Hypothyroidism and weight loss

Options
Hi is there anyone who suffers from hypothyrodism?
Putting on weight despite efforts to control calories and doing exercise?
Any nutritional and weight loss tips that you can share?

Replies

• tiffers1003
    tiffers1003 Posts: 10
    Options
    YES! I was diagnosed last year with hypothyroidism. I'm having a tough week with gaining 4 lbs this week; and I've been in my calorie range and working out everyday. My dr switched me from armour thyroid to a new medicine, but I haven't filled it yet because I have this fear of gaining weight, as he said was a side affect. I find I have better results with low carb diets, not restricted but monitored. I have more proteins and veggies and it boosts my metabolism. Glad to find someone else in the same boat!
  • yazi_livefit
    yazi_livefit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have had my thyroid removed several years ago and I am taking synthroid to supplement. Talk to your doctor and get blood work done if you haven't done it yet. You might need a higher dose of T3 or T4 hormone. Also choose healthy food eat lots of greens and add exercise. It is true that when your hormones are off it is much harder to lose weight but what your mind can do to your body is much worse!! Stop thinking that slow progress is due to the thyroid and refocus your thoughts and analyze your diet and your workout plan. You might be surprised how much your mind regulates your health and your overall well being. Think positive eat less but more often and exercise !!!

Best of luck!!
    Yazi
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    yes have same problem, i have just been trying to stay in the calorie budget and eat more protiens and exercise..
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Have you guys gotten medication from your dr? When I started taking meds weight started falling off so easily. There are also a lot of good natural thyriod OTC meds.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I do and take synthroid medication for it and have had no problem losing weight, other than the standard plateaus that occur along the way. Did go to my doctor recently for an annual check-up and she upped my synthroid level based on my blood work and indicated I should see more weight loss because of it. If you are not being medicated for this condition, I strongly urge you to talk with your doctor.
  • mrsdoc521
    mrsdoc521 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have Hoshimotos Disease which is a form of Hypothryroidism. I take Armour Thyroid and it has done so well for me. I love that there aren't the nasty side effects like the synthetics. I too had an easier time dropping the weight once my body was in a better balance. adarns.. what do you take to help you stay balance that is OTC and natural? Because i have the Hypo, i also have a slow adrenal gland. Does anyone else have this same issue?
  • cinnister
    cinnister Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 1999 when I dropped about 70 lbs in 2 months. They did a radiation treatment which basically killed my thyroid. For the first year or two I had to get my thyroid levels checked every 3 months. Now that it's stable I get them checked every 6 months. During those couple years when they were trying to get my meds right I would gain a ton of weight if my levels were too low, sleep a lot, have dry skin, etc. There was nothing I could do to lose the weight during that period. So my best advise is to get your thyroid and B12 levels checked every 3 months if you are not within normal ranges and every 6 months if you are. I take Levothyroxine, 075mg. :)
  • proudarmywifeandmommy
    Options
    I had my thyroid out in 2003. It is a hard fought journey to lose the weight but it is possible. You need to make sure you medicine is regulated because having a higher TSH will cause you block on your weight loss. It isn't your thyroid that makes you gain the weight, it is the symptoms that come along with it, such as depression and stress. I feel very lucky to have the number two Endocrinologist in the world for my doctor and he is the best. You can do it, it just takes time and real determination to eat right. Your thyroid is your regulator in your body. It is like the motor in a car. The car won't run without it and your body can't run properly without the meds. Work on getting the meds straight and the other will fall in line.
  • aling01
    aling01 Posts: 163
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism last year and got treated and become Hypo earlier this year. Been back and forth to the dr and finally got the right dosage to get me back to normal. I did noticed that when your hormone levels are almost back to where they should be, it gets easier to lose weight. Not as fast as pre-hypothyroidism but still good.

I've been able to start gym again since February and well I eat correctly for the most part but will jump off the band wagon quite a few times (like the past 2.5 weeks) but I managed to get down from 192 down to 176. It just takes time.
  • tmapp40
    tmapp40 Posts: 1
    Options
    i had my thyroid removed a couple of years ago and my doctor advised me to do extreme calorie counting and lots of excercise in order to lose weight. he says we have to realize that our bodies aren't going to react to conventional diets. once the weight is lost, keep doing the excerise but add small amounts of calories at a time and monitor any weight gain. if you gain weight, restrict to where you previously were. we may need to cut and additional 100 calories and do an additional day of cardio. i been testing my own body to see what works. i've found that when i do low carb, i feel so restricted that i don't sustain the diet very long. i've also started the insanity workout program along with a low fat, low cal diet. i don't feel deprived eating like this. also, no more eating after 7. this is a battle but i have friends that are in the same boat and have been successful losing over time. be strong and hang in there. for the first time in the last two years, i've noticed changes in my weight and my boday. good luck
  • sabb2010
    sabb2010 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism about 3 months ago. And, it was bad!! But now I am on Tapazole and will be scheduled to take the radioactive treatment. I have no tumors in my thyroid. My questions is that any of you choose the surgery over the pills? I have a 2 years old and I dont want him exposed whatsoever. Thanks alot (in advance). I appreciate everyone in taking time to read my post. Good luck with the thyroid and God bless! Have a great day!
  • tjptaylor
    tjptaylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2000. What I have found over the years is that as long as my levels are in a range that is good for me (under 2 is where i'm best), I don't have a problem losing. If your levels are in the right range for you, you should be able to lose. If you are not losing have a discussion with your dr. Anything under 5 and over 1 is "Normal". If I'm over 2.5 I'm off -- not only does my metabolism come to a screaching halt, my blood pressure goes up.

