Curbing Cravings

Options
I was wondering if anyone else had a certain technique or something that they do to curb cravings? I lucked out and don't have much of a sweet tooth (unless you have a Reese's) but I can bake cupcakes and cakes for potlucks and get togethers and say no. However, I have a problem saying no to other foods. Starchy foods. Potatoes mostly are my weakness. I liked them mashed, baked, fried, in tator tot form... any form. Right now I'm craving pizza. Nothing sounds better. I can't get it out of my head. I have a new favorite Greek yogurt that I ate and now I'm not hungry but I still want pizza. HELP!

Replies

• conniehv40
    conniehv40 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I wish it was easier to stop the cravings! Pizza isn't bad if you have one slice, log it and eat the rest of the day accordingly! If you can't stop at one piece (you could actually just buy a slice perhaps), I am finding I have to go do something-get out of the house or get out of the kitchen/tv room. Otherwise, I WILL eat what I am not supposed to eat!

If you are full (love greek yogurt for that purpose), go do something else--even go shopping and buy good foods to make a nice lunch for yourself -- around 400 calories --
    Good luck!!! It is NOT easy, but if you can start today, it will be easier tomorrow : )
  • cwick56
    cwick56 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mind over matter my friend. Distract yourself
  • thirstyflea
    thirstyflea Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've always been told to "give in" to strong cravings like that, or else you fixate on them and then may eventually give in a overindulge. So if I'm craving something like crazy and can't stop thinking about it, I plan it into a "cheat" meal of sorts. That way I get it out my system and can re-focus on my healthier eating habits again without my world consisting of say, cheeseburgers!

The key for me is to be in control of it- so don't eat a whole pizza, just a few slices, and share the rest of the pizza or freeze it for another time. If you have pizza on your mind, check out some of the frozen Weight Watchers or Lean Cuisine options. I know they're not the same, but they're not half bad, either... Or a half a potato and put the other half away for another craving attack. You could also try a sweet potato- they're better than the russets, I believe...

I don't know, I'm no expert, but it seems to work for me!
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on the carb thing. I crave a loaf of bread every other day. A whole loaf. With butter. Mmmmmm. Buuuuuuuuuter....

Ahem. Anyway, I find that having a healthier snack that kind of reminds me of what I'm craving is the answer. I keep 100 cal packs of chips, popcorn, and popcorn covered in chocolate at my desk. I try to eat fruit for snacks in the morning when I usually have sweet cravings and a nutty trail mix (for example) in the afternoon when I usually crave salty stuff. It's just about figuring out what works for you.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Usually if I have a craving that strong, I have it. I find that if I REALLY want something, it's easier for me to give in and have it. If I put it off and put it off, when I finally do give in, I'm more likely to binge on it. If I have whatever I'm craving, when I'm craving it, I can usually stick to 1 piece or a handful or whatever instead of half of the pizza or the whole bag of candy or whatever
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I find that slamming my hand in a drawer helps to take my mind off my cravings.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ allow your self to have a little of your craving. 1 slice of pizza won't hurt you, once in a while. If you have it everyday then well that will add up. If I am going to have something like pizza I like to make sure I have some salad before I have my slice, it helps me to feel full and to stay at once slice.

As for overall food cravings, most of it is mind over matter. It really does help to have a good protein meal for breakfast, w/in 1 hour of waking up. This will help set your system for the whole day and have overall less cravings.

I like to do the "apple" plan, when I am feeling that craving to help distinguish if it is just a craving of if I am hungry I grab an apple and look at it and think. Will this apple help fill me up , if the answer is yes then I eat the apple, if the answer is no I really want _______. Well then it is a craving and I am not really hungry so I don't eat, get some water and go do something. I also try to *kitten* as to why I want that item, i.e., is it a comfort food that makes me "feel: good, well then my craving is associated w/an emotion so I try to find something else to feel comforted not does not involve food.

I do know that some food cravings could mean you are low in an essential minerals or vitamins, so it is a good idea to find a good whole food multi-vitamin and minerels to help supplement. It is sad but a lot of our foods today are low in vitamins and minerals because much of the soil is depleted w/over cropping farming methods. Talke w/your doctor to see about getting tested on your vitamin and mineral levels, the most accurate test is a Hair Sample test (HTMA, Hair Tissue Mineral Test), which will also give you your toxic levels, plus what you should take to help w/that. It is more accurate then blood tests. Here is a site that explains it all really well. (thatnaturalstore.com/services/Hair/hair.html)
  • AlexT29
    AlexT29 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I'm full and still craving, I've found distraction to be the best course. I usually tell myself that I can have "that" after I do "this" - if I keep putting it off, usually I forget about it.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    i agree you should allow yourself to have a small portion of the food you are craving, however if this would make you feel too guilty etc you could try making a healthy version of the food you are craving. for your pizza craving why not try cauliflower pizza crust with different veggies and some chicken on top etc. x
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I find that slamming my hand in a drawer helps to take my mind off my cravings.

