Best thing to do at the gym?

Options
I go to the gym 5 times a week and I usually go fro 45 minutes to an hour. I start on the elliptical for 20 minutes and then I do the 30 minute circuit that does cardio, arms, and legs. Other times I do the ellipical for 30 minutes and then another Cardio machine (I forget what its called) for 15 to 20 minutes.

I was told the best way to burn fat is cardio, so should I focus on Cardio more?

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    No.

Do a proper full body resistance routine.

Eat a moderate calorie deficit.

Cardio optional.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    A lot of people, me included; find that 'heavy lifting' burns calories pretty well - and goes to getting some muscle underneath.
    You can't measure the calorie burn usefully, but the scales represent it.
    You could look at something like 'starting strength' or 'strong lifts' to do 3 times a week. Probably give you the same sort of work out time with the rest periods.

I do 3 lots of this sort of thing, then running and the like on days I'm not doing the weights.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I agree that heavy lifting is the best avenue (I am a cardio/runner rehabilitated into a lifter). The lifting buns fat more effectively and helps change the shape of your body so you have all the benefits of a calorie deficit and reshaping your body while burnig fat instead of glycogen. Cardio is endurance (unless you do HIIT) - weight lifting is strength and power training.

i warmup with HIIT cardio for about 15-20 mminutes and then focus on free heavy weights to total about 60 minutes 3x per week
  • alysia9531
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm nervous about lifting weights since I have need done it before!
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Another vote for heavy lifting! Dead lift day is my favorite day!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    watch the hotties.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Lift and lift heavy :)
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm nervous about lifting weights since I have need done it before!
    Read up on 'good form' and watch the videos.

Start light and don't be embarrassed to do so - even starting with just an empty bar or lighter weight.

I have to admit to having been amused in the past to see someone doing the motions with either an empty or no bar at all - but I do the same now.

Move up a bit at a time and you should find you're pretty quickly getting the weight up.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift heavy!
    Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting are good books to start with, as is the website StrongLifts 5x5.
  • alysia9531
    Options
    Wel thanks everyone! Maybe someone will teach me when I'm there! I have little muscle mass and that's giving me credit!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Definitely lifting heavy things and putting them down. Cardio is weight lifting for the heart...30-45 minutes of aerobic cardio a few times per week. If you have a calorie deficit built into your diet (I assume you do), you don't need exercise to burn calories...you're already at a deficit...you're body is already going into fat stores for energy at that point. That's why with MFP you're supposed to eat back exercise calories...not doing so creates too large a deficit. The reason a lot of people say you have to do a bunch of cardio is because they are eating maintenance calories and trying to create the deficit with exercise...it's much easier to create the deficit in your diet.

Lift Heavy to preserve what lean body mass you have...lean body mass burns more calories throughout the day than doing a bunch of cardio. Use your cardio for general heart health.