No more headaches

Options
2 years ago I was almost 200lbs (5'2) I was eating poorly and NEVER exercising. I would get 2 to 3 headaches a week, always lasting 1 or 2 days each, some would be so bad I'd be on the brink of vomiting. It was horrible. Once I started exercising (and lost 60lbs) the headaches went away, completely. Then about a year ago I got lazy, stopped counting calories, stopped going to the gym (put 20lbs back on) and the headaches came back. Now that I'm once again back at the gym the headaches have stopped. Has this happened to any one else??

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Great to read!
    I started getting migraines a few years ago. I'm guessing it was weight and stress related. I haven't stopped the beta blocker yet to see if I don't start getting them again. I have to weight until my next physical in May. I'll show up there that morning after swimming a 5k and lifting weights for an hour. Hopefully I won't be too rank :bigsmile:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I was almost 200lbs (5'2) I was eating poorly and NEVER exercising. I would get 2 to 3 headaches a week, always lasting 1 or 2 days each, some would be so bad I'd be on the brink of vomiting. It was horrible. Once I started exercising (and lost 60lbs) the headaches went away, completely. Then about a year ago I got lazy, stopped counting calories, stopped going to the gym (put 20lbs back on) and the headaches came back. Now that I'm once again back at the gym the headaches have stopped. Has this happened to any one else??

get your blood pressure checked. high blood pressure can cause headaches. losing weight and eating right and exercise can help, but if you stop doing that and gain back the weight, your blood pressure can go back up.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Have always had perfect blood pressure even at 200lbs.
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    This hasn't happened to me, but it's happened to my mom. She used to get headaches regularly, just like you, even horrendous migraines that would leave her out of commission for a couple of days. Like me, she's battled with her weight for years, though unlike me hates vegetables and lighter foods in general.... At her heaviest (around 290ish) she was getting headaches nearly every other day. We've all heard about foods that can trigger such things, but my mom did research with her physician and here's what she found...

Patients with dietary-induced headaches are sensitive to tyramine-containing foods. Tyramine leads to dilation of the nerves in the brain, resulting in a rush of blood, which tiggers the headache. Tyramine is found in cheeses (especially the aged, strong and cheddar varieties), beer, wine, yeast, coffee, high-citrus fruits, bananas, eggs, spinach, and tomatoes. Also, phenylethylamine, theobromine, and caffeine are chemical triggers present in chocolate. These may also cause a headache by altering the cerebral blood flow. Additionally, nitrates and nitrites can be found in hot dogs (and other cured meats like bacon, ham and salami), beets, lettuce, celery, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower and potatoes.

...Okay, so does this mean that you should cut out all of these foods from your diet? Not at all. But chances are, IF your headaches are in fact linked to your diet and not caused by some other physiological factor, your diet may consist of too many of these at any one time. My mom has been up and down the scale, but every time she lost a substantial amount (over 50 lbs) by incorporating a wider variety of foods, her headaches ceased to be an issue.

Best thing you can do to know for sure, though, is to consult with a doctor. :smile: Good luck!
  • scress0514
    scress0514 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    i have an illness and have been diagnosed with chronic migraines, i have found that alot of spices in foods trigger the headachs and i no longer can eat them. If you pay attention to what your eating and when the headaches come on then you can figure out what is triggering them. Stay away from that kind of food. I have found dairy is a problem for me late in the day, fast food is a big NO NO, sugar in very small amounts if at all....i have a huge list for myself, you just have to figure out your own list.....good luck!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    The odd thing is other than reducing my intake I never eliminated or changed my diet much when I lost the weight yet the headaches still completely ceased so I am thinking it is directly related to the exercising and not so much my diet? Not sure.
  • Jribeiro86
    Jribeiro86 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The odd thing is other than reducing my intake I never eliminated or changed my diet much when I lost the weight yet the headaches still completely ceased so I am thinking it is directly related to the exercising and not so much my diet? Not sure.

Well, when we work out more, our bodies process nutrients differently and more efficiently. So I suppose it's possible that a combination of reducing the foods that trigger your headaches (with smaller portions) and exercising regularly (and therefore absorbing the nutrients from these foods more fully) would result in fewer headaches over all. Either way, if it's working, keep doing it!! haha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!