Question about Body Fat Percentage

Options
Hello everyone! I have a question about my body fat percentage. I am 5'6'' and weigh 168.8 pounds. My body fat percentage is 28.8. I used the calculator linked below to find out what my weight should be if I wanted my body fat percentage to be 22%.

http://exrx.net/Calculators/WeightBodyComp.html

It told me that I should weigh 154 pounds. According to body weight charts, a more "ideal" weight is around 140-145. Is this telling me that because of my body type, 154 is more "typical" for me than 140? I have 140 as my goal but it would appear that would make my body fat too low?

Replies

• runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have a question about my body fat percentage. I am 5'6'' and weigh 168.8 pounds. My body fat percentage is 28.8. I used the calendar linked below to find out what my weight should be if I wanted my body fat percentage to be 22%.

It told me that I should weigh 154 pounds. According to body weight charts, a more "ideal" weight is around 140-145. Is this telling me that because of my body type, 154 is more "typical" for me than 140? I have 140 as my goal but it would appear that would make my body fat too low?

Body weight charts usually take into account the average body type--specifically, the average amount of muscle a given person has. If you have more muscle than the average person (which your current body fat %/weight would indicate), then a higher weight is going to give you a similar look to a person who has less muscle at a lower weight.

Keep measuring your body fat % as you lose. Generally speaking, if you're a woman you don't want to go lower than 18-20%ish (unless you're a high-functioning athlete), and if you're a man you don't want to go lower than 13%ish (again, unless you have designs to be a bodybuilder or competitive athlete). Anything above those numbers is still fine!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    It's assuming that you will lose no lean body mass - that the loss will be entirely fat. If you make an entry in the box titled "Predicted Lean Weight Change (optional)", the goal weight will change.
  • feelagain
    Options
    Thank you! I thought that may be the answer. I'd love to weigh in the 140s but I am naturally muscular. I will just have to learn that the way I look > the number on the scale. I'll keep an eye on it as I lose more weight though and see how it turns out.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I will just have to learn that the way I look > the number on the scale....
    There's the key! People don't see a scale number floating over your head - they see the body you've transformed! Focus on your BF% and what you're seeing in the mirror, you'll probably be much happier with the results than relying on a scale number.
  • Doctorpurple
    Doctorpurple Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I have a question about my body fat percentage. I am 5'6'' and weigh 168.8 pounds. My body fat percentage is 28.8. I used the calculator linked below to find out what my weight should be if I wanted my body fat percentage to be 22%.

First off how did you find your body fat percentage. A lot of body fat measuring systems are inaccurate. The tanita (biompemdance), as well as the caliper method are usually the most inaccurate. The best way measure is through hydrostatic, bod pod or dexa scan. If these are the methods you use then go by what the calculator said. But, if you used a the less accurate versions of body fat testing, I would suggest to stick with your goal of 140 lbs for now and see what happens the closer you are to your goal. I'm sure you can tell if your body fat gets too low.
  • marcharing
    Options
    Just check in the mirror. Getting too lean i.e. below 10% is practically impossible for the average person so you don't need to worry about it. Just get lean enough to think yep, that looks good.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I weigh 160 pounds, according to BMI, I am way into the overweight range (nearly obese!!), but my BF% is 30%, which is between "good" and "average". According to BMI, the highest "healthy" weight for me is 130. My goal, however, is 140 with a BF% of 26. BMI does not take muscle mass into consideration. You can see from my pic that I look pretty lean and healthy and to take another 30lbs off would be scary.

All that to say, I'm not thinking about the scale or BMI, I'm focusing on my BF%. It seems to give a much better indication of health. If I wanted to get to this arbitrary number on the scale, I'd have to give up muscle and I'd rather weigh more and look lean and toned than just hit that number on the scale.

In the past 6 weeks I have only lost 2lbs of weight overall, but 12lbs of body fat. I've lost one size and it looks like I've lost a ton of weight, but that's because the fat is gone and the muscle has moved in. And I like it!

Good luck!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

sounds like you have a large frame and/or more muscle mass than average.

I'm 5'1", the BMI range for my height is 100-132lb, I currently weigh 130lb and my lean body mass is about 101lb and my body fat percentage is 22%. To get into the middle or lower end of BMI I'd have to starve off lean body mass, i.e. muscle mass and bone density. No way that's healthy.

Body fat percentage is far, far more reliable than BMI. People do not have identical frame sizes, and frame size does not always correlate with height (i.e. you can get short, large framed people like me, and tall, small framed people too) BMI assumes that everyone has the same size frame, i.e. average.

so yeah, definitely go for the weight that you would be at your ideal body fat percentage, and not the BMI one
  • joanner08
    joanner08 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @oohmercyme
    How did you loose so much fat in such a short time without loosing muscle. What is your secret?