menopause and weight loss

Options
Are there any women out here in fitness land that have gone through menopause finding it hard to lose weight.. I am getting very frustrated because I am on a 1200 calorie diet and I lose really slowly or not at all.. I went through early menopause due to cancer and I have been fighting the battle of the bulge ever since..Any tips would be great.:heart:

Replies

• mejackiev
    Options
    Help any one
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I hear you! Feels as though my metabolism came to a screeching halt. I am finally doing some strength training at home, which I think helps me. Just have to keep the motivation to continue. Plus, consume enough water. Looking forward to other comments and suggestions.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    are you taking HRT? I know there is a lot of debate about it - but I am in surgical menopause, using the lowest/safest form of HRT, and I continued my weight loss and then maintenance with no trouble at all after the surgery. Consider joining the near or post menopausal group - they are a nice group of ladies with a lot of wisdom to offer.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked!

I went through it 5yrs ago when I was 39 and it was the beginning of me getting fat. i've only just started trying to lose weight properly (rather than tinkering with the idea) so i'm no expert in whether it will be easier or harder now but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along in a moment to enlighten us both.

I'm sure after the initial burst of lbs dropping off i'll plateau in about 2wks time!
  • beanerific518
    Options
    My mom has been struggling with this as well. I encourage you to strength train and eat enough protein to maintain / increase your lean muscle mass. Also, limit your refined carbs - pasta, white bread, sugar, etc.
  • mejackiev
    Options
    are you taking HRT? I know there is a lot of debate about it

I am not sure what HRT is could you give me more info on it thanks :blushing:
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    HRT is hormone replacement therapy. I never went on it. I had a hysterectomy at 32, and never really noticed anything going on. I'm sure I went through menopause at some point. I am 58 now.
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am not on HRT. Luckily, I have not had many issues. I do believe the strength training is important. I am also attempting to increase my veggie/fruit intake.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I went through menopause sometime in my early 50s. No impact on my weight although I'd already gained about 15 lbs. due to remarrying at 50 and eating the home cooking of my wonderful househusband instead of frozen Weight Watchers for dinner!

I've finally dropped it off over the last 2 years by 5:2 fasting and kicking up my exercise. I now average an hour workout every day- used to be 35-40 minutes- and I have a heart rate monitor which really shows me how hard I'm working (or not working). I'm not on HRT or any other meds. I'm definitely getting more than 1200 calories a day but dont' count them, and I burn around 400 calories in a workout.

Same boring stuff- eat less, move more- but I'm fitting into thing sthat have been in the back of my closet for 15 years.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    After menopause, it became super easy to put on weight and hard as hell to get it off.

I find it's better to go with a low weekly goal and really work on the strength training. More muscle is the only thing that's really going to help.
  • lespez
    lespez Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes i find it alot harder now to lose weight than I did when younger. I try and incorporate weight training every week to ensure I don't lose any muscle mass. I haven't started in HRT yet but the herbal stuff doesn't seam to work as good as it used to. I also work 12 hour shifts and nights for find it kinda hard to not snack!!!!!
  • mejackiev
    Options
    LOL I have to laugh at my self because I did not know what HRT. LOL I thought it was some herbal supplement that I could take.. Truth is I am not allowed to have HRT because I had cancer and my doctor recommended against it.. So alas I have to stay on my diet and hope for the best.:laugh: :tongue: :blushing:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing HRT either, too many negative side effects from it so I just suffer the hot flashes. You can lose weight, just more slowly. Read In Place of a Road Map to help figure out you calorie goal and go from there.You may have to tweak to find your magic number. I started at 1350 and was losing so decided to bump it up about 150 and stalled. So I recently went back to 1350. I feel that treating this as my permanent way of eating rather than a diet I can deal with the slow loss and not get discouraged.

I also agree with the strength training advice. It will not only make your muscles look good, but having more muscle burns more calories.