there's a medical condition or some miscalculation in the calories-out. The difference that your macros make is mostly in satiety and adherence.

ETA: And "medical condition" can actually be simply that you've been on a VLCD for a long time and screwed up your hormone levels and metabolism, which can be reversed by slowly upping them to maintenance and staying on maintenance calories for several weeks.
  • wormy80
    wormy80 Posts: 64 Member
    bumping for later
  • Thanks every one that is really helpful and youre right I went back and looked at my calories and what Ive been eating and its not as good as I thought.

Also silly question but am I suppose to stay under the calories deficiet even after a work out? Say Im suppose eat 1350 calories a day and I burn 500 working out does that mean I should eat 1850 calories a day bc I dont get it?

Ive never really been good at understanding what Im suppose to do because there are so many different ideas and techniques that my brain is over whelmed and Im not sure where to start.

Also I have really bad asthma so my time at the gym is split between working out and having to wait to get my breath under control so I basically can run a little walk a little or lift some weights and then I have to stop for 5-10 mins to get my lungs under control so my actual work out time may be 2 hours a day once in the morning and once at night but my heartrate never gets elevated.....I am having tests done next week to see what I can do so wish me luck that I will the potential to have a good workout in soon :happy:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Thanks every one that is really helpful and youre right I went back and looked at my calories and what Ive been eating and its not as good as I thought.

Also silly question but am I suppose to stay under the calories deficiet even after a work out? Say Im suppose eat 1350 calories a day and I burn 500 working out does that mean I should eat 1850 calories a day bc I dont get it?

Ive never really been good at understanding what Im suppose to do because there are so many different ideas and techniques that my brain is over whelmed and Im not sure where to start.

Also I have really bad asthma so my time at the gym is split between working out and having to wait to get my breath under control so I basically can run a little walk a little or lift some weights and then I have to stop for 5-10 mins to get my lungs under control so my actual work out time may be 2 hours a day once in the morning and once at night but my heartrate never gets elevated.....I am having tests done next week to see what I can do so wish me luck that I will the potential to have a good workout in soon :happy:

If you're following MFP's guidelines, then yes you should be eating 1850.

Read these for more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

As for all the different ideas...
    The fundamentals are the same for everyone, period. To lose weight, eat less than you burn throughout the day. To gain weight, eat more than you burn. How you accomplish that is up to you. It can be done with diet alone, or diet and exercise. If you choose to incorporate exercise, cardio and strength training affect the body differently but are generally good to do.
  • All of the theories here are solid

As a beginner, here's my two cents about what you might do. I only offer it, because a year ago I probably would have posted exactly as you did!

I'd throw out all of your previous calculations and start over....Maybe even get some professional guidance. I had a false start in trying to get fit. I think I failed because I just toyed with the idea of calorie tracking, estimating based on my assumptions and strategically "forgetting" a Twinkie here or there, or a Latte. (LOL) Looking back, I can clearly see that I waaaay underestimated my caloric intake. At best, i was simply maintaining my weight on most days, and then gaining small amounts on splurge days or at special events.

Exercise is another place that I'd be really careful. I was primarily using my martial arts exercises to lose weight, but, because I've done those moves thousands of times, my body can do them with maximum efficiency. Simply put, my caloric burn just wasn't what I hoped it would be. It was the opposite of the muscle confusion theory.

Also, I'd really be interested in how you feel???? Do you feel alert and strong. Or are you hungry and tired? This time around i am really listening to body. If I feel lightheaded or foggy, I eat - period! And i am also beginning to be able to tell when I've eaten enough, even if what i'm eating is great and i'd like more of it. I think maybe we underestimate what our body can tell us - IF WE LISTEN!

Just some thoughts from a newbie!!!!!! All the best!
  • Can someone please tell me what macros are and any other acronym on here because I honestly done get it and I feel so dumb when Im trying to understand and I get more and more acronyms that I have never heard of or dont know what they truely are.....so frustrating :cry: I feel that I am the only person who doesnt understand because there is so much I dont know what to believe
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    At the end of the day, you want your calorie intake to be 500 calories lower than the total number of calories you've used that day.

The simplest way to do this is BMR * 1.2 (sedentary) is your TDEE if you don't do anything active in a day besides normal stuff like walking to the car and going to the bathroom. Take 500 off that for your baseline.

If you do any vigorous exercise, that increases your TDEE that day. So, yes, eat more calories to make up for it.

Example: if your BMR is 1400, your sedentary TDEE is 1680. Shoot for 1200 calories a day. If you go run for an hour, that's another 600 calories or so you should be eating, bringing your total up to 1800.

