Women and protien shakes

Options
Do you take protein shakes women? If so how long does it take to see results if you are weight lifting 4 times a week

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    A lot of women use protein shakes in order to help them reach their protein goals.

Protein shakes will not make a difference themselves when you are weight lifting. In order to see a difference you need to lift HEAVY (as in at about 8 reps you can't do anymore), consume adequate protein (which is where the shakes come in), and consume calories at a surplus of your TDEE. Your body needs calories along with that protein to build muscle.

I use protein shakes almost daily to help me reach my daily protein goals. I don't tend to get enough from my normal diet.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just an convenient way to get needed protein. There's nothing magical about them that will produce results on it's own.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 or 6 times a week heavy...I eat a diet 40% protein and it still took at least a year to see a total transformation of my body. It didn't get fat overnight and it doesn't change overnight.

Just concentrate on each workout and be patient....you'll start to see results before you know it!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Do you take protein shakes women? If so how long does it take to see results if you are weight lifting 4 times a week

what sort of results are you looking for? this is largely a function of whether you're in calorie deficit or surplus, and what your overall macros look like. discussing protein shakes in isolation is meaningless. context is needed.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I drink whey protein isolate or a rice/pea/cranberry blend and just ordered some casein. I can't force myself to eat enough protein so this is how I hit my target. It works for me :) I lift heavy and am just starting to eat at a surplus.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I agree with Now_or_never1. I don't waste my money on protein shakes or waste good protein unless I IS lifting heavy. HEAVY for ME. Everyone is anatomically different.

When I buy protein it's Gold Standard Whey and Casein. I love casein shakes at night before bed and whey before/post workouts. That's my preference.

I still eat a **** load of protein during the day; can's of albacore, beef or tky burgers, chicken breasts, eggs... throughout the day when lifting heavy.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I do protein shakes because: 1- they fill me up and keep the hungries away, 2 - extra protein cause I can't eat that much chicken in a day & 3 - to help repair muscle damage, not to "bulk" it. The last one least of all, I will do a scoop after major workouts.

I do Gold Standard 100% Whey, low carb & high protein :)
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Of course. Egg white protein specially vanilla custard is my favorite!
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I drink protein shakes for muscle recovery.... doesn't make a difference in terms of weight loss.
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are just an convenient way to get needed protein. There's nothing magical about them that will produce results on it's own.

yeap!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes for muscle recovery.... doesn't make a difference in terms of weight loss.

Me too!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Think of a protein shake like a vitamin. They are just a supplement to add more protein in your diet. They are no necessary but a good way to get calories and extra protein.
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes all the time and I am doing the ChaLean Extreme Progrm which has you lifting heavy weights and I have my protein @ 40%, I can't seem to get enough protein in my diet w/o using protein powder. I also use them for muscle recovery. Love to make a good smoothie using it (i put my veggies, fruit, protein and flaxseed/chia seeds for my omega-3 ) and get good supplements for my body all in one shot. :0)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by results? The reason I take protein shakes is to help me reach my macros.
  • rsharper97
    rsharper97 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 or 6 times a week heavy...I eat a diet 40% protein and it still took at least a year to see a total transformation of my body. It didn't get fat overnight and it doesn't change overnight.

Just concentrate on each workout and be patient....you'll start to see results before you know it!!

^^^^this!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    do not understand the question.

Results come from your work outs and your eating. Protein shakes may be a small part of half of the equation... I use protein shakes to hit my macros. I do not use them as meal replacements or any such nonsense. And if I wasn't a vegetarian, I probably wouldn't use them at all because I could hit my macros through proper eating alone.