Ouch. I ate one piece and a breadstick. I don't feel bad though because I didn't binge and eat a half (or a whole) pizza or anything lol
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ allow your self to have a little of your craving. 1 slice of pizza won't hurt you, once in a while. If you have it everyday then well that will add up. If I am going to have something like pizza I like to make sure I have some salad before I have my slice, it helps me to feel full and to stay at once slice.

As for overall food cravings, most of it is mind over matter. It really does help to have a good protein meal for breakfast, w/in 1 hour of waking up. This will help set your system for the whole day and have overall less cravings.

I like to do the "apple" plan, when I am feeling that craving to help distinguish if it is just a craving of if I am hungry I grab an apple and look at it and think. Will this apple help fill me up , if the answer is yes then I eat the apple, if the answer is no I really want _______. Well then it is a craving and I am not really hungry so I don't eat, get some water and go do something. I also try to *kitten* as to why I want that item, i.e., is it a comfort food that makes me "feel: good, well then my craving is associated w/an emotion so I try to find something else to feel comforted not does not involve food.

I do know that some food cravings could mean you are low in an essential minerals or vitamins, so it is a good idea to find a good whole food multi-vitamin and minerels to help supplement. It is sad but a lot of our foods today are low in vitamins and minerals because much of the soil is depleted w/over cropping farming methods. Talke w/your doctor to see about getting tested on your vitamin and mineral levels, the most accurate test is a Hair Sample test (HTMA, Hair Tissue Mineral Test), which will also give you your toxic levels, plus what you should take to help w/that. It is more accurate then blood tests. Here is a site that explains it all really well. (thatnaturalstore.com/services/Hair/hair.html)

Thank you!
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth, i usually drink cinnamon or peppermint tea when i feel it coming on. But today......I went with it, oh well:) Mind over matter for the most part.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    We all get them. Cravings are a real physical thing, but I believe they are triggered by a lack of something. If I crave sweet things, then I check back in my diary and usually find that I am carb-low that day. I think its a way of your body telling you that your blood sugar is low but unrefined carbs will only add to that yo-yo-satisfaction-craving cycle. You say that you love potatoes, how much potato do you work into your daily diet? Try a sweet potato baked in a salt crust - there are lots of web sites that will tell you how to do this. Potatoes are not bad, per se, its the way they are cooked, and tater tots are a no-no (not that I can get 'em here in the UK).
    If I get a craving and I have eaten clean and well that day, then I will drink a hot coffee, and decide whether it's true hunger or appetite. If Its appetite, then the coffee will usually do it. Dont have stuff around that you know you are tempted by. Keep lots of fruit, almonds, almond or hazlenut milk around and have a glass of that - high in goodies and low in calories. If all else fails, and I have been in that situation more times than I care to confess to - then I find that fresh fruit dipped in stevia powder will whack my tastebuds and keep me from straying too far. If all that fails, go to bed early!
    I know its tough - we all go through exactly what you're describing here. Pizza will always be a part of your life, but NOT today.
    Good luck. Keep going.
    Best regards
    Lal.
  • dlkingsbury
    dlkingsbury Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    having one slice of pizza or one french fry doesn't work for me. i can't keep that stuff in the house. distract yourself by going and doing something active and then really ask yourself if you want to waste all the work you just did on that starchy food. drink a large class of water.
  • Ryanmariem
    Ryanmariem Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    [/quote]

You are welcome!

There is a lot of good information out there sometimes it just a matter of finding out what works best for you. Here are two books I have found very informative, "The Blood Sugar Solution" By, Dr. Mark Hyman and "The Calcium Lie" By, Dr. Robert Thompson. Both are good books w/an easy to follow plan. I like to take a little of each plan and modify them to fit my specific needs. What I like about both books is it talks about the vitamins and minerals we need and making our food our medicine.... really adds to the "you are what you eat" adage. Good luck and Keep up the good work! =)