Don't kill yourself exercising. Completely pointless. Just run that 500 calorie deficit every day.

And LOG YOUR FOOD.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Yes, if you're supposed to eat 1350 and you burn 500, you should eat those 500 back. Otherwise, your net is only 850 calories, and that's too low.

Think of it like a tank of gas. When you use up the gas in your car, you have to replace it, or your car won't run. It's the same with your body. If you're working out like crazy and not getting enough fuel, your body is going to start to break down and do whatever it can to conserve fuel.

If you burn 500 calories every day, then you should eat 1850 calories to stay at your net of 1350.
  • Thanks every one that is really helpful and youre right I went back and looked at my calories and what Ive been eating and its not as good as I thought.

If you're following MFP's guidelines, then yes you should be eating 1850.

Read these for more:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/383956-exercise-calories-explained
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf

As for all the different ideas...
    The fundamentals are the same for everyone, period. To lose weight, eat less than you burn throughout the day. To gain weight, eat more than you burn. How you accomplish that is up to you. It can be done with diet alone, or diet and exercise. If you choose to incorporate exercise, cardio and strength training affect the body differently but are generally good to do.

Thank you
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    I try to always stay positive and patient - so I try to avoid stressing over being stuck as I know from 2 years of this that weight loss is not linear. I began a new workout routine 3 weeks ago and have been absolutely stuck (even gaining a pound or two) ever since. I am pretty certain that this new routine will payoff (heavy lifting) so i try not to stress too much - but as I approach week 4 I feel the stress creeping in.

My point: just try to stick with it and be patient. Make sure you are eating enough and moving enough and your body will get in line when it is ready. Best of luck to you!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Can someone please tell me what macros are and any other acronym on here because I honestly done get it and I feel so dumb when Im trying to understand and I get more and more acronyms that I have never heard of or dont know what they truely are.....so frustrating :cry: I feel that I am the only person who doesnt understand because there is so much I dont know what to believe

Macros are fats, carbs and protein. Along with total cals, they are the only things a beginning logger should be concerned about (unless you have a health issue that warrants tracking things like sugar or sodium).

People will talk about the best ratio. For most people, it doesn't much matter, just have a good balance of the 3 as your body needs all 3 to function well/properly.
  • HolyNight
    HolyNight Posts: 1 Member
    There is absolutely no reason this would be happening to a healthy person. You are working out way too much (overtraining). Your body is probably freaking out. I had a similar circumstance last year. Have your thyroid checked. I ended up being hospitalized for mine for letting it go too long. I did not feel sick, and was eating very healthy and working out 15-20 hours a week, all kinds of stuff, running, lifting, metabolic workouts, you name it. Once we found out what the problem was and fixed it I began losing weight like a normal person again. Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Can someone please tell me what macros are and any other acronym on here because I honestly done get it and I feel so dumb when Im trying to understand and I get more and more acronyms that I have never heard of or dont know what they truely are.....so frustrating :cry: I feel that I am the only person who doesnt understand because there is so much I dont know what to believe

Macros are macronutrients. The big things that make up food: carbs, protein, fat. As opposed to micronutrients like vitamins and minerals.
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    I agree with some of the advice here. I looked at your diary. You are not eating many calories - that could be one thing - especially for someone who is exercising.

The kind of low cal, low fat eating you are doing doesn't work for every BODY. Google Dr. Peter Attia, a doc who is also a triathlete who worked out 4 hours a day and still couldn't lose weight. He documents his theories with well backed up science -- and perhaps a bit too much chemistry. :smile:

If you are willing to experiment for one week, try dropping your carbs to under 100 and up your fat intake (eating full fat versions of foods), you would see a big change in just one week. I lost 7 pounds the first two weeks and 3 inches off my waist.
  • Maybe use measurements not scales, I lost inches but gained weight! Make sure you eat plenty :)
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    I just want to say you might be losing inches, which is very good!! Have you tried measuring yourself weekly? But also, Muscles weigh more then fat. Working out in the gym will give you muscles!! I wish I could help you in other ways, but I'm not as good as some of the others on here!

1 lb = 1 lb whether it's muscle or fat.

1 lb of muscle takes up less space (more dense) than fat.

Oh geez. My eyes just rolled out of my head. She never said that 1lb of fat is lighter than 1lb of muscle.

She actually did say just that. "Muscles weigh more then fat" (I even left the typo in there!). I hope you can put your eyes back into your head and enjoy your weekend! :D
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    elaborate on "working out"

are you balanced in the 3-4 areas of exercise or are you only doing one?

You should spend equal-ish time on strength/weights, cardio/endurance, flexibility/rest and any hybrids of those that you create.

Are you only focusing all your work on one of those?