Post Workout Hair

Options
2»

Replies

• tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    Also, I have to say I was totally disappointed when I read this post. I thought it was going to be PICTURES of post workout hair. Mine is f***ing sexy as hell after a nice sweaty workout. ;)

Awh, well. Can't win 'em all I guess.
  • Gracerrr
    Gracerrr Posts: 141
    Options
    I don't wash my hair after each workout. I take a shower every day, but only wash my hair with shampoo every other day. I use conditioner like once a month.
  • TrishaCooper423
    TrishaCooper423 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a stylist, and yes.... it is true. Your hair has natural oils. Unless your hair is over oily, the best idea is to only wash it every other day.... if you can even go 2 days without washing, that is even better! Also, you can always get some Redken Anti-Snap. It will help add the protein back in your hair!
  • butterbean4283
    butterbean4283 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    two words: dry shampoo.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Could you be washing too often?

Also hot water (especially HOT HOT) can damage your hair and dry out your scalp. I know people tend to take more hot showers in the winter.

I wash once a day with shampoo. I use conditioner once a month maybe.
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of doing a "no-poo" thing? I stopped using shampoo about 3 months ago. I wash my hair with baking soda then condition it with apple cider vinegar (it doesn't smell or anything). I have had no problems with post workout hair. Before starting this, I had really dry hair that would then look really oily the next day. I would research this a bit if it intrigues you. It took about 4 weeks for my hair to become adapted to not being washed everyday but now I can go 3-4 days without washing it if I need to.

I use apple cider vinegar too but I can't use it all the time, the smell is so strong and lasts for a couple days after i use it! I love what it does for my hair but the smell is a bit much :ohwell: maybe my hair is just super absorbent or something cuz I have the same problems with smoke smells too... lasts days even after multiple washes. Maybe I'll try the baking soda! I know it neutralizes other odors!
  • ChloeRoseLejeune
    Options
    don't wash your hair everyday, i usually wear headbands after my workout to hide the oil, if there is any.
    but then again my scalp doesn't produce much oil.
  • kymkan
    kymkan Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is totally silly but my hair is now really dry, working out 6 days a week and taking a shower after (with hairwashing) is drying my hair out. I talked to my stylist (& she is worth the $$) this week and she said to only rinse my hair every other day and then condition it. Is anyone else having this problem? Have you heard of this method? She also told me to put conditioner in my hair before swimming.
    I know first world problem but a girls' gotta have good hair to go with her healthy body right?

:bigsmile:
    AnnMarie

My stylist told me not to wash every day and just to 'rinse' well every other day. It's hard to do that with my fine hair (I feel like it's dirty if I don't shampoo), but every day (sometimes twice after workouts) is definitely enough to dry it out.
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    dont wash it, blow dry it, then use dry shampoo/sea salt spay if needed. dirtier the better :)
  • morningmud
    morningmud Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    That's why I only shampoo 2-3 times per week. I do sometimes use some dry shampoo but mostly, if the roots get a bit oily looking, I just tease it then pull it back into a half-up do and it looks fine.
  • mzjessicaxo
    mzjessicaxo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY! only do it every second day, if you need a boost (or it looks a bit greasy from the gym) try some dry shampoo (easy to find at the drug store)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Okay so this is totally silly but my hair is now really dry, working out 6 days a week and taking a shower after (with hairwashing) is drying my hair out. I talked to my stylist (& she is worth the $$) this week and she said to only rinse my hair every other day and then condition it. Is anyone else having this problem? Have you heard of this method? She also told me to put conditioner in my hair before swimming.
    I know first world problem but a girls' gotta have good hair to go with her healthy body right?

:bigsmile:
    AnnMarie
    YES....at least I really noticed it when I really started working out as frequently as you are now. I regularly do the rinse & condition thing every other wash, and even use a leave-in conditioner overnight when I think of it. I did notice that its not so much of an issue anymore. I bought some Argan oil at one point and sometimes put a bit of that through my hair before blow drying too!
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    Have you tried Biotin or Collagen pills?!?!
  • Derpina7
    Derpina7 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I use dry shampoo between days I don't wash my hair (I usually wash it every 3-4 days). My hair is pretty flat/straight, so I think the oil in my hair becomes a lot more noticeable - the dry shampoo completely absorbs it, not to mention gives a bit of volume! :P
  • shakey68
    shakey68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't have the option but to wash my hair because it gets so sweaty. I have a lot of hair and use a fair bit of conditioner. Have you tried the Alberto hot oil treatments? Not as expensive as your stylist but it does work.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Shampoo & condition every other day then dry shampoo if your hair needs a spruce up on the off day!

I wash, blow dry then curl mine every other day and it's not dry at all.

Use a shampoo & conditioner suitable for dry hair types. If it's really bad pop into your salon and see about a conditioning treatment. They work wonders! :)
  • JGT2004
    JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    bump
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I will do the rinse and conditioner so I don't have to shampoo every day. I think it works fine..=)
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Have you thought of doing a "no-poo" thing? I stopped using shampoo about 3 months ago. I wash my hair with baking soda then condition it with apple cider vinegar (it doesn't smell or anything). I have had no problems with post workout hair. Before starting this, I had really dry hair that would then look really oily the next day. I would research this a bit if it intrigues you. It took about 4 weeks for my hair to become adapted to not being washed everyday but now I can go 3-4 days without washing it if I need to.

I use apple cider vinegar too but I can't use it all the time, the smell is so strong and lasts for a couple days after i use it! I love what it does for my hair but the smell is a bit much :ohwell: maybe my hair is just super absorbent or something cuz I have the same problems with smoke smells too... lasts days even after multiple washes. Maybe I'll try the baking soda! I know it neutralizes other odors!

You can try adding in some peppermint oil and or tea trea oil :) it helps balance out the vinegar smell. you might have really porus hair that really abosorbs the odor. Also you can try just putting it on your scalp and letting it rinse through your hair except for every few days...might help with the smell :)