PLEASE do not use any OTC if you have been diagnosed. Getting your levels in the right place can take months! The last time I was off it was a good 6 months to get in a good place. Be sure you speak up about your symptoms with your DR. Also, check the instructions on your meds --mine I need to take an hour before food and not with any vitamins. Iron will stop the absorption of my Levoxyl.

HTH!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I have Hoshimotos Disease which is a form of Hypothryroidism. I take Armour Thyroid and it has done so well for me. I love that there aren't the nasty side effects like the synthetics. I too had an easier time dropping the weight once my body was in a better balance. adarns.. what do you take to help you stay balance that is OTC and natural? Because i have the Hypo, i also have a slow adrenal gland. Does anyone else have this same issue?

I have Hashimotos too. I just started taking Synthroid a few months ago, but am still really struggling with weight loss. I am also gluten-intolerant and being tested for Celiac's. I am having my follow-up with my thyroid doctor next week, and my antibody levels re-checked. But, it has certainly been a struggle. 1 year ago, I was about 4 pounds from my goal weight of 135. Today, I am about 158 :explode:
  • marreiros7
    marreiros7 Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for your comments. I'm nearly on the highest dose of thyroxine and my t3 and t4 come up normal. Yet i cant stop putting om weight since i stopped taking reductil (a weight loss tablet that is now off the market in europe). i ride my bike to work everyday and i am counting calories but not enough. I will try reducing carbs. Although i hope this does not effect my energy levels which are low at the mo. Thanks again and please keep sharing any tips that work for you. I feel alone in this battle and it's good to have others to share knowledge and hopefully motivation.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    if hypothyroidism is uncontrolled, its impossible for u NOT to gain weight.
    make sure its controlled! ur thyroid meds act exactly like ur hormones.

this to me is like diabetes in many ways. many patients are perfectly healthy when disease is controlled.

good luck to u allll!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    YES! I was diagnosed last year with hypothyroidism. I'm having a tough week with gaining 4 lbs this week; and I've been in my calorie range and working out everyday. My dr switched me from armour thyroid to a new medicine, but I haven't filled it yet because I have this fear of gaining weight, as he said was a side affect. I find I have better results with low carb diets, not restricted but monitored. I have more proteins and veggies and it boosts my metabolism. Glad to find someone else in the same boat!

Yes, controlled carb is the way to go with Thyroid issues.

Eating whole, unprocessed natural foods is the way to keep the metabolism stoked. Processed foods and chemicals mostly stop the metabolism and reek havoc on the body as a whole.

I am struggling right now with getting a new doctor to listen to me with my thyroid issues.

I just got blood work taken for Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Just curious what a "controlled carb" diet would look like? What percentage do those of you that eat this kind of diet have your carbs percentage set at in your "goals" section of MFP? :huh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Just curious what a "controlled carb" diet would look like? What percentage do those of you that eat this kind of diet have your carbs percentage set at in your "goals" section of MFP? :huh:

A controlled carb plan can look like several things.........

Doing a structured plan such as South Beach, Atkins, Primal Blue Print, etc...........as there are many others.

It can also be your own plan.............eating adequate protein and fats, lots of veggies and some fruit. Basically a pretty natural eating plan.

I have been told eating 150 grams of carbs per day or less is a controlled carb plan. Different levels work for each person, you will have to find what works for you.
  • cinnister
    Options
    After being on the same dose of levothroxine (spelling??) for many years, I started to gain weight again, was very tired, really bad heart palpitations, checked my TSH level and it was .66. I'm not 6 months later, they've changed my dose twice, TSH last week was .62 and I've gained 30 lbs, even with working out 4-5 days a week, Zumba, Abs & Glutes class and biking. My doc told me last week if I don't start feeling better very soon he thinks I should try the "natural" thyroid medicine - Armor or Armour. Have any of you heard of it? Are you taking it? If so, what results have you seen?
  • cinnister
    Options
    I've been on Armour Thyroid for almost 8 weeks now and I'm feeling pretty good. I also started taking a multi-vitamin, which I've never done before so that could be helping as well. I'm participating in a 60-day challenge at my local gym to lose weight, something I haven't done in at least 8 or 9 months and the first two weeks I lost 4 lbs and 3'' off my waist. I'm feeling pretty good about that. :)