started my day with carbs! big mistake!

Options
I've been trying to go low carb for the past week or so, and every morning I do well with greek yogurt. but today I had oatmeal instead. Now I know you should start your day with carbs for energy and all that , but for me it starts a downward spiral for the whole day! after the oatmeal I was ravenous and still am! Any suggestions?

Replies

• sStephSs26
    sStephSs26 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Go bury yourself in a hole and hide from the world because you made a horrible, horrible mistake that you will regret until the end of your natural life.
  • Roseagh
    Roseagh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1. Stop beating yourself up!!! EVeryone has a day when their eating doesn't go according to plan. No use worrying about it, coz if you're like me, it'll make the spiral deeper and faster, and you'll just stuff yourself with the food that you really want to avoid.
    2. add protein with your carbs, like eggs, or cottage cheese. Salmon etc of you can on toast. Still getting carbs but not so much. Protein is what you need to feel full (if I understand it correctly)

just relax and don't be so hard on yourself.. we can't be fantastic everyday :)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I do cottage cheese for breakfast for a wallop of fat+protein.

If I do oatmeal, I do old-fashioned oats (not quick or instant). And I add some fat of some kind - I've seen some people add peanut butter. I put a dollop of the kids' whole milk on, or even a little bit of butter.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    I eat oatmeal in the morning...add a tablespoon of chia seeds to up my protein. Love oatmeal in the morning...
  • willieswenson
    Options
    Just be careful, when you go without carbs for awhile, sweet tastes can trigger un reasonable cravings. I went on ZERO carbs a year ago when I lost 60 pounds but when I tasted Waffle Crisp for the first time in years, I starting eating boxes at a time.

Try fats and proteins in the morning as others suggested.

Whole eggs or peanut butter with almonds or cottage cheese^^ as mentioned.

If I understand correctly, Eating carbs after awaking can have a larger effect on insulin due to a fast from 6-8 hours, so it may contribute to an energy crash, especially if you are on very low carbs.

Hope this helps.
  • MellifluousGirl
    MellifluousGirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a great way to start the day--especially if you add some fiber-rich fruit, like apples or blueberries. It always keeps me full. Adding a Tbsp (or less) of walnuts can add some protein to sustain. Have you read "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman or "The Plant-Based Diet" by Sharon somebody? They both have great recipes & amazing advice. Dr. Fuhrman's book has literally changed my life. I lost 15 lbs in a month--which is a lot for me. I've only had this kind of weight-loss (or "health-GAIN," as I like to say) one other time in my life--and that was when I got divorced. Haha. :laugh: Bulk up on some dark greens, too. If you squeeze orange or lemon on a dark green salad, you won't get as many calories, it tastes great, and you get all that fiber & nutrients to help your body feel okay with letting go of calories. Best of luck! :smile:
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    You should have a protein with every carb you eat. Protein keeps you full longer and will reduce hunger. You could have had egg whites with your oatmeal and some fruit and that would be a perfect breakfast for everyday!
  • MellifluousGirl
    Options
    Also, drink a LOT of water. We are "supposed" to get half our weight in ounces each day. So, a person who weighs 128 pounds would need 64 ounces (8 cups) of water each day. Most people I know don't get anywhere near this.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein with the carbs, that helps a lot! I eat several small meals a day and include protein in every one of them! It helps with keeping you satisfied! I like homemade banana oatmeal muffins, with some natural peanut butter! YUM!
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I've eaten oatmeal for breakfast for 149 days consecutively.... (Execpt on fast days...) Don't sweat it :P
  • MellifluousGirl
    Options
    I eat oatmeal for breakfast every day. I never thought of adding chia seeds; sounds delicious. I have added ground flaxseed, and I almost always add a handful of frozen blueberries. I used to eat my oatmeal with brown sugar, so I've come a long way. :smile:
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For me it doesn't seem to matter when I eat cereal (oats, any whole grain type), I want more all day. I will be eating a bowl of cereal for dinner more times than not. I do have a protein with my cereal.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Try adding some protein with the carbs, that helps a lot! I eat several small meals a day and include protein in every one of them! It helps with keeping you satisfied! I like homemade banana oatmeal muffins, with some natural peanut butter! YUM!

RECIPE
    Coop/prep time: 30 mins. Makes 12 muffins. Oat flour is just regular old oatmeal in powder form, which you will do by food processing. 2 cups rolled oats yields 1 ½ cup oat flour (refer to step #3 in directions below for details on that). I also have made these with chocolate chips and they’re great!
    YOU NEED:
    1 ¼ cup rolled oats
    1 ½ cup oat flour (refer to #3)
    1/2 cup plain, low fat yogurt
    1/2 cup low fat milk or soy milk
    1/2 cup brown sugar(or splenda version)
    1/3 cup sunflower oil
    2 large, really ripe bananas mashed
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 lightly beaten egg
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 cup raisins, walnuts or both(i use both)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon(I use a tad more because i love cinnamon)
    DIRECTIONS
    Preheat oven to 400°
    Mix rolled oats, yogurt and milk together in a bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes.
    It will require about 2 cups of rolled oats to make the 1 1/2 cups or oat flour you need. Just pulse the 2 cups rolled oats in the food processor until they turn to a powdery consistency (like dry grits).
    Now, combine oat flour, salt, sugar, spices, baking powder and baking soda in a separate bowl.
    Add mashed banana, egg and oil to the rolled oat mixture and mix well.
    Now add dry oat flour mixture to rolled oat mixture and mix together well. Add in nuts and/or raisins if desired and incorporate evenly. Chocolate chips are great too!
    Fill greased or lined muffin cups 2/3 of the way. Bake for approximately 16-20 minutes.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Just be careful, when you go without carbs for awhile, sweet tastes can trigger un reasonable cravings. I went on ZERO carbs a year ago when I lost 60 pounds but when I tasted Waffle Crisp for the first time in years, I starting eating boxes at a time.

Try fats and proteins in the morning as others suggested.

Whole eggs or peanut butter with almonds or cottage cheese^^ as mentioned.

If I understand correctly, Eating carbs after awaking can have a larger effect on insulin due to a fast from 6-8 hours, so it may contribute to an energy crash, especially if you are on very low carbs.

Hope this helps.
    This dude is right on the money! After fasting for 8 hours your insulin spikes (fast) and is what causes that "crash". If you eat the oatmeal, best to have something ready to fork down in 45 minutes (a little protein fat and carb). You body got seriously PO'ed at you. But the good news.....your probably gonna live.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Starting the day with carbs is MUCH better than ending them with carbs. You'll need most of the energy you can get from food in the beginning of the day. The director of trainign at my gym recommended that you eat the most carbs at breakfast, and taper down throughout the day.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Man isn't this the truth! I don't go completely without carbs but I keep them very low due to a thyroid condition. I do ok without eating sweets. But if I decide to blow it and eat something sweet, it takes me days to rein myself in! It sets off cravings of nuclear proportions.
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to go low carb for the past week or so, and every morning I do well with greek yogurt. but today I had oatmeal instead. Now I know you should start your day with carbs for energy and all that , but for me it starts a downward spiral for the whole day! after the oatmeal I was ravenous and still am! Any suggestions?

I am on a moderate carb diet (about 100-120 grams/day) and I can totally relate. If I eat high glycemic carbs in the morning I am done. Downward spiral-insulin spike- low blood sugar- eat sugar- insulin-..... I now eat bacon, eggs and sausage for breakfast every day- no exceptions. The fat gives me a flat blood sugar. On workout days, I get up, drink coffee, on the way into the gym I eat an apple. Good luck.